ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting 8 miles less a bar after fitting new tyres!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
the title might read strange i know....

I have just had 2 new front tyres put on the 1.2 mk2 and we have gone from getting 50-52 miles (per bar on the digital style dials) to now getting 44 miles.

We have gone from hankook k115 to Continental premium contact 5. They are both C rating for petrol and the Continentals are A rating for wet roads compared to the hankooks which are B rating. I only went for the Continentals as they had a better rating in the wet. They also look rubbish compared to the Hankooks. They look like a doughnut where the Hankooks looked like they had more structure to them.

Massively dissapointed as they were £70 each. Size are 185 55 15. Has anyone ever experienced the same? It doesnt make sense that they have the same fuel rating yet we are now getting less miles!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
What does less a bar mean? I cant work it out lol.
Lol. The fuel gauge is digital and has around 8 bars when filled up completely. It normally drops down one bar after 50-52 miles. But now its dropping down after just 44 miles.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Ah. That makes sense now lol.
A lot of factors to take into account though with things like that. Granted 8 miles is quite a variation though.
Im guessing your basing it on driving the same as you always do.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Ah. That makes sense now lol.
A lot of factors to take into account though with things like that. Granted 8 miles is quite a variation though.
Im guessing your basing it on driving the same as you always do.
No change at all. Everything the same. As soon as the new tyres went on, the miles changed. Wish i had got the Hankooks again

probably down to a grippier compound as its a better wet rating. Could also be down to the size as they all vary slightly despite the size being the same. Used to sell bicycle tyres and they were never the same between manufacturers despite the stated size being the same. I'm not sure how it works out your fuel mpg but I'm assuming it calculates off a rotating wheel and how far its travelled combined with a fuel tank sensor. If that's the case a slight reduction in tyre diameter means the wheel is rotating slightly more than before and giving you a different reading. The only way to know for sure is to record how many litres/gallons go in and note the mileage on the clock and calculate I yourself. Could be its just as economical but the computer is giving you an erroneous figure.

Will be because of different rolling resistance on the new tyre and the weather has gone colder this week so MPG drops there as well.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
if you travelled the same distance with small tyres vs big tyres, the car would think you travelled further on small tyres because there would be more rotations, even if the true distance is the same.
Maybe ~6mm extra radius = 8miles/bar

Just a thought.