ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearstick slack, clutch pin?

First off, I had a search but all it really brings up is stuff about short shifters etc. and broken clutches

My question is, how much "play" should there be where the gear linkage bolts onto the clutch pin?

Reason I ask is my gearstick feels very slack, there's quite a bit of play in gear and it isn't as tight as it should be to shake side to side in neutral. I know all the MK2s have a bit of a sloppy gearbox but this one is definitely a lot looser than the 50k 1.2 I had before and than a 60K 172 we had in at work a couple of weeks back.

Had a look at the linkage and theres a lot of movement where it bolts onto the pin, but I can't tighten it up any further? Should I be able to tighten it right up until it's pretty much solid?

RS RIP
^^ these parts can be replaced i think , the pin itself wo'nt give you any play. The linkage to the pin/box i am talking about. Jeeez i read a thread somewhere about this but i can't remember where sorry

Is the Stick still held in place by the (bottom) clip ? this has been known to be not in place, loose and therefore giving play all around, up and down + sideways

I've not checked anything at the gearstick end of things yet, I will have to have a look, what's the easiest way to get into it all?

Not sure if its the same on the newer clio's, but my valver had a very wobbly gearstick.

Turned out there's a spring under the car that hooks over the linkage arm and back on itself which had snapped and disappeared.

RS RIP
I've not checked anything at the gearstick end of things yet, I will have to have a look, what's the easiest way to get into it all?

Remove the heatshield . you will see the linkage and also the little ring that should be there holding in the stick ; it's one of those ring/clips with the two small holes, pressing outwards. Sorry , can'tremember what you call 'em :eek: