ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear Change on New 172

Just bought a 172 two weeks ago, now got 600 miles so starting to cane it, handling, brakes and Power are good, reminds me of the Willy I had 9 years ago....

One thing bothers me, however, when I change from second to third gear at high revs, you really have to shuv it in which doesnt seem normal, also when shifting from 5 to 4 very tough to take it out.

Has anyone experinced this ? is it because its New ?

Cheers, from the Swiss mountain roads

Renault Laguna Coupe

Hi and welcome.

2nd to 3rd is a bit more difficult than the other changes. It does get better over time though. 5 to 4 should be ok though.

Where are you in CH? I spend several weeks every winter in Wengen (BE).

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I havent had that problem with my 172, its got just over 12000 miles on the clock now.

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine was the same when it was new. For the first couple of k I was crunching it into third occasionally. Im up to around 3.5k miles now and its starting to feel much better.

Ive noticed the same thing myself. If Im lazy and dont properly push it into 3rd I often crunch em.

VW Potato

mine was very stiff into second, esp when cold. As i live at the top of a hill, i change from 1st to third and use the descent to help build up speed easily. Plus, my first engagement into fifth when cold is very notchy until the oils warmed up.

g

I thought it may have just been something about the renault gearbox, but asked at the renault dealership when i took it in to be serviced. they said that they also noticed that it didnt feel right and that they needed to get the box out and have a look. they said to drop it back in to be checked. same afternoon i got the car smashed by a drunkdriver - so waiting 4 weeks to get it back, and then dropping it into the service place to have the gearbox looked at. should take another few days! will let you know.

@Seems again, that tolerances are not very tight at Renaults... Shouldnt be, though. Take yur care back to the dealership; warranty will take care of it anyway.
Where in CH do you live? I live in the Zurich area...

Sandro

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

mine did that from new, was told there was no prob and then the clutch was replaced at 20,000 dohhhh!

My cup had a similar problem from new which turned out to be rusty and un loved linkage, some cleaning and grease later and its now as good as my mark 1. Renault should do it for free under warranty

Brought the car to a Small Renault workshop in the country side near Lausanne end last week, reccomended by the local Clio Club, very impressive.

They sorted out the Gearbox, which now runs perfectly.

I also asked about the problem, that sometimes the car doesnt start first time arround and, apparently you can have the ECU remapped which takes the problem away.

The workshop also reccomended to change the mid section of the exhaust as this is a real piece of S...

I live in Geneva CH

Quote: Originally posted by Swiss172 on 10 June 2003

The workshop also reccomended to change the mid section of the exhaust as this is a real piece of S...
Dont we know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dam expensive piece of sh*t it is to :cry:

Ive done 6.5k miles now and mine still crunches going into 5th. Reno say cant find anything wrong and if it is still there at 12,000 (1st service) they will change the gearbox oil to see it that sorts it out. At least they agree it does it though !