ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garageing the clio and useing run about

Well time has come to garage the clio as cant afford to insure it, got to use my old car as a run about old beasty 1l 106 ski

anyone else garage the cars in the winter?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
How much is your insurance? I cant think of any good reason why i would garage my 182 unless it was becoming a track toy/weekend car.

immaculate clio 172
why would anyone garage a clio 172/182 etc its not exactly a classic that were trying to preserve from the wet weather etc maybe if its a cosworth or a series 1 rs or something but surely the clio would be the car to use while the animal is away for the winter lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i garage mine over winter have done for the last 2 years its nothing to do with not being able to afford it personally its about keeping it imaculate and saving money when i cant really enjoy it in winter, cant drive it hard so i pootle about at 65mpg in the dci lol mine rarely see's the rain

1. keeps the miles down
2. not a bit of rust underneath my 172

Liquid yellow R26 F1
i garage mine over winter have done for the last 2 years its nothing to do with not being able to afford it personally its about keeping it imaculate and saving money when i cant really enjoy it in winter, cant drive it hard so i pootle about at 65mpg in the dci lol mine rarely see's the rain

1. keeps the miles down

i think that's when i used to enjoy my the cup the most.. in the winter.. :)

when it's cold it makes it quicker..
when it's wet it slides easier.. :)

1. keeps the miles down

LOL! It's still going to be worth next to f**k all. Doesn't matter if it's seen any rain or not..

If you can't afford the insurance, which doesn't surprise me as you're only a young'un, why did you buy it?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
LOL! It's still going to be worth next to f**k all. Doesn't matter if it's seen any rain or not..

i dont care what its worth, i paid £7200 for it and have just sold it for £4500, if i had used it all though the winter it wouldnt have affected the price, apart from the extra millage its always going to depreciate the way renaultsport bring out models. im into my cars i like to have a car to drive "properly" in the summer, personally i dont see the point in wearing out tyres, brakes, paying more for insurance, fuel, servicing in the winter when the conditions dont allow me to do anything my dci cant. which is why i saved all winter with a car costing me next to nothing so i could buy my evo in cash instead of a bank loan like i done with the 172

If you can't afford the insurance, which doesn't surprise me as you're only a young'un, why did you buy it?

cant afford the insurance lol? i bought the car 3 years ago when i was 18, insured it properly and legit for the last 3 years. built up my nice shiney no claims which is why i sold it to buy something fast.

Rb 182
I used to garage my Mk1 turbo at the winter, that was after i stacked it one year. Also it broke all the time too.

I can relate to what your saying, its nice to have a minter tucked away.
I use the phase 1 every day but I garage the mini, the mini is actually worth more than the clio anyways but the reason why I garage it is because they rust, i like to keep it mint and can't be arsed to clean it all the time. It only comes out on a dry day and once its detailed it stays that way. Both cars are taxed/ mot'd/ insured.
The only Clio I would garage as a toy would be a Williams or a V6.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I can relate to what your saying, its nice to have a minter tucked away.
I use the phase 1 every day but I garage the mini, the mini is actually worth more than the clio anyways but the reason why I garage it is because they rust, i like to keep it mint and can't be arsed to clean it all the time. It only comes out on a dry day and once its detailed it stays that way. Both cars are taxed/ mot'd/ insured.
The only Clio I would garage as a toy would be a Williams or a V6.

well you know how i feel dont you like that feeling of having a complete minter of a car plus makes it a hell of a lot easier when it comes to working underneath as everything comes off easy peasy!!!

like you say about garaging a williams, same goes for all the other mint classic hatches 205gti, 5 turbo etc if someone wants a mint example they will pay what they need, its all ok at the moment saying a 172 wont be worth any more garaged or not but what about in 20 years time, ok its not going to make it worth a million quid but its going to make it hold its cash, not that ill have it by then, its sold already! but i know the guy whos getting it is going to be keeping it the same way i did and hes going to end up or who ever ends up with it with a complete minter in a few years time!

my evo will be kept the exact same!

i dont care what its worth, i paid £7200 for it and have just sold it for £4500, if i had used it all though the winter it wouldnt have affected the price, apart from the extra millage its always going to depreciate the way renaultsport bring out models. im into my cars i like to have a car to drive "properly" in the summer, personally i dont see the point in wearing out tyres, brakes, paying more for insurance, fuel, servicing in the winter when the conditions dont allow me to do anything my dci cant. which is why i saved all winter with a car costing me next to nothing so i could buy my evo in cash instead of a bank loan like i done with the 172

cant afford the insurance lol? i bought the car 3 years ago when i was 18, insured it properly and legit for the last 3 years. built up my nice shiney no claims which is why i sold it to buy something fast.

The car will be quicker in winter anyway. You can still drive it "properly" in the winter. If you can't do anything in a 172 that you can't in a DCI then I suggest some driving lessons TBH.

I just couldn't drive something slow for the sake of keeping my main car clean. Just seems pointless. For a Ferrari, maybe. But then I'd still want to be driving it. Certainly not with a Renault shopping trolley.

Oh and the insureance thing, I didn't mean you, I meant the OP.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The car will be quicker in winter anyway. You can still drive it "properly" in the winter. If you can't do anything in a 172 that you can't in a DCI then I suggest some driving lessons TBH.

I just couldn't drive something slow for the sake of keeping my main car clean. Just seems pointless.

there is very little days in the winter up here where it is dry and not greezy surfaces where you can get the full potential out of a 172, although granted there is some. all my mates have winter cars so ive got no one to go out a blast with so it doesnt get any proper use so i dont see the point in running it while i can save some cash to spend on it over winter and have a nice new set of mods for summer.

the dci hardly something slow to cut about in the winter its only 40bhp down on a 172 and has 30lb/ft more lol handles like a 172 and is more refined than a 172, imo in scottish winters theres nothing the 172 can do that the dci cant, the dci still reaches 125mph in no time by which time it runs out of revs as its well into the redline, im not going to be doing much more than 125mph in the winter!

i can see where your coming from, but the money i save over winter is unreal, plus i do about 30k a year which im not putting on the 172 but by having a winter car it allows me to take the 172 to work every day over the summer and still keep the miles down as it only gets used about 6 months max