ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting fed up with this now (brake related)...

Car is still pulling hard right under braking after fitting 4 pots. Changed all the hard lines to copper from the master cylinder, changed all the flexies braded on the front OE on the rear. Fluid transfer seems fine when pressure bleeding the system. Calipers pistons and slider are free. Even with OE brakes the car was pulling but left not right, new discs and pads on the rear as well.

Anyone got any ideas? What components does the cup have on the braking system? Master cylinder, ABS module etc...that could be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance, if I miss out and lose money on another track day cause it's not ready again then it's getting sold on the cheap or I'll pull it apart.

Having a read about seems the issue has got to be either the master cylinder, abs pump/module or servo. From what I gather the 182 cup doesn't have a compensator. Is there anymore components on the 182 cup system I haven't mentioned above that I'd need to check?

Its fine James, was done just before I collected the car. OE brakes going back on now to see if its the 4 pots which are playing up.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Did you swap the master cylinder? If it was pulling before the 4 pots went on then there was an issue before, probably amplified by the 4 pot power. If it pulls again with the standard calipers then you'll know that the 4 pots are just making it worse.

Did you swap the master cylinder? If it was pulling before the 4 pots went on then there was an issue before, probably amplified by the 4 pot power. If it pulls again with the standard calipers then you'll know that the 4 pots are just making it worse.
Yeah that's the plan, was pulling left before fitting the 4 pots, now pulling hard right, strange hey.

I reckon or hope the issue with the car pulling left with the OE set-up was due to one of the rear lines had collapsed. Seems odd how the sides have changed once fitting the 4 pots though.

Thanks James, fingers crossed mate. Think I'm gonna call it a day if it doesn't sort the pull and either sell on the cheap as 'work needed' or break and sell for parts. This Mondeo can get f*cked as well as I'm having issues with this also that I cannot diagnose.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
check the ARB bracket as I had one snap and do something similar to this. Put me off the scent for ages.

OK OE brakes back on and it's now back as it was before where it's feels like it's pulling left and the right rear is trying to overtake the front, where as with the 4 pots it was pulling aggressively right with the left rear trying to overtake the front. Surely it's got to be the master cylinder but how can it change sides of pulling? Also noticed when coming to a gentle stop you can feel a judder in the brake pedal just before you come to a stop, was doing this before as well.

Also just pulled the abs fuse and the car still pulls but the pedal hits the floor now and braking is terrible.

Anyone got any ideas if the MS can cause the above issues as I'm tempted to just sell it as spares or repair.

Desperate now as it looks like I'll be missing Oulton again next Friday.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
OK OE brakes back on and it's now back as it was before where it's feels like it's pulling left and the right rear is trying to overtake the front, where as with the 4 pots it was pulling aggressively right with the left rear trying to overtake the front. Surely it's got to be the master cylinder but how can it change sides of pulling? Also noticed when coming to a gentle stop you can feel a judder in the brake pedal just before you come to a stop, was doing this before as well.

Also just pulled the abs fuse and the car still pulls but the pedal hits the floor now and braking is terrible.

Anyone got any ideas if the MS can cause the above issues as I'm tempted to just sell it as spares or repair.

Desperate now as it looks like I'll be missing Oulton again next Friday.
Have you replaced the abs pump? It's 100% not a master cylinder issue imo.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Not yet, just gonna change the pump and master at the same time and be done with it.
Have you tried bleeding it up properly out of interest? You need Clip or an Rs tuner to bleed them properly, so it could be a simple fix mate tbh. Doubtful, but nothing wrong with being optimistic!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Worth a try. You said the brake lines had to be redone on the hard lines. Maybe air got into the system at that point?

Even a pressure bleeder won't get air out of the abs pump, it needs to be activated as you're bleeding.

The garage has the equipment to pressure bleed the system and it's been done over and over whilst trying to diagnose the issue. It's not Clip or an RS tuner mind but it's one of these that gives signal readings from the pump, bleeds individual calipers and detects air within the system. He said he paid thousands for it as it does pretty much everything.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Found this on here mate. Maybe worth a try.

Special precautions to be taken during the brake circuit bleeding operation:
– The vehicle ignition must be off to ensure that the hydraulic unit solenoid valves do not operate.
This procedure, known as conventional bleeding, can be applied after removal or during replacement of:
– a rigid pipe,
– a hose,
– a calliper.
Put the vehicle on a two-post lift.
Connect the bleeding device to the vehicle brake fluid tank, paying attention to the features of this equipment (refer
to the driver's handbook).
Fit the bleed reservoirs to the bleed screws.
Bleed the circuit by opening the bleed screws in the following order (remember to close them after the operation):
– rear right-hand circuit,
– front left-hand circuit,
– rear left-hand circuit,
– front right-hand circuit.
With the engine switched off, check the pedal travel.
If it is not correct, start the bleeding procedure again.
Top up the brake fluid level in the reservoir having disconnected the bleeding device. Check the tightness of the
bleed screws and that the sealing caps are all present.
Check that the adjustment of the brakes is satisfactory by carrying out a road test. If the pedal travel becomes
incorrect during the road test, apply the brake control circuit bleeding procedure.

As taken from Renault Technical Note 3588A

182, SQ7, Trafic
I'm going to have to say that I think this is an alignment issue, I'd get a full geo check and make sure everything is solid suspension and steering wise.

The only other thing I can think of is abs sensor or ring. My brother's Megane would pull to the right randomly when the abs sensor was knackered
Do they have abs rings on the front? It's just had new rings on the back. Plus wouldn't this throw up the abs light? Gonna pull it all apart tomorrow and go over it again and get it on the hunter alignment at kwik fit.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Do they have abs rings on the front? It's just had new rings on the back. Plus wouldn't this throw up the abs light? Gonna pull it all apart tomorrow and go over it again and get it on the hunter alignment at kwik fit.

Abs rings a part of the discs on the rear. The front rings are on the drive shafts.

Usually would show an error light up though yeah..