ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gdi 182 flames remap

172 ff silver
cams and bodies :cool: will spit flames but omex to get best out of it

no damage what so ever as it only spits on overrun

this is due to valve overlap iirc

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
does no damage to your engine..

you cant have it with a cat (easily) and you need aftermarket managment

laguna coupe
how much would it cost does it knaker your baffels in exhaust
could you do me a list ive got a yozzasport exhaust gonna get a decat what else do i need can you supply a plug and go remap or do i need a live map

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
When my car was first set up on the omex with the cars it spit sh*tloads of flames and popped&banged all over the shop. Was really impressive but i had to get it reduced as it was a "bit" extreme.
Im starting to really miss it lol

had mine removed at the weekend and a new ignition map. much quieter on the motorway when backing off... not sure I like it now though, I think I'm missing the flames and bangs already lol

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
ok Jon, will put them back when i see you...

you need

Aftermarket ECU
Cable throttle body
Mechanical Throttle pedal
Cable
Mapping

M

mini-valver

Why do you need cable throttle? Does the OMEX not run with the FBW pedal set-up?

M

mini-valver

Insurance for the car or the OMEX itself? I know FBW is'nt as responsive but I was thinking purely cost wise.....

Wacky cam and dry sump ;)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
the systems, as its not mechanical the ecu manufactures have to insure for electronics failure.... iirc only motecs TOP system has this insurance and even then i think its not for road use...

minor cost of mech throttle body, £50 for 2nd hand megane or mk1 172 body...

cable £16

pedal £50 for propper RS pedal or £15 for normal clio pedal

M

mini-valver

It's what it's mounting to that would cost me......RS owners could do it cheap though as you say!

So basically OMEX is covering it's arse if the FBW system has a spaz?

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
they all are.... all ecu manufactures have product indemnity.... the insurance companies wont insure that side of it...

in the USA a few people are suing US ECU companies for things like this.... so the insurers are scared...

on the 1600, there are loads of mech throttle bodies that would be usable...

M

mini-valver

Yeah, I see what you mean.
I'm just gathering idea's TBH, depends what it's like when it comes back. Power and respense wise.....
What TB's are the same/similar size?

laguna coupe
andy write black and white how much for all parts needed and setup apart from decat cost
please cause i need something to warm me up in these cold morning ha ha

Various
I would like to add some facts about the drive by wire (dbw) systems in addition to what Andy at GDI has correctly said. There is a bit of a misconception generally about why DBW exists. In a production car there are two reasons, the first being emissions. It is much easier to control exhaust emissions when you have the throttle plate under ECU control as you can not only control fuel quantity and timing but also the admission of air into the engine. When the throttle is snapped open on a cable throttle the ECU needs to add a 'slug' of fuel to compensate for the sudden increase in air. This is known as acceleration fuelling. Becuase for Euro IV standards the amount of acceleration fuel is very limited, it is necesary to slow the opening of the throttle plate. This causes the poor throttle response that we all hate. Because MOT tests only measure steady state emissions we don't have that problem. The second reason is cost. It is considerably cheaper to do away with the cable, idle motor et al when a new car is being built.

Now you may ask why some top racing series then use DBW throttles? Well, they are optimised for performance with very fast throttle opening times. But acceleration fueling is then required! Again to have total control over airflow is useful especially with turbo anti-lag systems. But in the real world the advantages are almost non existant.

At Omex we have the facility to operate DBW systems but the software is currently disabled due to safety and product liability reasons. The amount of testing required is phenominal and commercially makes no sense as the demand is very low. Also we are fully insured for product liability, a process that is far more complicated than you may realise. We have to provide failure mode analysis information that allows the insurers to decide if they will cover us and to evalulate the premium. Believe me, the cost of insuring your 172/182 is not a drop in the ocean compared to our premium. At the moment we cannot provide our insurers with enough information to allow them to calculate the risk and hence a premium.

I find the comment that we are 'covering our arse' rather insulting. By being properly insured we are showing a responsible attitude to our liabilities. For example, if we were not properly insured and any of our customers had to make a serious claim against us (say £1M plus for a death) we would be bankrupted and no money would be paid out, leaving the car driver to pay the bill which would in turn bankrupt them. So our insurance covers the customer for their liabilities. In addition to obtain full liability cover we have to undergo rigorous testing to allow us to 'e' mark our units, a legal requirement that many of our competitors do not undertake. Without this the ECU is not legal to use on the road. Interestingly we have just had the first instance of this being required, with a customer having a nasty accident and the investigating officer has contacted us for copies of our certification.

So I hope that helps.

clio 200 F4Rt
I would like to add some facts about the drive by wire (dbw) systems in addition to what Andy at GDI has correctly said. There is a bit of a misconception generally about why DBW exists. In a production car there are two reasons, the first being emissions. It is much easier to control exhaust emissions when you have the throttle plate under ECU control as you can not only control fuel quantity and timing but also the admission of air into the engine. When the throttle is snapped open on a cable throttle the ECU needs to add a 'slug' of fuel to compensate for the sudden increase in air. This is known as acceleration fuelling. Becuase for Euro IV standards the amount of acceleration fuel is very limited, it is necesary to slow the opening of the throttle plate. This causes the poor throttle response that we all hate. Because MOT tests only measure steady state emissions we don't have that problem. The second reason is cost. It is considerably cheaper to do away with the cable, idle motor et al when a new car is being built.

Now you may ask why some top racing series then use DBW throttles? Well, they are optimised for performance with very fast throttle opening times. But acceleration fueling is then required! Again to have total control over airflow is useful especially with turbo anti-lag systems. But in the real world the advantages are almost non existant.

At Omex we have the facility to operate DBW systems but the software is currently disabled due to safety and product liability reasons. The amount of testing required is phenominal and commercially makes no sense as the demand is very low. Also we are fully insured for product liability, a process that is far more complicated than you may realise. We have to provide failure mode analysis information that allows the insurers to decide if they will cover us and to evalulate the premium. Believe me, the cost of insuring your 172/182 is not a drop in the ocean compared to our premium. At the moment we cannot provide our insurers with enough information to allow them to calculate the risk and hence a premium.

I find the comment that we are 'covering our arse' rather insulting. By being properly insured we are showing a responsible attitude to our liabilities. For example, if we were not properly insured and any of our customers had to make a serious claim against us (say £1M plus for a death) we would be bankrupted and no money would be paid out, leaving the car driver to pay the bill which would in turn bankrupt them. So our insurance covers the customer for their liabilities. In addition to obtain full liability cover we have to undergo rigorous testing to allow us to 'e' mark our units, a legal requirement that many of our competitors do not undertake. Without this the ECU is not legal to use on the road. Interestingly we have just had the first instance of this being required, with a customer having a nasty accident and the investigating officer has contacted us for copies of our certification.

So I hope that helps.

Best post ever! alot of good info there!

cheers

efi euro 4 supports drive by wire. OMEX isnt the be all and end all when it comes to ECUs. You do get what you pay for though.

http://www.obr.uk.com/ECUs/Euro4-prs3-log.pdf
EFI Euro4 spec
40 MHz PPC microprocessor
4 cylinders in full sequential mode
6 and 8 cylinders in sequential injection and wasted spark mode
On-board data logging
Automatic fuel control
Closed loop lambda control
Automatic boost control
Variable camshaft timing
Idle speed control
Drive-by-Wire control
2 selectable engine maps

Flames on overrun is just a mapping trick. r****d the ignition and fuel it when off the throttle. Pointless and some would say poor mapping due to the extra fuel required and the lack of smoothness that results. Also say goodbye to your cat if you have one fitted.

Interesting find Mark, but the Omex does support it, just the feature is turned off just in case some have a go hero decides to piss with it, or power washes the engine bay and the ECU then cuts out at 4k rpm on the motorway due to it ;) Looking at the list the Omex does a lot if not all of those listed. For the price they are arguably the best, hence the popularity.

You can have flames, pops and bangs and still have it drive and run perfectly smoothly, I think your own level of mapping expertise is making you somewhat naive and ignorant in your old age... anyway, wouldn't be too anti Omex... or have they sent you a new ECU so you can safely nit pick away from the safety of your keyboard? ;)

Interesting find Mark, but the Omex does support it, just the feature is turned off just in case some have a go hero decides to piss with it, or power washes the engine bay and the ECU then cuts out at 4k rpm on the motorway due to it ;) Looking at the list the Omex does a lot if not all of those listed. For the price they are arguably the best, hence the popularity.

You can have flames, pops and bangs and still have it drive and run perfectly smoothly, I think your own level of mapping expertise is making you somewhat naive and ignorant in your old age... anyway, wouldn't be too anti Omex... or have they sent you a new ECU so you can safely nit pick away from the safety of your keyboard? ;)

Just made some fairly valid statements as fair as I can tell. I dont think I was slagging OMEX off just pointing out there are better ECUs out there if you are prepared to pay the price.

There is to much back slapping and bullshit going on in these threads. If someone wants to challenge/correct what I have posted then carry on.

You obviously dont know anything about it so why have you posted?

Lionel Richie
Motec for example, they can do FBW no bother, but at around £4K installed you'd expect it to wipe your arse too

Motec for example, they can do FBW no bother, but at around £4K installed you'd expect it to wipe your arse too

Exactly!

It seems my post has been misconstrued. You pay your money and take your choice.

I dont think the guys at OMEX would argue there £600 ECU is competing against EFI's and Motec's.

Lionel Richie
its a bit like renault Vs Ferrari, they both have 4 wheels and run on petrol and do the same thing but with a difference (sort of)

CS Dungeon

Exactly!

It seems my post has been misconstrued. You pay your money and take your choice.

I dont think the guys at OMEX would argue there £600 ECU is competing against EFI's and Motec's.

How can one unit be so superior to another? I understand sweet fa about ECU's.

Is it not all down to the mapper at the end of the day? Is that why you are paying the £4k premium? over £600?

Just made some fairly valid statements as fair as I can tell. I dont think I was slagging OMEX off just pointing out there are better ECUs out there if you are prepared to pay the price.

There is to much back slapping and bulls**t going on in these threads. If someone wants to challenge/correct what I have posted then carry on.

You obviously dont know anything about it so why have you posted?

Mark, you have just posted verbatim what the other ECU does and I've said the Omex does most if not all of that and you said the Omex was cheaper, not me... so to me that seems like pretty good value. Not really back slapping when it's fairly common knowledge from people in the know that it's a very capable ECU and good vfm. The Omex 710 does all of what's on that list and more and is £850ish... fair bit cheaper than £1200, conveniently forgotten perhaps? ;)

You obviously dont know much about mapping yourself son, you judge people based on what limited information you have and then misrepresent opinion as fact. I dont know how to map a car, I could work it out and do it myself given the will and motivation to do so... I do however know for a pure fact that you can have a car that pops and bangs and drives smoother than a factory standard car, but that's based on experience, not google searches.

There is too much back stabbing and bullshit on here comments on here more like, so it's lucky for you Omex didn't see some of your previous comments on here, as I dont think they would have done you any favours if they knew who you were. imo

You may have more experience messing with map3000, that doesn't make you any more qualified to talk about this than me. I have practical working knowledge based on having my car tweaked many times (because I'm a fussy t**t) so I've seen what works and what doesn't. I may open map3000 on my laptop and have a look, because then I'd also be an expert ;)

Exactly!

Is it not all down to the mapper at the end of the day? Is that why you are paying the £4k premium? over £600?

It does more faster.

EFI Euro4 spec
*4 cylinders in full sequential mode
*6 and 8 cylinders in sequential injection and wasted spark mode
*On-board data logging
*Automatic fuel control
*Closed loop lambda control (OMEX can but you cant attach wideband direct)
*Automatic boost control
Variable camshaft timing
Idle speed control
*Drive-by-Wire control
*2 selectable engine maps

OMEX cant do all the things with a star by it.

Exactly!

There not, they just cost a lot more. I'd imagine them to be better, but not over 400% better. Most of that is probably to recover license fees for the software anyway.

Lionel Richie
Exactly!

no thats £4K installed for a motec, thats without the mapping LOL!

but as you say you could have the best ecu on the planet, but a mong mapping it, or you could have the cheapest ecu there is an a genious mapping it

why is motec so expensive? i guess because of their R&D and their features and toys that come with it

CS Dungeon

It does more faster.

EFI Euro4 spec
*On-board data logging
*Automatic fuel control
*Automatic boost control
Variable camshaft timing
Idle speed control
*Drive-by-Wire control

But what do they all do? Means nothing to me:S

Wasn't the DBW issue discussed a couple of page's back and the conclusion was that it could run DBW, however this was disabled for insurance reasons.

CS Dungeon
fancy s**t is the answer LOL

Its probably best left at that tbh....................wooshhhhhhhhhhhh lol
normal-joint.gif

It does more faster.

EFI Euro4 spec
*On-board data logging
*Automatic fuel control
*Automatic boost control
Variable camshaft timing
Idle speed control
*Drive-by-Wire control

But what do they all do? Means nothing to me:S

Wasn't the DBW issue discussed a couple of page's back and the conclusion was that it could run DBW, however this was disabled for insurance reasons.

Its a list of what the ECU 'can' do. If the DBW is disabled then it cant do it.

Most of the above is self explanatory what specifically do you want to know about?

NOTE: Sativas are better then indicas. Give you a better high, the indicas are too mongy.

M

mini-valver

Wo Wo Wo Revman! I was'nt being arsey with the comment I made re. your reasons for cancelling out the FBW software....