ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox linkage alignment

Clio 172 cup
Hello all,

I have recently had to replace an engine and gearbox on my clio and after taking the engine in and out once I then had to do it again after a con rod went through the piston.

For the life of me I can not get the gear selector alignment right and was wondering if any one could help.

-I have tried centring it in neutral and then someone holds the gear stick and line it up

- Put it in reverse gear and reverse on the gear stick and stick no joy

- Put it in first and try the same

I am thinking that when I had to move the car while the repairs were going on I did knock it off its axle stands and I am wondering if I bend the gear linkage ? Are they prone to bending ?

If anyone has any techniques to set it up it would be much appreciated.

Clio Sport 172
I found the best method was to get someone to hold it in reverse and underneath you make sure you have the same gear selected.
Tighten up, and check all gears with engine running, mark with tippex and a pen this position, then this gives a reference point to start from, to make small adjustments.

phase 1 172
when i had mine off a few month back i had a right job on finding all gears and is had the same though " have i stood on it n bent it and not realised"

eventually got it sorted got the car in neutral and got my brother to hold the gearatick central and kept giving it very very fine adjustments on the splines

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Line it up against fifth gear = sorted. Don't undue it in the wrong place as above^^^^ (bit late for that though I know...)

Clio 172 cup
After a day of fine running, fiddling and trying to get all the gears I decided to look at the linkage on my other Clio. It turned out I bent the linkage on the gearbox when I dropped the car on the floor trying to move it on trolley jacks. Once I changed the linkage over it lined up easily and was a piece of cake. I knew it couldn't be that hard to line up but after reading other people's posts it looked like it was a common problem. Anyway had the car out on its first run at Bedford Autodrome and it is a brilliant little thing!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
This is why you don't undo the linkage there, but undo it on the box inside the boot.
My Cup had a stretch boot over that joint. It was a right sod to get over the bone dry joint but I was amazed at the abuse it took while was figuring out how to get it off. Got really annoyed looking for a cable tie that didn't exist.