ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GAS FLOWED THROTTLE BODIES?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Yeah they used small flatt screws :O

Sounds like an internet sales pitch reading the item decription.....regardless of what they have done to the butterfly valve.

I cant see having something "smoothed" will increase airflow by amount that will create an increase. But this is only based upon opinion :| Glad to see other views. Thanks

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
I cant see having something "smoothed" will increase airflow by amount that will create an increase. But this is only based upon opinion :| Glad to see other views. Thanks

GDI/AWT/etc have made quite a lot of money smoothing inlet manifolds, so it would seem you can get increases in there at least

This question seems to pop up every now and again but no-one listens to the experts lol

what do they say? I've no idea if this would work or not tbh, but it looks nice. I'll go out on a limb and guess that it probably does nothing. Basing this on the fact it's on ebay, the home of the electric supercharger lol

According to certain tuning companies, the throttle body it self is not a point of restriction and therefore this kind of work does feck all

This question seems to pop up every now and again but no-one listens to the experts lol

what do they say? I've no idea if this would work or not tbh, but it looks nice. I'll go out on a limb and guess that it probably does nothing. Basing this on the fact it's on ebay, the home of the electric supercharger lol

Too right, I remember talking to Ben about it but as I know you don't trust him, what does Andy say about them?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Might get me some sand paper and some gas from B+Q and make my own :| or NOT.

Honestly though, why doesnt someone buy it, put it on and let me know :D

ITB'd MK1

Too right, I remember talking to Ben about it but as I know you don't trust him, what does Andy say about them?

We dont use the FBW body for any significant modification as you need cable throttle for omex.

My personal feeling is you wont notice an improvement from what's been done to that body but you wont lose anything, so if it's cheap, why not

Ph1

GDI/AWT/etc have made quite a lot of money smoothing inlet manifolds, so it would seem you can get increases in there at least

Slight difference.
This TB has been 'polished' up, the popular inlet mod by tuners is 'porting' the inlet (made bigger) plus proven gains to be had too due to factory differences in castings

Lionel Richie
i've got an enlarged one from yozzasport (prototype) as soon as my car's back from the bodyshop i'm going to take it upto paul at RS tuning and do a power run with OE TB and the YS enlarged one, see what happens

ValverInBits
i've got an enlarged one from yozzasport (prototype) as soon as my car's back from the bodyshop i'm going to take it upto paul at RS tuning and do a power run with OE TB and the YS enlarged one, see what happens

does the yozza enlarged one require Ph1 cables or can it be done FBW?

Hehe, slight understatement! I dont know to be fair if Ben came out and catagorically said it wont make any difference, period, but when my Williams was with him I was told headwork wont do anything on that so not to bother. Other motorsport people will (and did) disagree, Steve at Port Formance being one of them (In fact there was a huge arguement between Steve, Ben and Stan on Williams Clio some time back about headwork).

I cant really remember what Andy's opinion on it was at the time, I know he just decided to get one from Jenvey and test it out after all the pages of discussion. On a standard engine I dont know if it yields any gains (there wasn't one to test on), significant or otherwise, but Andy did testing on his 182 demo car and it made a pretty big difference. His car was/is considerably quicker than my car on ITB's, but similarly another car from another tuner (I wont mention who, but not AWT for the record!) had the same mods pretty much, but standard throttle body and mine was considerably quicker than that one. In theory you can argue the case for or against, but on a car with pistons, headwork and cams the difference is certainly more than just noticable. May not be the case on a standard engine, I dont really know.

Ph1
The use of bigger single TB's has been used with good success on a number of different cars over the years but for some reason this area has never seem'd to have been a port of call on the 172 / 182's by the Clio tuners. Not really sure why?

Spoke to one lad a few years back who had a single Jenvy on his Clio and he said it made bugger all difference.

It dosent seem to hinder the Clio Cup racers either. They use or used standard bore TB's from the road cars im sure?

Saying that, it would be good to see what results Fred gets and put the ifs and buts on this subject to bed on this once and for all :)

The use of bigger single TB's has been used with good success on a number of different cars over the years but for some reason this area has never seem'd to have been a port of call on the 172 / 182's by the Clio tuners. Not really sure why?

Spoke to one lad a few years back who had a single Jenvy on his Clio and he said it made bugger all difference.

It dosent seem to hinder the Clio Cup racers either. They use or used standard bore TB's from the road cars im sure?

Saying that, it would be good to see what results Fred gets and put the ifs and buts on this subject to bed on this once and for all :)

Sadly if certain people make a comment, which is basically their opinion, it's then misconstrued as pure fact in some instances and then sticks. Way of the world unfortunately, that's why (imo) it would be better sometimes if people just said "I dont know" instead of theorising, as this is where confusion starts. I'm speaking in broad general terms here, not to anything specific.

I'd imagine the Cup Racers have no choice but to use a set throttle body too. They seem pretty resricted to what they can run as it has to be as close to a road car engine as they can get away with usually.

2005 Nissan Navara
Couldnt agree more, without any of us testing, its pure speculation.

I know on a williams it doesnt do s**t (im talking fettling a std body, not fitting an enlarged item) as ive tested them back to back.

As for a larger throttle, your only going to gain peak bhp if a smaller (i.e. std) its restricting peak airflow--this is why Andy would have seen a gain on his modified engine, compared to no gain on a std one with a larger throttle.

M

mini-valver

This is a common mod on the VTS and GTi's but thats because the TB is a weird shape and intrudes into the cylinder of the butterfly. The Clio body isnt restriced by any casting so the size of the butterfly is pretty much fluent throughout the length of it.

I'll get a pic of the VTS body to show what I mean....

M

mini-valver

On the left is how the throttle body is standard, the grey area is casting that protrudes in front of the butterfly. On the right, is a ported one, where the casting is removed...
TBBBB.jpg
http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s115/spencer_cammedvts/?action=view&current=TBBBB.jpg