ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gambit's Project Trophy

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
The pic of the steering wheel doesn't do it justice. I wasn't overly keen tbh, but after seeing it in the flesh yesterday, I'm totally won over.
Really nice car, with some subtle/quality mods.
Thanks man and thanks for the splitter, will make a great addition

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Had the chance to take the Trophy to its first show, FCS. Had a few things done to tidy it up recently which include:

Carbon Fibre front splitter

New upper front grille

Resprayed the mirror covers and door handles and rear tail gate boot surround,

new rear decals

and Replaced the rear exhaust mounts

As well as correct the front head lights and top up the Gtechnique sealant with some c2v3 Liquid crystal.
Here are some pictures from the show:

1O3C4346-L.jpg

1O3C3801-L.jpg

1O3C3983-L.jpg

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Its been a long time between drinks. But i thought i'd update you all on the project.

Well I have since moved back to Oz after my stint in the UK, unfortunately i had to sell the Trophy too. It was a very sad time, as i had an amazing time in England. :weary: Had the opportunity to get to FCS, Trax and Goodwood festival of speed, not to mention travel throughout Europe.

But fast forward a few months, i got wind the new owner needed to sell up, so decided to take a punt and buy the car back with the intention of bringing it over to Oz. Thankfully in his trust he did the cambelt service and installed a spanking new PMS catback exhaust!

The punt didn't work out initially as i was knocked back for import, however after a letter of complaint and appeal, the decision was overturned and i was granted import approval. :up::smile: yay !!

So whilst it was sitting in a mates drive @optical awaiting the whole process to play out, i had the Sachs refurbished with the help of a very kind Scotsman and BG motorsport. Not to mention collecting a few parts for the long journey across the ocean. Finally booked it on a ship and today was the day, the car was picked up and will shortly be on a ship thanks to another forum member here.

So many thanks to all the Oxfordshire crew for helping out where you could, as it would have been impossible to do whilst being abroad without everyones help. Thanks! you're all wonderful and i'm very excited to soon be reunited with #126.

Here are some random pictures that i have along its journey thus far.

i-DC2wc2L-L.jpg

Engine bay when i first brought the car ! Back in Sept 2014.

i-mwtxTnf-L.jpg

The day it left my ownership to head off to Yorkshire Sept 2015.

i-zKWSdBw-L.jpg

The day i received it back into my ownership from Yorkshire, Jan 2016.

i-tNPF5Gd-L.jpg

Sachs refurbished

i-dwJt76R-L.jpg

The lovely PMS exhaust, can't wait to hear it.

i-Rcqxtx6-L.jpg

Today it made its way onto a transporter for its long Journey to Melbourne Australia :smiley: So happy!

Clio trophy
Such a cool story and will great knowing that a trophy has made it to the other side of the world,will yours be the first in Australia?

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Thanks guys !
Yes it will be the only Trophy in the country, so should appreciate the moment it lands. But like all things this car is very sentimental and i'll be holding onto it for the indefinite future. :up:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
The car looks immaculate, a real credit to you. Makes a nice read with you being reunited as well :up:

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Long overdue update:
Had the car for a few months in Oz now and she is being well and truly pampered !
Had the windscreen replaced, refreshed the ignition system with new leads, coil pack and plugs, dropped in a new cam angle sensor. Fresh oil and filter. Next up is to polybush the undercarriage and do a refresh with powerflex bushes.
Treated her to a full correction and detail that took a few days to complete. First up the front bar came off and xenon headlights went in. Whilst the front bar was off i have the front end a good wipe down and clean, removing any debris. The front end was also thoroughly cleaned up.

i-7H3qHMp-M.jpg

Front bar cleaned up well too:

i-SckcvMS-M.jpg

Few days later started the detailing process with a wash using Dodo juice shampoo, clay bar with polishangel clay lubricant and then started documenting all the swirls and defects in the paint work, for a 11 year old car, she has her battle scars but not too shabby.

i-3B7wncG-S.jpg

i-zfx5pVp-S.jpg
i-DzNqH4V-S.jpg
i-DzNqH4V-S.jpg
i-9J4ttWd-S.jpg

Removed the side skirts and looks like no one has cleaned or removed them since day dot, as can be seen with the dirt build up

i-Lqtt4Wz-S.jpg

and after

i-QR85ZHh-S.jpg

the bonnet has seen better days to be honest

i-wCgL9Zk-S.jpg

i-9XRgdPj-S.jpg

The rear end, before:

i-r6M7DVm-S.jpg

and after:

i-HvMskVr-S.jpg

Now in terms of correction i started with scholl S20 black with a purple medium cutting pad all over, first pass was good but not good enough. So started targeting problem areas with a microfibre pad with the s20 black polish. Still was not happy so resorted to wet sanding spots that were too problematic. Started with 2000 grit paper and went down to 1500 grit, Renault clear coat is known the world over to be a hard and stubborn coat to get through. So wet sanding solved 95% of my problems. Went back over her with s20 black again and then a final fine jewel polish scholl s40 with an orange pad. Paint work is now looking mirror like and very nice. So finished off with Gtechniq Panel wipe and then for protection i opted for Gtechniq EXOv2 sealent. Layered 1 coat left and cleaned it off for curing and then will top up with Gtechniq C2v3.

Looks spanking clean now. Happy days !

i-fNgvBGT-M.jpg

From here still was not happy with the rear bumper so decided to take it to a body shop and had the rear, and front bumper as well as the the two front wings and bonnet resprayed. The match is spot on and am not over joyed with how she presents.
i-6kN6MVP-XL.jpg

Great little read this has been!

Car looks great!

I'd drop the rear plate down a little more so it's central in the recess but other than that it looks great and rather clean

I shall stay tuned for more updates :up:

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Epic mate, must really like the car to ship it accross the world with you lol, how much did that work out if you don't mind me asking? Bet it was a small fortune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Absolutely stunning car, the paintwork looks incredible now and is a real credit to you.
Have you used Gtecniq C4 on the black trim? I love this product - looks like new and lasts for over a year.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks awesome! Fair play.. was it expensive to take it to Aus?

Also, is that a LY 200T I spy?

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Thanks guys! It's a labour of love tbh and it brings a smile to me every time I drive it.

It cost me £1500 just to shop the car, then add customs and clearance cost in Australia, plus compliance cost and registration, closer to £3k~ all up.

Yes that's my other car a LY200 EDC daily, will throw up a thread on that one later [emoji6]

Must order some C4 , previously used black magic wow.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Also, is that a LY 200T I spy?
Did you spot that from the reflection in the last photo? That's impressive if you did!

Trophy looks amazing. When will the carbon splitter be going on?
Bet you nearly had a heart attack seeing all that dirt under the side trips when telex turn he rest of the cars immaculate :smile:

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Did you spot that from the reflection in the last photo? That's impressive if you did!

Trophy looks amazing. When will the carbon splitter be going on?
Bet you nearly had a heart attack seeing all that dirt under the side trips when telex turn he rest of the cars immaculate :smile:

Haha yep!

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Yep carbon splitter is already back on. Going on a driving road trip down to the Great Ocean Road this weekend so I'll get some updated photos then.