ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gates 5507XS (128 x 27mm) Cambelt?

Picked up a new cambelt a few days ago with the above product code printed on it, checked it against the belt I took off where you can just about see the printing and its the same (which did fit fine). 172 Ph1 Engine btw.

Every other cambelt ive EVER fitted has gone on fine, can just about get the belt on first go every time. Came to do it on my engine with the new belt and it seems its too short - I usually put it round everything then put the exhaust pulley on last, but thats a complete no-go as the end of the cam is nowhere near the pulley hole.

Ive tried every method I can think of as to why this belt will not go on, and it is just completely different to any ive fitted in the past, even one last week which took seconds to put over everything. With how tight it is, I cant imagine the tensioner will even move to allow correct setting, it really is that tight. Tensioner is fully de-tensioned too.

Holding it together with my old belt it seems its exactly the same, the old one being a tad longer but I guess thats down to it stretching over time...

Anyone had similar problems with a belt being too short?

Yeah, thats how I usually do it...the old one takes a bit of a pull but always slots onto the cam 100% fine.

This 'new' belt is so tight its around 10mm away from pulling onto the thread of the exhaust cam, and there is no more slack to pull on. The belt is only half on the tensioner/idlers/dephaser to give a bit more play too, but it still seems like its not going to fit.

Il give it another go in a minute

ITB'd MK1
got the bottom sprocket freely spinning? make sure the tensioner is in the fully slack position too, even when loose if it's pointing the wrong way it's hard to pull against

Yeah, only got the sprocket on and freely spinning, accessories pulley is off.

Tensioner is pointing to the left which is how the other belt goes on fine, and im assuming is the fully slack position - I did try it in a few different positions but it didnt make any difference to how close the exhaust pulley came to going on

Well, still couldnt get it on no matter what was tried. Compared it to another brand new belt (same codes/markings) length wise and my one was indeed somewhat shorter (15-20mm) which would explain it not fitting.

Only thing I can think of is it was a bad batch or printed up incorrectly?! Going back to get a replacement tomorrow.