ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting up to operating temp quickly.

Chiggy_V

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172
Hi all,

Second time round owning a 172 and most of what it felt like to own and drive one disappeared to the back of my mind.

With my new one, I have noticed the temp gage gets up to temp very quickly (sub 4 mins) it never goes higher than normal operating temp (needle straight) though. I have a feeling this isn’t right, or am I miss remembering things.

I know it’s been warm recently too, so would that have anything to do with it?

Any advice and guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Seems about right to me, as long as the needle is sitting straight like you say. I've never timed mine, but that doesn't seem a million miles off what my 182 does, I've had a new genuine coolant temp sensor and thermostat in the last few years too.

Chiggy_V

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172
It looks as if I’m just used to driving other cars and not paying much attention to how quickly they warm up.

Thanks for the help

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Normal in warm weather, coolant comes up fast which is good

As @JamesBryan said above, the gauge comes up to half way around 50 deg iirc and stays there when everything is ok. The needle does not move about even though the obd temp is moving quite a lot, same on most cars these days.

Chiggy_V

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172
The dial will get to middle at around 40-50c, doesn't mean it's fully up to temp ~82c
Normal in warm weather, coolant comes up fast which is good

As @JamesBryan said above, the gauge comes up to half way around 50 deg iirc and stays there when everything is ok. The needle does not move about even though the obd temp is moving quite a lot, same on most cars these days.

Oh, okay cool.
I was under the impression that when the gauge hits half way, where it’s supposed to sit, that was its operating temp.

You learn something new every day.