ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gear knob change on clio 3 1.2 non sport?

cas

clio 3 1.2 nonsport
hi all, brand new here, (and a practically brand new driver)...

been searching around all over to try to figure out how to change the gear knob on my 3 (nonsport). got the car a bit beat up and needs some tlc, took care of a few things so far but stuck on this :(

any advice would be great, thanks!

cas

clio 3 1.2 nonsport
Why do you need to change it? Is the leather part damaged or just the plastic cap on the top?
owner before smoked while driving?. ash stains all over the gaiter boot, just thought I'd like to buy a new one and get a new knob as it would freshen it up a bit more inside.

from what I've found online the stick has a plastic endpiece on and not a thread fitting so I'm not sure if it's hopeless??

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Put it in 4th, sit on the back seats and pull as hard as you can. it's just a really tight interference fit over a plastic sleeve.

cas

clio 3 1.2 nonsport
Put it in 4th, sit on the back seats and pull as hard as you can. it's just a really tight interference fit over a plastic sleeve.
haven't tried to take it off yet doesn't sound easy? I'm confused as somewhere I found someone that managed it had a white plastic piece on the fitting instead of a threaded end?

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Yeh it's not threaded. The end of the selector is rough like a file, then there is a white plastic piece clamped onto that. Then the knob just presses onto the plastic bit. you don't need to twist, just pull. A bit of a wiggle might help free it though.

Reactions: cas

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Aftermarket threaded won't fit, you need on with grub screws that clamp onto the selector. I cut the plastic bit off with a hack saw blade.

Reactions: cas