ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Golf GTI Mk7 Part 2

Golf R
I’ve recently bought myself another Golf GTi; having owned a DSG previously I’ve gone for a good spec, low owner and good history manual this time. Full leather, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Climate windscreen and a mere 28k miles.

I’ve then given it a few additions - Racingline springs, door graphics and pin striping with some H&R rear spacers, Maxton front splitter and rear lip spoiler and gloss black mirrors, with the Santiago alloys refinished in Audi carbon grey. A few pictures :

7F0B72AD-42A4-4929-8544-185772A577DA.jpeg

4EBA45FE-CE38-4499-9E37-BD6EA469E293.jpeg
52275FA6-B4FA-4315-8587-12BEC14DD35A.jpeg

4639B592-3D67-4DAA-8D44-00E930CA65E8.jpeg

7CB12687-08BE-473F-9A8B-96850CBCD8E2.jpeg

Golf R
The springs are good; I ran a set on this for 40k miles without any issue and the ride quality was never noticeably different to me. A good balance of comfort and sportiness :

C760A6B1-3574-472E-BFE6-871BB428173B.jpeg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I really really like that in silver/grey? and the red stripes properly work! Nice.

I'd have a 4 door too (showing my age, previously I'd have turned my nose up at a 4 door hatch).

Golf R
I really really like that in silver/grey? and the red stripes properly work! Nice.

I'd have a 4 door too (showing my age, previously I'd have turned my nose up at a 4 door hatch).

Yeah it's Silver; though not what I'd call a normal silver compared to my neighbours silver Honda - this has a grey hue to it.

Thanks :) - the colour combo of everything just works to me, pin striping ties in well with all the other red GTI detailing - might get the centre caps with the red outline as well. 3 door's in the MK7 just look a little strange proportionally I think!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Also much better with the wheels like that, diamond cut looks proper nasty on all wheels I think (maybe the e46 M3 19s as an exception). Those cadiz wheels some of the R's come from are so halfords!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Nice that. The MK7 Golf is such a great all-rounder. A real high point. The MK8 looks awful by comparison. I think I would have a GTI over an R if I went back. Weirdly, I think the GTI looks better as a 3dr, but the R has to be a 5dr. It's obviously something in the side skirts or something, but the R always looks odd as a 3dr to me.

Golf R
Also much better with the wheels like that, diamond cut looks proper nasty on all wheels I think (maybe the e46 M3 19s as an exception). Those cadiz wheels some of the R's come from are so halfords!

Thanks... took a slight risk on whether they would come out well but chuffed with the result.

Yeah R's need Pretoria's and at this age they are few and fair between - trying to find an R with Pretoria's, Leather, Pro Nav in Lapiz Blue is hard!

Golf R
Nice that. The MK7 Golf is such a great all-rounder. A real high point. The MK8 looks awful by comparison. I think I would have a GTI over an R if I went back. Weirdly, I think the GTI looks better as a 3dr, but the R has to be a 5dr. It's obviously something in the side skirts or something, but the R always looks odd as a 3dr to me.

Having had a GTI before I was set for an R this time; but then realised a nice spec R was hard to find, a lot more £££££ and also attracts a bit more attention from the wrong kind of people. Tend to see more 3 door R's than GTI's when I was searching; I guess I just also like the practicality of the extra doors too :)

Golf R
Looks nice! Would look even better if the wheels were HP Silver, IMO. 👌🏻

I sold my Mk7 Ed40 Clubsport last year. Was bonkers, running 400hp.View attachment 1493311

Nice Clubsport! My last GTI was white and I had a set of those wheels on it too; but think silver with the silver bodywork might not have been enough contrast - plus this grey hides brake dust a bit more so don't need to fuss with cleaning them as much! Ha

Golf R
5 door hatch club is where it's at.

Looks very nice. Weren't tempted by a Leon Cupra?

I was... I actually was close to buying one; but having had 2 years and 40k miles in a Leon FR I decided I wanted something slightly different - some Cupra's had the nice bucket seats but ultimately the dash/interior felt too samey until I got into 2018 cars which pushed my budget. I read the thread on yours and it was actually the reason I started considering a Cupra :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I was... I actually was close to buying one; but having had 2 years and 40k miles in a Leon FR I decided I wanted something slightly different - some Cupra's had the nice bucket seats but ultimately the dash/interior felt too samey until I got into 2018 cars which pushed my budget. I read the thread on yours and it was actually the reason I started considering a Cupra :)

I get that. Love the GTi. :)

Golf R
Little interior upgrade - the old wheel looked a bit tatty and had ring indentations and other scuffs, so after discovering Royal Steering Wheels work and that they are 20 mins away, I booked in for a steering wheel refurb.

GTI TCR style, with perforated leather on the sides and red centre stripe. Really happy with how fresh it now looks with the rest of the interior :

AB63DD82-1EA1-4195-B387-61D9ADCF1A68.jpeg

55EE6E65-A4E1-4B0E-ACB5-D693880BE4F7.jpeg
2CD54529-1679-4E53-A502-12A41B139D1D.jpeg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thanks @Daniel

It’s Silver allegedly; definitely a grey silver and less spotted than the usual white/red/black 👍🏼
I recently sold my GTD.

it was a really nice grey, called limestone Grey iirc? As you say, so much better than the usual black and white.