ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox mega leak

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Well it's not a drip anymore! Topped up the box with rather more oil than I was hoping for only to be met by it lapping at my feet. It's too dark and cold for me to be bothered investigating further but it must be pretty bad.

I thought it was coming from the selector bush but surely it cant run out that quickly can it?😫

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I hope you are both right, I'll have a better look in the morning. It was rapid though!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
2 possible places for it to leak like that.

Passenger shaft boot as already said, or, there’s a hole in the diff casing from where it’s had a broken tooth off the diff internal gears.

I’ve seen the latter a f**k load of times now.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
It's not made any loud noises in tha last year nor has is sounded like it was low on oil....yet!

I need a winter project like a hole in the head

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Right, I'm a massive idiot! This morning I had a closer look, gearbox oil everywhere so I had a big mop up thinking I'd whack a bit more in to see where it was coming from.

The filler hole! I genuinely didn't see it coming back out as I filled up and as I knew I had a leak from the selector was expecting to need to put a fair bit back in. Obviously is has lost less than 0.5 litres in the last few months.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Proper facepalm moment.
Yep, in a weird way I was well pleased though, nothing like finding out youvevmade a mountain out of a mole hill. While I was out there I diagnosed which circuit I'd draining my battery so win win. 0.100 Amps until I pulled a 20 amp fuse in the passenger side