ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear knob similar to a ph1?

2003 Clio 172
I really like the look of the ph1 gear knob over the one in my ph2 172, however I don't really want the hassle of swapping over the entire gear stick just to get one. Are there any aftermarket gearknobs available that look the same/similar to the ph1 alloy one? Had a look on ebay with no success...

2003 Clio 172
I fitted a ph1 in my 182 and loved it, I put a richbrook as above in my 172 and it was just as nice. Although fitting the ph1 gearstick in its entirety was easier than removing the old gearknob on my 172. Lol

How did the richbrook one attach to your 172 gear stick? I'm assuming there's no thread on the stick once the old one is removed. Thanks.

2003 Clio 172
Ordered the Richbrook silver ball gear knob from Demon Tweeks Direct on eBay. Does look very similar to the ph1 one, just a bit shinier perhaps. Either way should be an improvement over the standard ph2 gearknob.

2014 Clio 200t edc
How did the richbrook one attach to your 172 gear stick? I'm assuming there's no thread on the stick once the old one is removed. Thanks.
If I remember correctly there is a grub screw that you tighten. Its such a nice gearknob to use though and massively better than the horrid original one. Just be careful removing the old one. I cut my thumb really badly doing it. Like a man I carried on though (and cried later!)

2003 Clio 172
If I remember correctly there is a grub screw that you tighten. Its such a nice gearknob to use though and massively better than the horrid original one. Just be careful removing the old one. I cut my thumb really badly doing it. Like a man I carried on though (and cried later!)

Going to be careful removing the original one. Am hoping a hairdryer and a lot of patience should enable me to get it off without issue, however things are rarely straight forward with my Clio lol...

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think you will get it off in one piece. They are a very tight interference fit and the shaft is knurled too. Hacksaw down the middle until you hit the metal shaft and split it with a chisel or big screwdriver.

2003 Clio 172
I don't think you will get it off in one piece. They are a very tight interference fit and the shaft is knurled too. Hacksaw down the middle until you hit the metal shaft and split it with a chisel or big screwdriver.

Good advice, thanks.

Will report back once I've removed and fitted new one.

2003 Clio 172
Got the Richbrook one fitted. Was a pain in the a** getting the old one off. Used hacksaw and screwdriver and just broke it off in bits. End result is worth it though ? Only minor issue is the little bolt holding it on keeps working loose, so may have to use a little bit of thread lock on it.

20180807_113027.jpg

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
you'll like it now, but wait till the winter. you'll be freezing!!!

Likewise in this heatwave, hands on fire! It does tidy things up nicely though! Theres a smoothie company (Think its Innocent smoothies?) that usually do some weird wooly hat things for their bottle caps, they happen to fit gear knobs just perfectly for winter!

2003 Clio 172

Out of interest, did you have any issues with the grub screw working loose? Mine doesn't want to stay tight. I may use a bit of thread lock, but not sure if it will make much difference as the screw can't bite into the metal shaft. Maybe I should just superglue it on... ?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Out of interest, did you have any issues with the grub screw working loose? Mine doesn't want to stay tight. I may use a bit of thread lock, but not sure if it will make much difference as the screw can't bite into the metal shaft. Maybe I should just superglue it on... ?
I don't recall it coming loose at all. As probably won't be taking it off then superglue is a good idea. Will stop it coming undone.

2003 Clio 172
I don't recall it coming loose at all. As probably won't be taking it off then superglue is a good idea. Will stop it coming undone.

That's what I'm thinking tbh, as no plans to remove it. Will try thread lock, but if that doesn't work then a bit of superglue on top of the gearstick should do the trick.