ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Get Ready for iPhone.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The launch of Apple's iPhone is just days away and people are already starting to camp out for the next "it" device. Close to 400,000 units could be up for grabs on launch day from 162 Apple Store and roughly 1,800 AT&T locations. In the mean time, Apple has been trickling out little tidbits of information regarding the iPhone to keep interest high. Over the past week, we’ve learned that the iPhone will ship with YouTube integration along with a higher-capacity battery and a 3.5” display screen with “optical-quality glass.”
Today, the Apple and AT&T announced three rate plans that will be available for the iPhone.
"We want to make choosing a service plan simple and easy, so every plan includes unlimited data with direct Internet access, along with Visual Voicemail and a host of other goodies," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs. "We think these three plans give customers the flexibility to experience all of iPhone’s revolutionary features at affordable and competitive prices."
The entry-level $59.99 plan will get you 450 anytime minutes along with 5,000 nights and weekend minutes. Stepping up to the $79.99 plan will get you 900 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends. The top-level $99 plan gets you 1350 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends.
All rate plans allow for unlimited data (email and web), Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, unlimited mobile-to-mobile and rollover minutes.
Also noted in the press release is that a one-time activation fee of $36 will be charged for the iPhone. Given the extremely high interest level for the iPhone, it's likely that not many will bat an eye at the charge which would usually irritate consumers.
In addition, Apple and AT&T also announced that new iPhone users will be able to activate their phone through iTunes -- there is no need to wait at the store to go through the activation process.
"Users will be able to activate their new iPhone in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated," said Jobs. "There are tens of millions of people in the US who already know how to sync their iPods with iTunes, and syncing their new iPhone with iTunes works the same way."
"iPhone’s user-driven activation is another example of how AT&T and Apple have partnered to bring innovative new features to our customers," said AT&T chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson. "iPhone’s innovative activation and sync is just one example of how this is going to be a real industry game-changer."
Apple’s iPhone will be priced at $499 for the 4GB model and at $599 for the 8GB model -- both require a two-year service agreement.

I've just bought a new Dell laptop to use in place of my Macbook Pro.

No Wireless Sync of Calendars and Contacts broke me.. if it's not a replacement for Windows Mobile 5/6, then it's no use to me at all..

It's nice, but it's WAY too consumer based. Like, why the hell do I want YouTube on my mobile? I don't.. I want enterprise features which in fairness, I'll never get with Apple like I will with Microsoft solutions, Heh.

Anyway, it's kind of the reason I'm now in Vista, and now OSX.. :p

I was like, ready to be the biggest fan of this phone too.. Heh. Waited for it months and months..

Oh, and I have a WM6 phone on the way.. so... :rasp:

Citroen DS3 DSport
Windows? No thanks :D If I ever need it I'll run it on my Mac so that 90% of the time I can use a great OS and the remaining 10% I can use Windows.

Black 172
TBH its all you need.

The iphone will never be a "sim free" product. It needs network ties to function.

All you "need" is a Clio 1.2 but most of us buy something else.

How are you supposed to overtake on the motorway if granny grey nuts is doing 57 mph with a 1.2 and not annoy the Audi or BMW driver who's behind you?

Sorry, it's late and im tired and that thought popped into my head :eek:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
so is vodafone according to FT.

did some sums, cheapest iPhone will cost the yanks £936.

My p990i costs me £528 over 2 years.

Audi TT 225
I refuse to buy anything apple... I hate Mac's, I hate iPods and they can stick the iPhone too lol!

A red missile
I refuse to buy anything apple... I hate Mac's, I hate iPods and they can stick the iPhone too lol!

My sentiments exactly, this is a typical Crapple product, looks good, has better and cheaper alternatives and will break, but people will buy them because the one thing Crapple are good at is selling overpriced garbage as 'lifestyle' products that pander to peoples vanity.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

My sentiments exactly, this is a typical Crapple product, looks good, has better and cheaper alternatives and will break, but people will buy them because the one thing Crapple are good at is selling overpriced garbage as 'lifestyle' products that pander to peoples vanity.

So when did you get to try it out then?

Citroen DS3 DSport

I used to feel the same and then I realised the error of my ways. Give me a Mac over a Windows PC any day of the week. Truly brilliant.

haw-he-haw, une-sept-deux

ditto.

oh and I only had an iPod because i found one on the pavement. I kept it for around 2 months then offloaded it to the girlfriend.

Revels Mum & Sister
I was taking a shite reading one of the many mags that get sent to me at work. This was from IT Week (Word for word)

"Apple will launch its much-hyped iphone this friday in the US, but uk mobile operators are still being very cagey about discussing potentially lucrative carrier relationships.
(some waffle I cant be assed to type)
However when It week conducted a straw poll of major mobile operators asking them if they are in talks with Apple over the iphone, Orange, Vodafone and T-Mobile all declined to comment. O2 on the other hand said it was in talks with Apple and suggested that all over carriers are in the same position. Research firm M:Metrics last week suggested seven million UK phone users would be interested in the iphone"

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm interested but I'll compare it to the other offerings which will be available here around the same time.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Some not so good points here:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/26/iphone-facts-from-the-first-reviews/

The iPhone turns out to be a bit of conundrum, excelling and even revolutionizing certain phone functions, while utterly failing at others. First the bad: call quality is only average, and AT&T's weak sauce signal wasn't doing the iPhone any favors. It also can be a rather multi-step affair to even make a call, since there's no home screen speed dial or voice recognition, and the phonebook can't be searched, only scrolled through. Other failings like the lack of MMS, IM chat and video recording are even more mysterious. And that EDGE data? Pogue found himself longing for the days of dial-up, while waiting 1-2 minutes for popular sites to load, and while WiFi was quick to save the day in many instances, that's hardly an excuse in the year 2007. Luckily, there's plenty to love about this new approach to phoning, like an excellent web browser, mail client, visual voicemail and Cover Flow-enhanced iPod functions -- they're what Apple has been tooting its horn about, and they all seem to work as advertised. The keyboard more or less requires "faith" in the word auto-correction -- an Apple rep likened it to using The Force -- and while all three reviewers were able to get up to speed sooner or later, it's most certainly agreed that this is no BlackBerry-killer. Battery life was a non-issue, outstripping most smartphones, and nearly meeting Apple's claims.

Last edited: