ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going Diesel.

I know theres a few threads about this, but I couldn't find everything I was after.

My first car was a 1.4 16v ph1, and it did a good job for my first year (got my insurance down etc). But am now looking at going to a DCi.

90% of my driving is motorway, about 10 miles to work each day, then a commute from Kent to Bristol each weekend (170 miles). Obviously it's costing me a fair bit in petrol from the ph1, and i'll be looking at getting a ph2 dci just because I prefer the looks. Just after the low tax, High MPG, and a comfortable motorway car really.

I'll be car shopping as of next month, is there anything to look out for? never bought diesel, so don't know the common faults.

Currently my plan is to get a Dynamique DCi 100bhp 53 plate onwards (auto lights and wipers y0) then remap. Only thing is, I've read a lot about gearbox problems with the 100, should this put me off them? Or should I deal with a power loss and go for the 80?

cheers. :)

PB172,dci100,dci65
Hi, I suggest to buy a dci 100 and remap and drive wise. I have a dci100 since 2010 and didnt have a problem. The fact is when in winter the temp is below zero, sometimes it takes time to change from 3 to 2, but I dont push it (wait to slow down or rev match) and after a minute or two its fine again. Go for the dci100 if you can find one in good shape (much more diffrent than just the 20bhp). Look for cruise control too, thats what I miss on my 172. Look at cliodci.net to find more information about the diffrences.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just be aware that the prospect of a big bill for a diesel pump or set of injectors is a lot more likely than with petrol.

DCi clios are epic though, 65-70 mpg and still reasonable performance from a mapped 80 for example.

I didn't think cruise control was an option on the dcis? I was planning on retrofitting it anyway.

Cheers for the heads up on injectors. It works out ill be saving silly money on fuel a month, so I think the risk of that is outweighed really.

Is there anything I can do in the way of checks on a dealers forecourt to make sure it's a healthy example?

I think I'll probably go for the 100, then I won't lose out on the power I'm used to with the petrol as such.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
100 also has a dual mass flywheel IIRC which can be expensive too.

I think you would be surprised how well even a mapped 80 would do against your current 1.4 TBH so dont sweat too much about the power.

Check it starts easily from cold is the single biggest thing to do.
If you get there and the engine already feels warm to touch then go away and come back the next day!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i may be wrong but I believe the 100 isn't a dual mass but the newer 106's are.
there is horrible roumours about gearbox issues on dci 100's yet none of us who actually owned one had an issue with them lol, the box isn't the nicest, its the same feel as the twingo RS and new clio non RS models, not the best to use but certainly not a problem.
cruise control was an option, as was climate control, ESP, Cabasse stereo, 6 disc changer, xenons and electric sunroof (I found one with all of them :cool:)

Yes, you're right. I'll start looking at a few 80s tonight.
Just gotta wait for my ph1 to have its accident repairs on the 18/7, then I'll throw it in with a p/x.

So the usual checks like belts, starting from cold, anything else I should be looking out for? (the cheaper one looks a bit too cheap compared to a lot of the others).

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No nasty rattles and knocks above the usual tractor engine sounds from a DCi.
Just general condition, knocks and scrapes etc
Service history is a bonus but not always realistic to want on a car of that age.
Not too smokey

Clio dCi 100
I would be a bit wary of the one in the second link you posted, doesn't appear to have the Phase 3 bumper which it should have. My dCi 100 may be for sale shortly, can send pics if you are interested.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would be a bit wary of the one in the second link you posted, doesn't appear to have the Phase 3 bumper which it should have. My dCi 100 may be for sale shortly, can send pics if you are interested.

How much are you after for it?
Would think it would sell quite quickly on here if well priced :)

Clio dCi 100
Ideally would like £2300 or there abouts. May well put it for sale on here, just need to sort out the new car first!

Had our Dci for just over a year now. Absolutley faultless bar a new egr valve and cps.

Iirc its the torque increase when mapping that causes the gearbox issues could be wrong. They also like to leak where the boost pipe connects to the intercooler(offside).

Good service history is a must on one of these imo. They chap who had ours before us took it to renault for everything and by god he got ripped off!! Got receipts for loads of stuff.

As chip said things like injectors etc are not cheap.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How much is retrofit cruise?

Secondhand less than 100 quid for the bits, so long as you have the right loom to accept it etc.

Same as fitting to a 172 basically from what I head (although we've only done a 172 not a DCi so I might have been misled on that)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Secondhand less than 100 quid for the bits, so long as you have the right loom to accept it etc.

Same as fitting to a 172 basically from what I head (although we've only done a 172 not a DCi so I might have been misled on that)

I was thinking about the 530d 2003 touring, I like cruise for motorway driving which it does a lot of..

BG 182
I had a the high pressure fuel go on my old hdi pug.

Expensive pump for starters and driven by the cambelt

Probs similar setup on the dci

If you hear an intermittent high pitch squeak from near the pump, walk away. Actually run, run away!

PB172,dci100,dci65
Some hints:
- It must start on the second, max third turn of the engine even if cold. If it takes longer, there is some problem why it can not build up the required pressure (either pump or injector related), or other problem.
- All the injectors should sound the same. If one does not spray the diesel very well, the next one puts in more fuel so it compensates the power loss of the previous and that can be heard.
- You should not see much bubles in the fuel line going from the pump back to the filter. This is the issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWn2hinx9ko . There were replaced pipes but you look at the one with the blue clip coming from the pump. A little of air in 5-10sec is ok, but not what you can see on the video. The less, the better.

The second link was not a dci100, dont see the intercooler there, and like mentioned above, wrong bumper.

Cheers for all the info guys, I'll still probably take someone who knows a little something about diesels in exchange for beer tokens just to be sure.

Annoying part is I can't p/x my car until the my car has been repaired on the 18/7. But now I can't decide between a 100 or an 80 anyway! Will have to shop around.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Great guide by edde on here somewhere even if it does have the worst grammar in the world.

Getting a DCI was easily the best thing we've ever done. The 65 is fine and also easily going to be the most reliable and cheapest to repair. No intercooler to bust and less pipe to leak. Also more spares available as this was easily the most common model. There is just no urgency in it at all which is a welcome change from the 182. Now when I drive the 182 it's even more fun.

I get between 62-67 all the time and the BHP is easily enough for motorway. It is completely happy doing 80 all day long with no problems.

Check for the blasted sunroof though as the leak is beginning to annoy me now.

We paid £1200 for ours, expression plus and 106k 52 plate. Condition is very good apart from a tiny scrape on the bumper and a tiny tear in the seat.

Oil filter is nice and easy to access compared to the 182 so oil changes are super quick.

You clearly know about the tax being dirt cheap at £30. Can't recommend one enough :)

definitely good to hear loads of opinions! Cheers!

So far, pros and cons between the 80 and 100 are:

80:
more colours (and more available)
lower tax, but it is only a tenner.
Higher MPG from what I can tell
Cheaper to repair if anything goes wrong.
Can be widetracked if I ever decide to in the future.

100:
Quite keen on the discs all round
"out of the box" power
...then i'm out of ideas.

So, 80 it is, it seems!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
65 is not much different to the 80. Worth considering as well.

Add the intercooler and they go quite well, no real difference to the 80 really then.

work for BMW
Go for the 80 , and if you choose to map it you will get a very torquey 115-120bhp car

65 is not much different to the 80. Worth considering as well.

Add the intercooler and they go quite well, no real difference to the 80 really then.

how much am I looking at for an intercooler install job? I love the non-sport flame red type colour, but can only find it in a 65.

Appalling that I'm judging this by colour availability haha.

DCI100
100s are good, but then I haven't tried the 80.

Gearbox is sound so far on mine. Touch wood. It's done 100 000 miles. 20 000 were me.

But what chips saying is true

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
how much am I looking at for an intercooler install job? I love the non-sport flame red type colour, but can only find it in a 65.

Appalling that I'm judging this by colour availability haha.

Its pretty easy DIY and the parts aren't dear.

​Also the 65 engines and boxes have seen less torque in the first place.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For a diesel I would just put an evolutions chip on it mate if it was me. Not worth trying to live map that sort of thing really. Loads of expense for very little gain.

I've got the kit to do that which I'm happy to do FOC for local members and can buy in the files in the first place at trade price so it wouldn't cost you a lot. Prob about 150 quid.

The gains are very noticeable and they do a two week money back guarentee anyway if you aren't happy with their map.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
keep in mind much bigger gains to be had on an 80 and 100 due to injectors on the 65 holding you back

True although TBH most of these cars are due a set of injectors soon anyway.

Mike from MWM has a 65 with intercooler added and new injectors and it really does go very well now he has mapped it and he gets 65mpg in general driving and can add another 10mpg if he is careful with it.

I'm on the look out for a DCi myself soon as the mrs now has a 80+ miles a day commute and its got to the stage where even though the 172 is pretty good on fuel, the cost savings of a derv instead are enough to make it worth getting one.

DCI100
Chip honestly can't explain how great I think mine is :)

Think ill sell once I've done 140,00 hopefully. You'll love it haha as I'm sure you know !!!

I loved Tom @ wests sports rep, though I highly doubt I could afford a widetrack conversion on an 80, probably same for rear discs. I'll have a think and see what comes up.

I mainly need it for the mpg, but it's also because I don't trust myself with a 1*2, I'm honestly not a good enough driver yet haha. So I'll probably tidy it up what ever i end up with.