ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garage currently fitting powerflex wishbones - question

172DD Cup
how far should the sleeves be pushed in before welding? all the way so the bush sits flush against the wishbone? a la
ee20d8d8.jpg

or similar to my old ones where the sleeve only sticks out a cm and a little out the back?

just concerned that if i do them flush they stick out more and won't fit back on the subframe.

I think mine were flush and fitted fine. I can't see your picture as I'm at work.

You can push them in flush and then offer them up to the car to see if they look ok. If they don't, then push them back out a little.

Remember to have them tack welded too.

172DD Cup
i can't offer them up unfortunately, i'm getting them fitted to a spare pair of wishbones, purely so they can be pressed and welded ready for me to fit. if you can pm me your mobile i'll send you the pic?

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
those are mine :cool:

the garage i got to weld them had a 1*2 subframe, so i assume they have done them right.

172DD Cup
garage said the inside of the wishbone isn't perfectly flush/flat where the wider part of the bush would sit. i'm going to take the bushes down there tomorrow and decide best course of action, maybe size them up as fred says.

cool wishbones by the way, they powdercoated?

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah powdercoated. I will be getting them fitted soon, hopefully th garage has done them right!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Need to get mine fitted too.

Once you get a size can you post it on your thread or are all subframes different?

Just taken me a few hours to do my arb bushes, then noticed they were up side down.....I'm no mechanic but thought I could remove and replace without too much trouble obviously not LOL, garage quoted me up to an hour, hour 30 tops for labour. Quoted me 30 mins to press out and re press wishbones inc weld. Add hour if he had to take the wish bones off.
Any way I did like this....bit heath robinson but needs must....

Clio Axle stds.jpg

Octavia VRS
Just taken me a few hours to do my arb bushes, then noticed they were up side down.....I'm no mechanic but thought I could remove and replace without too much trouble obviously not LOL, garage quoted me up to an hour, hour 30 tops for labour. Quoted me 30 mins to press out and re press wishbones inc weld. Add hour if he had to take the wish bones off.
Any way I did like this....bit heath robinson but needs must....

View attachment 58836

Nice setup bro! was that fairly sturdy or was the whole thing in danger of toppling over in the wind?!

cheers for the advice on time it ghould take!

should i do Lower Wishbone AND ARB bushes?

RS RIP
A mate of mine has mounted my wishbone bushes, he said the sleeves were almost impossible to weld because of how thin the sleeves were. Do Powerflex always send the same quality sleeves i wonder ?

now since a couple of days there's a nasty cracking noise from the wishbone area.. I just checked one side and it seems fine/in place, but the sleeve-welds looked like s**t indeed and one of the sleeves seemed "tilted" a bit

172DD Cup
the sleeves will all be the same. when i had mine done i had 6 tiny welds done on each sleeve, some people get 3 substantial welds.

ITB'd MK1
A mate of mine has mounted my wishbone bushes, he said the sleeves were almost impossible to weld because of how thin the sleeves were. Do Powerflex always send the same quality sleeves i wonder ?

now since a couple of days there's a nasty cracking noise from the wishbone area.. I just checked one side and it seems fine/in place, but the sleeve-welds looked like s**t indeed and one of the sleeves seemed "tilted" a bit

your friend can't weld for s**t. if he's blowing through these he shouldn't touch a welder

clio sport 172
now since a couple of days there's a nasty cracking noise from the wishbone area.. I just checked one side and it seems fine/in place, but the sleeve-welds looked like s**t indeed and one of the sleeves seemed "tilted" a bit[/QUOTE]

i have them for about 10.000 km (used on track-road) and i also sometimes hear this ''cracking'' noise only when easily starting in first gear, but it seems all fine.
i welded them completely (upper-lower side of the sleeve) in the wishbone.

RS RIP
Had the car up on the bridge and it touches the subframe but all is well in place so not too worried.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
does anyone know the OD of the powerflex bushes for the clio? or can someone measure one for me?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
no the sleave... i think

basically i need to know if the clio bushes fit into megane mk1 wishbones. theyre the same design but ive read there are a few diffrent sizes.
theres no specific mk1 powerflex bushes to buy