ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Rebuild

Hello,

As you may or may not know, I am in the process of replacing the engine in my valver.

I will be fitting a new cambelt kit, (tensioners, idlers etc), a new clutch as well as new pumps.

I was planning on using my old gearbox, it has done about 80k. What shall I rebuild on it? what usually fails on them? I might as well do this now, dont want it to be off the road again for a while!

Cheers!

Chris.

They dont usually fail, they just wear selectors, synchros and break diff circlips/bearings mostly.

And its usually due to people not pressing the clutch down far enough when changing, and driving with their hand on he gear lever.

Not saying u do, but it doesnt help.

A new refurb box is about 450 and is alot easier.

Thanks Ben,

Unfortunately, I dont have £450 to spend at the moment, so I wont be buying a reconditioned box.

Is there any way I could refurb it myself? or shall I just put it back in as it was?

Cheers.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

buy a cheap 2nd hand 16v box with low miles, or do what i did and pay £300 for a full rebuild!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

use your old gearbox. to overhaul it wouldnt really be economical as you can get a guranteed recon box from renault for cheap. If it changes gears ok and its quite in operation then its ok. You can change the gearbox with the engine in but its very tight and a bit of a tw*t. Personally if im changing the gearbox i find it just as easy just to pull the engine out.

OK, thanks Jay.

Ill try it as it is. It wouldnt take too long to change the box anyway. Itll only be off the road for a weekend max. If I do it myself. Well, If I stand around watching my dad / bro in law to do it for me!

Cheers,

Chris.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

If you recon your old box the parts will come to about half the cost of a recon box,youll have the trouble of stripping it/rebuilding it and there is no warranty if its goes wrong. Best overall to get a recon unit with a years warranty. Id just stick yours in and if it goes then get a recon box and if it doesnt then you saved some money. If you dont overaly abuse it then theres no reason why it should go anyway.