ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Genuine running costs of 172/ 182

Please help.......

A couple of nights ago i had my beloved TDCi focus stolen from my driveway with the keys they stole from inside my house......I doubt very much i will ever see it again as it was a limited edition........so much as it pains me i am starting to think of the reality of my next car. Im buggered if im gonna have a boring mundane car so equipped with the knowledge that i loved my 16v clio a few years back im seriously thinking down the 172/ possible 182 route, besides i have a set of rims ready to go on from said 16v.....

What i want to know is genuinely what does it cost to run these cars, i believe that they will be fragile but how so?? MPG based on not driving like an idiot all the time but not driving like a saint either, how much time do they spend in the garage being repaired and what are their weaknesses, what should i look for buying one??

Any help gratefully recieved, but i want the truth, please dont tell me its a great car when deep down you know its got problems i cant afford to buy another money pit (johnny clio cost a bit to keep on the road).......

Many thanks guys......

Chuckie

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

well i dont think i thrash my 182 - i get anywere between 28 - 32 mpg - as for the reliability - mine is under warranty and has had lots of things go wrong...

mainly the temperature sensor and ecu things but hopefully that is all water under the bridge....

hopefully someone with an older 172 can post about what costs are like out of warranty....

Volvo S60 T5

Good cars, get about 29-35 mpg on them even good when you rag them.

Have a fair few minor niggles, rattles, knocking noises, and so on but pretty good reliabilty wise done get many break down.

Service costs differ from dealer to dealer best to phone round 120 to 225 for 1st service.

The smile they put on your face when drivin is great, get one you will love it.

Im sure i would be smiling, but nothing tickled me more than leaving people at lights etc knowing full well my car was diesel. my favourite trick was on long up hill slogs, nothing could touch vin on those........ and id still see 40 MPG...... man i miss him......

Chuckie

VaVa

All due respect, but a 172/182 would have torn Vin a new arsehole, hill or no hill.

If your looking for a car thats reliable and well built look elsewhere. If you looking for a car that makes you want to get up early for work to go the long way your in the right place.

Mind you, Ive had no problems with my 172. I give it death and rarely see below 30MPG.

172 Exclusive

According to the mpg counter on my car i averaged 40mpg on a trip to alton towers last week (140mile round trip), but pottering around town i usually get more like 30-32 depending on how heavy my righ foot is haha.

How accurate the onboard computer is i dunno, but thats what it was reading.

Ive got the 172cup and only had a couple of problems with my back lights but that was only a bad earth.

I get anywhere from 29 upto 40MPG (thats if im driving like a grandad) but generally I can get an average 31mpg and cant say i drive it that steady either. I changed from a Fiat Punto HGT to my clio and ive never looked back.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Andy_M on 09 May 2005

According to the mpg counter on my car i averaged 40mpg on a trip to alton towers last week (140mile round trip), but pottering around town i usually get more like 30-32 depending on how heavy my righ foot is haha.

How accurate the onboard computer is i dunno, but thats what it was reading.
On a 400 mile round trip to Whitley bay, my 172 averaged 41.6 mpg. Did it on a full tank too.:D

i drove to Brands Hatch and back (280 miles) on friday and averaged 46mpg!! only used 3/4 of a tank of optimax too..!!

well impressed, much better than my old 1.4 economy!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by ralph wiggum on 09 May 2005

chuckie i suggest a fabia vRS, ridiculously quick for what they are and a very good q car, and 60mpg!
Didnt you read what the man said?!!

"Im buggered if im gonna have a boring mundane car"

Thats the Vrs out then...;)

VaVa

I dont care if its fast. Its still f**king dull.

And in the real world a 172 owns a Vrs.

Unless its chipped. But its still a skoda. It looks dull and drives dull as far as Im concered.

dont need to be chipped,

wouldnt say its as dull tbh, have you driven one? what being a skoda makes its sh*t, take your head out of your own arse for a moment and realise that renault aint that hot, and anyone who makes comparisions to the f1 are dreamers,

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..mines 3 yrs old and only had to replace the rear wiper rubber so far, its got a few rattles which are easily forgotten, first service was £170, im sure there are others who can tell the cost of later services, check out insurance costs, price of a tyre etc, test drive a couple. my cars better than urs blah blah blah :p..who cares, think Chuckies a girl btw

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

I have had my mk1 172 for 12 months now so here is what I have spent on her:

4 tyres £240

1 exhaust center section £250

1 service at renault £190

12 months insurance £800

Average around 35 mpg

So not to bad on running costs but bang for buck you cant beat it. I also run it on a student budget!

in recent tests the skoda VRS recorded better in gear times then the 182, i have the seat ibiza version and is alot faster then my old 2ltr valver plus with the low insurance of group 8 and way over 50mpg.

a good alternative considering his last car had a good diesel engine

HI

Ive only had my 172 for a month, so I cant comment on reliablity but the mpg that I have got has plesantly surprised me.

On the last 300 mile trip I managed 45 mpg and I wasnt holding back, it was all on fast A roads. Around town I average 32-34.

As the others say build quality seems fair so I would expect a few rattles but seriously pound for pound I dont think you can do any better. I am loving mine and could not recommend it highly enough :D

R26

"what makes u think a vRS is boring and mundane,????

i the real world as fast as a clio " - That can be your little secret!

hahahahahahahaha :)

That really cheered my monday morning blues

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by ralph wiggum on 09 May 2005

dont need to be chipped,

wouldnt say its as dull tbh, have you driven one? what being a skoda makes its sh*t, take your head out of your own arse for a moment and realise that renault aint that hot, and anyone who makes comparisions to the f1 are dreamers,
I dont remember making any comparison to F1. Although rumour has it they use a variant of the F4 engine in the F1 car.;)

I also dont think Renault are that hot. Far from it. What I do know is, as things stand, Renault make (and have made) some of the finest hot hatches to date. And Skoda, well.... havent.

Everybody jokes about Skoda. Im well aware that Skoda make some lovely motors nowadays, but it doesnt mean I cant have a pop about them. If you went on a Skoda forum, Im sure youd find them having a dig at our cars falling apart and bits falling of them etc. It just the way it is and for the most part is light hearted banter. I was hoping to bait McBunny into a reaction, but I obviously got you instead!!!

My head is far enough out of my arse to watch my friends VRs dissappear in my rear view. Tried and tested.

Skoda VRSs good for what they are, and diesels have come a long way but the cold hard facts are it cant hold a candle to a 172/182 in terms of outright pace, handling or driver involvement (imho, obviously you know better). If I was munching motorway miles I might consider one. Maybe. Theyre comfortable to drive, and not slow by any means.

They are better built. And theyre cheap too. But exciting? Give me a f**king break.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by madman1981 on 09 May 2005

in recent tests the skoda VRS recorded better in gear times then the 182, i have the seat ibiza version and is alot faster then my old 2ltr valver plus with the low insurance of group 8 and way over 50mpg.

a good alternative considering his last car had a good diesel engine
lol... in gear times eh? So the VRs beats the Clio if they both do 50-70 in fifth??Who does 50-70 in fifth in a Renaultsport Clio if theyre giving it some? If the Clio is in third, the VRs gets owned. Trust me.

just hit 26k miles, never below 40mpg when time to refill, original tyres, first service £80, 2nd service £100... one dealer issue with ecu, thats it, and im not a slow driver!!!

VaVa

thats good going, but youll need another trip to the dealers. You trip computer is clearly broken!!!. I have to frive like my gran to get 40 mpg out ogf mine on a run!!!

R

rich[182]

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 09 May 2005

All due respect, but a 172/182 would have torn Vin a new arsehole, hill or no hill.

If your looking for a car thats reliable and well built look elsewhere. If you looking for a car that makes you want to get up early for work to go the long way your in the right place.

Mind you, Ive had no problems with my 172. I give it death and rarely see below 30MPG.

2nd paragraph - couldnt put it better myself, its sometimes made work a better thought on a monday morning !

I drive mine hard, most of time 34-36mpg

33mpg out of my 182, dealer had it more than i did, not happy with that side of it but the only 2 good points are speed, handling the rest imo is crap

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 09 May 2005

just hit 26k miles, never below 40mpg when time to refill, original tyres, first service £80, 2nd service £100... one dealer issue with ecu, thats it, and im not a slow driver!!!
you sure you got a 172/182

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by tango82 on 09 May 2005

im averaging between 17 to 22 mpg. heavy right foot i guess
Holy crap, i drive mine hard and struggle to get it below 30mpg. Even after 6 laps of the Nring. You sure they didnt install the V6 in yours by mistake?

*Touches Wood* In 17K hard miles, one visit to the NRing as mentioned, 1 airfield day and plenty of entertainment on country roads, ive had to change 1 set of tyres and Pads. Nothing else, no other problems apart from the odd plastic trim rattle.

I have a feeling ill never own a car as good, value for money wise, as my little little french thing. Great performance, faults i can live with and daily chuckles as you take your c**k out and smack Mr Repmobile across the face with it and drive off with them thinking did i leave the handbrake on?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

172 Cup, 36k in 18 months...

Serviced every 6k at a cost of £130 (courtesy of Mike172sport)
2 sets of tyres = total £370
Normal commuting gives a genuine 33-36mpg (thats genuine, as opposed to what the trip comp. says)
Problems? Starter motor replaced recently. Thats it. No squeeks, no rattles, no complaints.

The only real problem is that Ive spent >£1,000 on trackdays, accommodation, fuel etc. keeping myself grinning permanantly from ear to ear :D

Oh, and I cant stop driving it...long route home from work at least once a week :D

Had my 172 for 15 months. get between 28-32 mpg on normal 95 RON unleaded.

Insurance is 695 fully comp from tesco.

The only issues Ive had is that my trip computer is tempremental in cold weather (but Im sick of Reno saying there is nothing wrong with it), and some ECU issues, but that was due to previous owner not getting it done right the first time.

Been out of warranty for 3-4 months (touch wood!!!) and no probs so far.

11.5k miles in 13 months, so no service yet (next couple of weeks).
Still on original tyres
Used 0.5litres of oil
Average 33mpg (driving 50% with roofrack plus bikes inc a lot around town)
Nothing gone wrong so far *TOUCH WOOD*
Insurance: £580 (26y.o. 3 points, 2yrs NCB)

All depends if you get a good un or not - heard some stories on here that might put a potential buyer off.

Fabia vRS is a car youd probably like, coming from another turbodiesel. Its a different style of power delivery and IS quick in real-life driving. Should be more reliable than a Clio too, but thats not guaranteed. Might be a better option for you TBH.

Clio Cup

Ive been lucky because I never had any major problems with my 172 and no problems yet with the 182. Unsure a skoda is a viable alternative unless I was over 60 then i would be more inclined to think about reliability etc and less inclined to think about how people would percieve me driving an undesireable car.

dont change gear till the shift light comes on and you ever heard the phrase drive it like you stole it, lol. no point in havin a quick car and not drive it hard

Blink172 you make me laugh........:) what happens if you dont have a c**k to slap around reps faces....... (yes i am a girl).

Thanks for all the imput guys, but i am getting the impression that folk really underestimate the performance of the new breed of diesels, i dont believe there can be much out there that handles as well as my focus, even the scoob i drove the other day felt no better, obviously wet road different story..... as for performance vin was quick, didnt feel if cos it revs so low but youd be travelling along, look down at the sppedo and think wooooo better slow dow, also cruising in 5th gear, put your foot down and it accelerates no need to change down, i dont believe that tearing a new ass hole as it was put is strictly true.. i test drove the st fiesta the other day and was dissappointed because i really noticed the lack of torque........

chuckie

VaVa

Was it a 115 bhp Tdci? My mate had a 53 plate (hes got a new A4 diesel, which is a different kettle of fish) Focus and...... erm..... OWNED. It couldnt touch my 172. Of the mark, once rolling or anywhere else you care to mention. Your being fooled, as many do, by the little shove that the torque/turbo gives you. When your wringing 4th gear in the Clio, youll realise how pedestrian your Focus really was...

Go drive a 182 and give it death.

The Focus is an excellent car handling wise.... superb. Youll find the Clio has more grip, but is much more difficult to drive fast. They are very twitchy and require a good deal of aggression to drive fast on the road. They dont take to well to potholes etc, and tend to skip about a bit on the road. Judging by the Brands footage Ive seen, they are much better behaved on a smooth race track.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 10 May 2005 at 11:25am]

yes it was the 115........ im not being fooled trust me true im yet to drive a 172 but im sure i will in the next few days and i remain dubious that it can be that much better than the focus.........

chuckie