ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting amp cable to the battery -- HOW??

Just spent all afternoon trying to get a cable to the battery for my new amp. I have some cable rods that I tried to push through the bonnet release grommet, but that just hits something solid straight away. I tried feeding a load of cable through, but there's no way to see where it comes out inside the engine bay. I took the dash off to see if there were any easier ways but couldn't find any. The only productive thing I got done was stripping out the cable for the old cd changer :rasp:

I'm sure there are quite a few on here that have amps, so what is the easiest method? I was even thinking about drilling a hole but I don't know where is safe to drill

Through the bonnet release cable grommet is where I did it on both my Mk2 Clios. Just move it over to one side of the hole and push the cable through the gap left.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
You aware that you need to take two tanks out the engine bay and pull back the lining? f**king right pain in the arse, never known a car like it! Then I attached the cable to a screwdriver and got it through and got someone to wiggle it until I could see it moving then I knew where to grab it.

You aware that you need to take two tanks out the engine bay and pull back the lining? f**king right pain in the arse, never known a car like it! Then I attached the cable to a screwdriver and got it through and got someone to wiggle it until I could see it moving then I knew where to grab it.
I am now! I wasn't before. Took out the two bottles like you said and the cable was behind the lining. I've taken loads of pics so I'll post up a guide for anyone else in my position :D

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Glad I could be of help. Now to run the amp power cable through the rear seats to the boot... just about as fun! Unless you've already done that part.

Ford Fiesta ZS 2013
I ran mine from the battery into a hole in the passenger then popped the trim up and tucked it in there to the boot.

180.5 bhp 172
I run mine from the battery, dropped it to the under-tray, through the front of the passenger side wheel arch, cable-tied it neatly around the base of the damper, and then followed some pipes down the underside of the car, being very careful to keep it out the way of any moving components Then once at the spare wheel well, I made a small hole in the grommet and up into the boot.

Easiest and neatest way IMO :)

I'll get some pics now...

180.5 bhp 172
As mentioned above, over the drive shaft (I used the clip that is there as you can see), and basically work it down the underside (I used the spare pipe clips that seem to be there for some reason..!), up through the plug in the bottom of the wheel-well and into the boot.
***On the rear, make sure you leave enough slack for the suspension to operate freely without snapping your cable***

20130518_105001_zps53fdeac3.jpg

20130518_105018_zps7b242599.jpg

20130518_105022_zps7c1f3122.jpg

20130518_105051_zps35ee9bd6.jpg

20130518_105103_zpse5c65631.jpg

Hope this helps!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Nicely done! However personally I'm more comfortable with the cable running through the inside of the car... I've made it so you can't see it anywhere, took a while but done a perfect job if I do say so myself!

Lube the end of the cable up, push it through the grommet in the passenger foot well, push around a foot through, pop the bonnet, release the coolant tank, pull and twist it out of the way to the left, push your hand down behind the lining and pull up and around. Put the bottle back and hook it up. Easy.