ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox cooler

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
hare brained idea....

use the gearbox sump plug and the filler plug as the exit and intake for a gearbox cooler.

sump is M16x1.5 , so could be fitted with a banjo, filler hole I don't know yet.

would this work, be safe, etc?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't you need a pump to push fluid round the system? Also some kind of thermostat to keep the oil at the correct temp.

Would this not also run way more oil in the gearbox than it is designed for?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't you need a pump to push fluid round the system? Also some kind of thermostat to keep the oil at the correct temp.

Would this not also run way more oil in the gearbox than it is designed for?
yes....obviously...;)
maybe, you might want to run it thermostatically, but you could also just fit the pump with an on/off switch (maybe with added oil temp guage)
only slightly more (only what would be needed to prime the pump, hoses and cooler

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Didn't you come up with one @NorthloopCup or am i dreaming?
I did indeed do a gearbox oil cooler on my cup. Used the oil drain and fill plugs, BUT the oil drain does then become the closest item to the ground and requires a sump guard to cover and protect it. That’s what I custom made for mine.

I used a thermostatic switch on the gearbox casing to switch the pump on and ran it through a laminova in the cooling system.
You need to fill the box with the correct amount of oil and activate the pump to fill the lines/cooler until oil comes out the return line. Then top the oil up at the fill port until it’s back to the correct level.

Absolutely 100% overkill for a daily driver as the oil won’t reach the temperature to kick the pump in.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I did indeed do a gearbox oil cooler on my cup. Used the oil drain and fill plugs, BUT the oil drain does then become the closest item to the ground and requires a sump guard to cover and protect it. That’s what I custom made for mine.

I used a thermostatic switch on the gearbox casing to switch the pump on and ran it through a laminova in the cooling system.
You need to fill the box with the correct amount of oil and activate the pump to fill the lines/cooler until oil comes out the return line. Then top the oil up at the fill port until it’s back to the correct level.

Absolutely 100% overkill for a daily driver as the oil won’t reach the temperature to kick the pump in.

I think you're the only one i know of who's made a cooler for the box 😂

Civic type r fk8
Civic type r gearbox, must be something in it
Screenshot_20191031-161628.png