ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox sensor on a 2002 172

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Can anyone tell me if the sensor on the gearbox is positioned before or after the diff on an 2002 172?

Thanks

172DD Cup
do you mean in relation to front and back of gearbox. or side to side. forgive me, trying to help but not been asked this before. prob worth mentioning that only the ph2 cup has a speed sensor on the gearbox, the regular flavour 172 gets its speed data from the abs

172DD Cup
it takes it speedo reading off the abs sensors. when i had to replace my gearbox recently i needed to get a phase 1 gearbox or a cup gearbox, as they are the only ones that take a speedo reading off the gearbox. as yours is a 2002 i presume its a phase 2 and therefore doesn't have a gearbox sensor.

you could always have a look, its a big black sensor with a chrome heat shield. its in the manifold/starter motor area, down the back towards the steering rack, rising out of the gearbox.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Its a ph2 172 and yes I have got the chrome heatshield that surrounds the sensor next to the starter motor. So this sensor i presume is before the diff if looking from the front of car?

172DD Cup
can't recall off the top of my head. if looking from the front of the car i think the sensor is after the diff enters the gearbox.