ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting Clio Repaired?

Arctic 182
Here is the original thread that I created about what happened to my car, for those of you that haven't seen it:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...-on-Saturday-and-then-on-Monday-this-happened...

As I said in that thread, the garage my insurers sent it to said it would cost £4000 to repair, and, as such, wrote it off. My question is, if I were to buy it back, and say send it to a mechanic who could use second hand parts to repair it, how much lower would the price be to repair it, as obviously I wouldn't have to pay the list costs for parts and labour?

Thanks for any feedback I receive, really stuck as to what to do as I don't know whether I should do this, as don't really want it to just be scrapped after all the effort that has gone into it, or just get another Clio?

BG 182
It would be best to get someone to check over the car to come up with a rough idea on what parts you need. This will then allow you to work out costs for old parts, and labour. Obviously the car will be worth a lot less too now due to it being a write off. It's definately worth getting all your facts and figures do you can then determine what is the best option for you.

Would be interesting to see what they offer the car back to you for.

www.renparts.co.uk
Qtr section repair & painted approx £500, looks like it has missed the rear bumper, rear light £20, depending how hard you have hit the wheel possibly new axle time & by the looks a new wheel!

Arctic 182
Qtr section repair & painted approx £500, looks like it has missed the rear bumper, rear light £20, depending how hard you have hit the wheel possibly new axle time & by the looks a new wheel!

Yeah I was told I needed a new rear axle and wheel - how much would that cost?

www.renparts.co.uk
Approx £60 for a rear axle (bare) and anything from £50 for the wheel, plus refurb to match it back to the other ones! Up to you if you repair it, if you know it was a good car before and you can get it back cheap enough I don't see why you wouldn't repair it!

Arctic 182
Approx £60 for a rear axle (bare) and anything from £50 for the wheel, plus refurb to match it back to the other ones! Up to you if you repair it, if you know it was a good car before and you can get it back cheap enough I don't see why you wouldn't repair it!

I don't see why the garage the insurers sent it to said it would cost £4000 then? What you've quoted me as is a hell of a lot cheaper then that! The only issue is is that I think the frame is slightly damaged - the boot does open but it is quite difficult and you have to slam it to shut it? Don't know whether the garage would have been able to do anything about that?

And also, how will it affect my insurance? I realise that now it has been written off the value of the car has seriously decreased, but not sure how it will affect insurance?

Thanks for your help :)

Well depends what your looking for IMO, back to as new or "reasonable" or "perfect", its a big big job to do a 1/4 so its back to new, cutting it out welding new one back in, smoothing it off, making sure the lines right and everything lines up perfect, blending the side, and unless its done by someone who's a pro it will most likely be all over the place, and even then when you start there could be more damage under neath.

My advice, let it go.....my Mrs's car we got dead cheap its had a rear 1/4 and Nothing lines up properly even the light, as its been botched and layed over the top of the old 1/4 it would appear,the cars atleast 0.5 - 1cm out at certain points compared to the other side......scratches under the paint the size of tram lines, obviously a cheap job.

Just my opinion mind!

www.renparts.co.uk
The reason you are quoted so much is because the insurance companies use new parts, those prices I said were used parts! It's then based on a percentage against the value of a car if it get repaired or not! I guess it's just up to you! The deciding factor for me would be how cheap you could get it back off the insurance company, and if you know somebody who could do the work to a decent standard

Arctic 182
The reason you are quoted so much is because the insurance companies use new parts, those prices I said were used parts! It's then based on a percentage against the value of a car if it get repaired or not! I guess it's just up to you! The deciding factor for me would be how cheap you could get it back off the insurance company, and if you know somebody who could do the work to a decent standard

Yeah thats the only problem, I don't actually know anyone who could do the work to a decent standard! Do you have any recommendations?

www.renparts.co.uk
Only in doncaster! I'm sure if you put a thread in your local area section on here someone will be able to point you in the right direction! If you need the parts then just give us a call :)

Def needs a new qtr, back axle, wheel, tyre and blend the side. Poss in qtr damage that will repair and qtr glass may smash as its encapsulated. Find out how much to keep salvage but might be worth either letting it go or breaking. Car will be worth about trade value or less when repaired and back on the road. Which cat is it on?