ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Golf TDi worse on fuel than 172??

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has an 08 Golf TDi 110bhp and he cannot seem to get as good mpg as his 172? Sound right? lol

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
sounds about right. is it low miles? and/or is he not used to driving diesels. its taken a couple of months for me to get used to driving it to its best ability

Clio 172
I was averaging a measly 28mpg in my Mondeo TDCi 115, very underpowered engine for the size of the car, same with the golf. I love how I can drive the 172 and get better gains from it than my Mondeo, but have the power there when I need it, was shocked when I first got it by how good it is on fuel.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
the mpg gauge lies on the 172 cup i know that... £45 a tank and 280 miles.... how does that work out at 38 mpg? and the mondeos had a bad patch where there was the wrong ecu fitted iirc

172cup
the mpg gauge lies on the 172 cup i know that... £45 a tank and 280 miles.... how does that work out at 38 mpg?

that doesnt make sense either mate. Not the info you need to calculate MPG

But anyway, your guage shows AVG MPG since the last reset. If you use the self-diagnostic tool, you can view litres per hour useage as you drive... will give you a better idea just how efficient you are driving

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Tickling it he can get 32mpg..and cruise control on with a mway blast it makes about 35 if lucky. Its only got 6000 miles on though..

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
it will open up a bit... on the clio mpg fron i worked out i averaged about 27-28 eek. no wonder 25k a year was costing loads and as for the diagnostic thing you shouldnt really have to go to that length to calculate mpg surely

Clio 172
on the clio mpg fron i worked out i averaged about 27-28 eek.

eek? I was hoping for 25 when I bought it, Ive also had a V6 4Motion Golf and I used to get about 18mpg in that :dead: bought the Mondeo to start doing Private Hire, hated it so got rid of the job and the car!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
eek? I was hoping for 25 when I bought it, Ive also had a V6 4Motion Golf and I used to get about 18mpg in that :dead: bought the Mondeo to start doing Private Hire, hated it so got rid of the job and the car!

it's a bit eek when the computer tells you something different lol i wonder how many people are under the illusion that their cars are doing really well on fuel before they work it out...

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
the astra 1.9CDTi i had, could do just abit better on fuel than my 1.2 (clio 1.2 48.5mpg) (Astra 1.9 49-50mpg) n i was driving it like a diesel 5 gear on 30 roads lol barely touching the pedal

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Very poor results for a tdi.I had an 05 tdi golf and it was brilliant.About on par with my focus i have now.I'd say something was wrong with those cars if there that bad.