ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear Knob Ideas?

2001 Clio 1.2
I own a Mk2, Phase 1, 1.2 Clio and am looking to do something to my old, worn out gear knob to make it look a bit smarter, the knob itself is heavily glued into place like a most Clio's my model, so a replacement is not possible without putting a hacksaw to it which i'm not prepared to do myself, unless anyone has a fool proof guide or experience in doing it to theirs. Otherwise i'm looking for any idea's or suggestions which people may have done to theirs for a smarter/cooler look to the boring original gear knob. :cool:

Clio 1.2+ Laguna 2.0
i resprayed the gear insert in mine? although if the rubber of the gear knob is perished then maybe a replacement is due?

2001 Clio 1.2
i resprayed the gear insert in mine? although if the rubber of the gear knob is perished then maybe a replacement is due?

How did you manage to spray that, does your come out, cause on mine the center part with all the gear locations is fixed onto the gear knob itself? or did you respray it in the car?

And nice, whats underneath it once its sawed off can you just simply slot a new gear knob on or how does that work?

Clio RS 182
I also have a richbrook replacement which cost around £25 look spot on. Took me 20 mins with a hacksaw and a stanley knife. I cut the leather and rubber exterior off with the stanley knife so i could see what i was doing then used a hacksaw to cut down one side of the plastic part which is left. You can feel when you hit metal so you know at which point to stop. cutting. Once thats done it will just twist off

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I also have a richbrook replacement which cost around £25 look spot on. Took me 20 mins with a hacksaw and a stanley knife. I cut the leather and rubber exterior off with the stanley knife so i could see what i was doing then used a hacksaw to cut down one side of the plastic part which is left. You can feel when you hit metal so you know at which point to stop. cutting. Once thats done it will just twist off

Spot on is a messy job but well worth it and the richbrook fits like a glove.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
1271171422028.jpg

Jap Box
The gear insert plastic bit isn't clipped or glued in.
You can just prise it out from one side and it'll just come out. real easy.

It isn't, hmm i'll give it another look in a bit cheers.

He is talking about a PH2 clio, they have a plastic insert in the top, the PH1 models are a glued on stick.

I need to hack mind off but dont want to get it all off them realise the new stick will not fit on, meaning it will be a pain to change gear for a bit!

Re: Worn / Tatty Gear Knob Ideas?

Have a look on ebay. You can buy a renault gear knob renovation kit for under a fiver! I didnt need to take the knob off at all and just replaced the covering. Looks great!!