ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gambit's Project Trophy

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Hi Guys,
Thought i'd share my project.
Picked up #126 just the other week. Previously owned a 172 PH2 in Oz before with mild mods, and now that i'm in the UK thought i'd go back to where it all started. Always wanted a Trophy and now the dream has been realised.

As far as modifications previous owner installed a Yozzasport cat back, and an RS tuner remap. Recently had the Sachs rebuilt which is a relief.
Anyhow here is a shot of the beauty after a fang through the Cotswolds.
i-2fKFQcB-L.jpg

It needs a little TLC to get it back to its prime, wheels need a refurb, which i plan to do shortly. Suspension bushes need a refresh, engine bay needs a major cleanup and the body work could do with a detail In the meantime brought these Oz Ultraleggeras whilst the Turinis get refurbed as a stop gap.
i-gVSjQ7N-L.jpg

Decided to powder coat them and refurb them before fitting them temporally and here is the end result and such a beautiful looking wheel in matt black.
i-9mRNpf4-L.jpg

Unfortunately the steering wheel suffered from the common melted rubber, so i had Royal Steering Wheels retrim the wheel in full black alacantatra with red stitching and decided to add a touch of carbon to finish it off. Perfect now!
i-qQbgddt-L.jpg

Thats it thus far, but i have lots of subtle plans to bring it back to as new a condition as i can get within reason. No major modification that will change the character of it but just personalise it for myself.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Been pretty busy with this car, added new:
floor mats, bosch aero twin wipers, headlight globes to phillips 5000k ultrablue visions, rear led for number plate, new rear number plate case, gave the Yozzasport a polish up too.

Had the Turini wheels fully refurbished and powder coated in Anthracite also treated the car to a full detail at Summit Detailing. Had Gtechniq C1 and then ExoV2 applied, and its now looking beautiful. Looks like a different colour now :D

i-LwMS9FG-L.jpg

i-hhFtKkv-L.jpg

i-vQ7bk9p-L.jpg

i-FVWCBNs-L.jpg

i-L53JGBp-L.jpg

*yes i have new exhaust mounts and intend to get back under there to replace the perished ones and line it back straight.

i-ShHbVBs-L.jpg

i-gfsrMRC-L.jpg

i-JXgQSdg-L.jpg

Ah looks so good now, although discovered the side mirrors need to be resprayed, as well as the door handles, will get that done eventually as well anything else that needs to be address. Trying to make this one as mint as i can. :D

Beautiful looking car and the detailing makes all the difference.
I think with the tax disc removed it would look cleaner. Also is it just from the pictures but does the Renault Sport badge go slightly to the left?
Also what was the price for Royal to do the steering wheel? It looks beautiful.

172 Cup
Car looks stunning dude, just to let you know you have some grass or something stuck underneath it :tongueout:

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I think it was 130~ from royal , not sure about the badge though. Yeah will have to get rid of the tax holder. Thanks Gav it was a rubbish liner that got stuck under the under tray in the end.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Like the battery cover/air filter surround. Have you just had the aluminum pipe powder coated?

Im dubious about using anything other than the standard setup but that looks awesome! Is that a ktec or the fatty's setup?

Only thing thats bugging me on your car is the grille needs a respray as its faded. I did mine the other week and now looks loads better. Problem is im now going to have to do the fog, lower grille and mirror surrounds and maybe even the wiper arms!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Im dubious about using anything other than the standard setup but that looks awesome! Is that a ktec or the fatty's setup?

Only thing thats bugging me on your car is the grille needs a respray as its faded. I did mine the other week and now looks loads better. Problem is im now going to have to do the fog, lower grille and mirror surrounds and maybe even the wiper arms!

Thanks man, it's a hybrid setup with the alloy bend but a green cotton pod instead.
I have a brand new OE grille sitting here ready to get installed, as the top grille annoys me to no end as well. I did consider re spraying to satin black but this is a trophy and needs the OE feel.

Reactions: Gus
Mine came out immaculate I did remove the stickers first so I know what you mean. Capsi red is such a nice colour when its fully clean. My old 133 was the same colour and I loved it!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Thanks man, it's a hybrid setup with the alloy bend but a green cotton pod instead.
I have a brand new OE grille sitting here ready to get installed, as the top grille annoys me to no end as well. I did consider re spraying to satin black but this is a trophy and needs the OE feel.
Hi mate,
How much is a new grille ? never occurred to me that you could buy them new.
Also when you got your steering wheel done in Aylesbury did you have to buy a spare steering wheel whilst yours was being re-trimmed or did they do it while you waited.
Got to catch up one day .
Gus

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Exact same price and the last number in the part number goes from 2 to 3

£54.78+vat

Reactions: Gus

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
What a coincidence... been making arrangements to do a small batch of "prototypes" for something similar...
Let me know how you go, I have made initially enquiries to get some produced to a professional level. However not looking to make any money out of it btw. More like a group buy at cost price if there is a enough interest.

Only being picky since it's 99.99999999999999999% immaculate... when it's sunny/warm/nice again do you fancy putting a few more self tapers in the splitter to get rid of the gap that light shines through? :D

...I go off-roading daily in the quest for a parking space so mine is battered.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Only being picky since it's 99.99999999999999999% immaculate... when it's sunny/warm/nice again do you fancy putting a few more self tapers in the splitter to get rid of the gap that light shines through? :D

...I go off-roading daily in the quest for a parking space so mine is battered.

Thanks. I've actually just purchased a carbon front splitter for it , though that will go on in spring, and a few other little touches. It actually needs the front bar, bonnet and mirrors resprayed, though I may just give it a full respray down the track possibly.

Transit & Death trap
The pic of the steering wheel doesn't do it justice. I wasn't overly keen tbh, but after seeing it in the flesh yesterday, I'm totally won over.
Really nice car, with some subtle/quality mods.