ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gammy wheel bearing

My cars developed an unhealthy taste for wheel bearings, the one thing majorly wrong with my car when i bought it (other than the sunroof) was the passenger side front wheel bearing which was completely shot, it drowned out the exhaust and stereo. I had it replaced first thing in May, yet already the exact same noise is coming back from the same wheel, its getting louder the more i drive it as well.

Could it be something to do with my car which is cacking up the bearings or would it be caused by a poor job replacing the bearing i had done in May (by a 'friends' friend who had a garage)

Also, does it HAVE to be replaced or can it just be 'altered' if you know what i mean - ive given the wheel a damn good shaking and it doesnt appear to be loose and theres no knocking - a friend suggested that in light of this it might actually have been put on too tight.

Any light on the subject?

silver valver/hybrid
probably need a new hub, had the same thing on my valver, had a knackered bearing, which in turn knackered the hub which it sits in, which it turn destroyed a brand new bearing! u can get a new one or try a second hand one from a breakers but its pot luck wether that one will be knackered or not. i got a second hand one of matt brown and mine has been sound as pound!

Renault Clio 1.6 16v
Over the past 12 months have changed all four on my 1.6 16v!
Know anything about sunroofs??

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
As has been said, it is likely the hub that needs replacing, keeping a fucked bearing in to long can damage them.

Basically it one of these you need..

The bearing is the bit in the middle, Its not really a hard job to replace one.

Well ive had a ring around today and it seems i can get a new hub for £30 and a new bearing for around £15. fitting the new bearing into the new hub requires a bearing press im told and that means a £30 garage job. Is it relatively easy to get the hub off the car?

My plan is to have the new wheel bearing fitted to the new hub all off the car. Is this the best way?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Hub seem like a good price, so does the bearing, but £30 to press a bearing in is a bit steep mate, i have had them done for a fiver, its a 6 minute job.

To get the hub off isnt hard, 2xHub to strut bolts, 1xtrackrod to hub bolt (you may need a spliter) and either split the bottom ball joint or undo the 2x balljoint arm to suspension arm bolts, like i did, easier if you just go and look at it tbh.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
I ma actually in the process of writing a detailed guide for changing bearings for the newly opened 'Guides' forum on here, should be done soon enough, hopefully.

Valver
£30 for a bearing pressed in is far too steep! Ring around some places will do it for a fiver, id say £10 tops!