ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox seal

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Someone has put a jubilee clip round the boot that sits on the bearing of my passenger side drive shaft and it leaks a bit of oil. I’ve tried numerous times to replace the clip as but as soon as I drop the car back to the ground it pulls off the bearing and obviously oil leaks out.
I know many people seem to use jubilees on these but i can’t seem to get the hang of it, would I be better draining the box and undoing the three bolts that clamp the boot to the box (so the tension is off the boot) then re-clipping it so it holds on to the bearing tightly? Then refit.
I’m reluctant to remove the shaft again after replacing it last week

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Image for reference here so it’s nice and clear, does anyone know the size of this clip or where to get one?

4e079144883fcc84c9e1e9ea54600a8f.jpg

Jubilee won't be upto the job..

Didn't you buy some new J&R shafts? Has it failed? It's and important area to ensure is sealed... without it you could easily drop your gearbox oil.

New shaft or remove yours and clean it thoroughly and use a proper clip with a press tool like I had to once upon a time

SAM_0270_zps56f62e9c.jpg
SAM_0276_zpsff895372.jpg
SAM_0283_zps382e557c.jpg

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Didn’t use the j&r shaft in the end as it caused bad vibrations so in there at the mo is a used cup oem shaft.
I’ve got it right enough in the past using a crimp on clip and done it in situ but can’t get it this time, what size clip did you use?
Going to head to the factors this morning to see what they have in stock. If I need to remove the shaft to do it then oh well

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's leaking because the jubilee clip isn't tightening the full 360 degree circumference. You need a jubilee clip with the insert to apply the pressure all the way around the surface area, or you need a cv boot/ear clip.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Yeah I did think that because the jubilees seem to “stand off” a bit when done up. what size clip do I need do you think? Seems a lot of motor factors by me don’t seem to stock the right clips