ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gone Jap :)

So it's with regret that i move onto the next forum, the MX-5 Forum.

Now i know they have somewhat of a reputation as a bit of a hairdressers car but ive always wanted one.

So after trawling ebay, autotrader and papers and ones on the side of the road, i just couldn't find a mk1 that didnt look like it belonged in a scrap yard, sooooo much rust.

Then this one popped up, it really is in good condition being a 2000 reg (15 years old). interior is immaculate, paintwork is very good and the engine having done 110k still runs sweet as a nut.

Some of you may remember my old 1.2 ph1, i've loved it for the past 2 years and have lots of memories but it was time to move on.

The previous:

1-6.jpg

The new one :)

IMG_20140916_124530.jpg

time for some fun activities, only mod is the jap style plate on the right, apart from that its a completely standard 1.6, the engine bay is like new.

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Got my MX5 up for sale now! I would consider selling my wheels if your interested? 15" 8.5j on rear 7.5j on front

1927755B-4F4D-466F-B2F7-AE241DB481E3.jpg

35C5F328-72FA-40CA-88B1-816FB022E105.jpg

Based in Birmingham, PM if interested

172, Eunos Rs Turbo
Good choice mate (even if it is a NB ;)) the Mx5 is a cracking little roadster, But then again I'm very biased, I'm currently on my 3rd.

If your looking for a new home you won't regret signing up to Mx5Nutz forum.

Got my MX5 up for sale now! I would consider selling my wheels if your interested? 15" 8.5j on rear 7.5j on front

1927755B-4F4D-466F-B2F7-AE241DB481E3.jpg

35C5F328-72FA-40CA-88B1-816FB022E105.jpg

Based in Birmingham, PM if interested

thanks mate, totally skint now haha so i cant im afraid, i had a problem that i asume everyone else realises straight away and embarassed myself, i didnt realise that they only take super unleaded, so i casually shuved the nozzle in and pulled the handle, the petrol hit the unopened flap and shot up like a jet and landed all over the boot, a guy came over in shock and we couldnt fathem why the petrol wouldnt go in until we tried the other super pump. this mx5 is gonna cost me more than i thought haha.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Eh?? Isn't the pump the same size unleaded or super?? :S

172, Eunos Rs Turbo
I think that may of been an issue with the pump you used rather than the filler on the car, I've owned three 5's and each was capable of being filled with either 95 or 98/99Ron fuel.

Is the car JDM or EDM?

Eh?? Isn't the pump the same size unleaded or super?? :S

I think that may of been an issue with the pump you used rather than the filler on the car, I've owned three 5's and each was capable of being filled with either 95 or 98/99Ron fuel.

Is the car JDM or EDM?

I honestly dont know what was going on, the filler flap says Super Unleaded, it was at tesco, so maybe shell will be fine, i think its strange how it wont physically let me put normal fuel in.

and no its not an import, but does have Japanese credentials haha

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
You should definitely be able to fill up with normal unleaded. I've got the same car and put that In every time, wouldn't think an import would make any difference as I'm sure they only have 95 Ron in Japan.

Looks good though, You've basically done the same as me except I didn't get round to modifying my Clio.

Get it on track and have a lot of fun would be my reccomendation.

You should definitely be able to fill up with normal unleaded. I've got the same car and put that In every time, wouldn't think an import would make any difference as I'm sure they only have 95 Ron in Japan.

Looks good though, You've basically done the same as me except I didn't get round to modifying my Clio.

Get it on track and have a lot of fun would be my reccomendation.

it would be great if i didnt have to put the expensive stuff in, just very strange that the pump doesnt fit in at tesco and the super stuff did.

i'll try shell and esso see if their any different

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
it would be great if i didnt have to put the expensive stuff in, just very strange that the pump doesnt fit in at tesco and the super stuff did.

i'll try shell and esso see if their any different

Yeah it is a strange one, hopefully it's just a dodgy pump.

What sort of plans you got for it?

172, Eunos Rs Turbo
I honestly dont know what was going on, the filler flap says Super Unleaded, it was at tesco, so maybe shell will be fine, i think its strange how it wont physically let me put normal fuel in.

and no its not an import, but does have Japanese credentials haha

The fuel filler will be exactly the same on both import or a UK car.

The reason I asked was if it's a UK car or a import was I hoped you paid good attention to the front chassis legs?

These are a known very weak point of the NB shell and rot out especially in UK cars, imports have normally had less exposure to our crappy salted winter road and as a result suffer less from tin worm.

Yeah it is a strange one, hopefully it's just a dodgy pump.

What sort of plans you got for it?

just been flicking through your thread, same age and looks pretty much the same model, no leccy windows, same steering wheel and stuff. :) anywho

thinking proper drift style roll bar, maybe some handling mods, but never lowering a car again, the best bit about this car is the soft suspension. new gearknob, the standard on has made my hand sore in a day somehow, make it look pretty with polish, mine already has the jap style plate on the front so.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Haha I'm guessing your Clio wasn't the softest of rides. They certainly don't need to be lowered to have fun in so you should be alright there.

Haha I'm guessing your Clio wasn't the softest of rides. They certainly don't need to be lowered to have fun in so you should be alright there.

i know what you mean. i took it down some nice windy country roads today, was so much fun, put a smile on mine and my mates faces haha, although id like to make the ride stiffer but not hard so may invest in the cage thing you an get for underneath ive seen they do quite a bit of difference.

i honestly dont want to look wierd looking through your thread haha but my gear stick and gearstick surround are getting warm, a guy on the mx5 forum has said its this shift boot thing, just noticed youve done yours, was it hard to do? if you could give me a few pointers that would be great, thanks

The fuel filler will be exactly the same on both import or a UK car.

The reason I asked was if it's a UK car or a import was I hoped you paid good attention to the front chassis legs?

These are a known very weak point of the NB shell and rot out especially in UK cars, imports have normally had less exposure to our crappy salted winter road and as a result suffer less from tin worm.

well hadnt paid any attention to this and didnt know about it tbh, it passed its MOT 2 days ago so im hoping this would have been something they would have picked up on.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
i honestly dont want to look wierd looking through your thread haha but my gear stick and gearstick surround are getting warm, a guy on the mx5 forum has said its this shift boot thing, just noticed youve done yours, was it hard to do? if you could give me a few pointers that would be great, thanks

Haha now worries, yeah it's pretty easy to change the shift boots. I used this guide http://www.planetmx5.com/shift_boots.htm which was pretty good. The screws for the centre console might be ever so slightly differant with a mk2 but it's pretty similar. Just make sure you have something to remove the old oil from the turret else you'll have to sit there with kitchen roll mopping it like I did. Oh and make sure you put it on the right way round.

The ones in there will almost certainly be broken.

172, Eunos Rs Turbo
As the guide points out, get yourself a turkey baster from a supermarket, I got one from Morisson's for about a quid it's the easiest way of sucking the old oil from the turret.

Listerine & Poledo
Shift gaiters are literaly so easy that I could do them. The whole car comes apart with 2 screwdrivers and 1/2 a Halfords socket set.

If you want to give your suspension a refresh withoutr being y0-mad-JDM4lyf-yolo-stance-slam-r****d, hunt out a set of the springs and shocks for the Mk2.5 "Sport". A little firmer than what you'll have, but the same ride height and more control.#

Engine wise, unless you bolt a turbo/supercharger to it, it's a pointless exercise.

Oh, and it is possible to fit tyres on MX5 wheels which are the correct size....contrary to what many seem to think on Nutz ;)

Anyhow, enjoy! oh, and see if you can get a hard top sorted for the winter. If you're using it as a daily, hardtops turn MX5s from tents to cars

Shift gaiters are literaly so easy that I could do them. The whole car comes apart with 2 screwdrivers and 1/2 a Halfords socket set.

If you want to give your suspension a refresh withoutr being y0-mad-JDM4lyf-yolo-stance-slam-r****d, hunt out a set of the springs and shocks for the Mk2.5 "Sport". A little firmer than what you'll have, but the same ride height and more control.#

Engine wise, unless you bolt a turbo/supercharger to it, it's a pointless exercise.

Oh, and it is possible to fit tyres on MX5 wheels which are the correct size....contrary to what many seem to think on Nutz ;)

Anyhow, enjoy! oh, and see if you can get a hard top sorted for the winter. If you're using it as a daily, hardtops turn MX5s from tents to cars
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate that, spent the day trying to sort my passenger droplink to no avail, just couldn't get the bolts of even with a rattle gun looks like I'm going to have to saw the old one off

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah, drop links end up needing heat/cutting.
My rears still need doing, got myself penned in for a day with Ant to do those, replacement Bilsteins and a whole s**t ton of other bits :/

Yeah, drop links end up needing heat/cutting.
My rears still need doing, got myself penned in for a day with Ant to do those, replacement Bilsteins and a whole s**t ton of other bits :/
Luckily the front springs look new and the backs aren't that old, the shocks might need doing soon but thinking about a tighter ride rather than a hard ride tbh.

Had it a couple of weeks now and love it, very revvy and hec lot faster than the clio (Sold and gone now :( miss that car a lot already )

Home from home decided to put a Fabia splitter on, i reckon it really suits it, eyelids, new droplink, full detail in/ out and roof protection. Chassis rails checked thoroughly and no major rust spots at all. Done a lot in two weeks but made it mine already. :)

Plans:
After either a half cage or something simlar to the Mazdaspeed Roll Bar
Spray the wheels or get some better ones
Poly Bushes at some point
Small subtle spoiler
and lots more just when i have the money

Few Pics:

6.jpg

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

I kept these Speedline Vega wheels when I sold my clio and thought to myself today that they might look good, so I got some proper wheels nuts and wacked them on. I loved them on my clio and think they look pretty good on this.

63da01aaf21f672d10e95be46b50fd6d.jpg

821842f124cf57d070c9ae541d54be0c.jpg

63700eb9dfbd05701c08a1ccee584fbc.jpg

So a quick update, I've now had the MX-5 for 2 months its gone so fast. At first I had my reservations and really missed my small, economical and cheap to run clio. I still do miss it but when your going down a country lane with the roof down soaking up the corners I couldn't love the 5 more.
smile.png
It's really grown on me. no doubt i'll come back to clios at some point though

So up to now:
- 1993/4 Speedline Vega (MK1 Renault Clio / Renault 19) Wheels 195/50/15
- TOYO Proxes T1R's - The grip on the MX5 is very good even in the wet which is when everyone says their rubbish :S
- Sprayed centre console in BMW Graphite, New Gearknob and New leather gear gaiter.
- Sprayed Front Badge Black / Front tow hook
- New rear plate
- Whole car detailed and waxed ready for winter (after photos)
wink.png

- Passenger droplink fitted
- Cleaned Roof

Plans:

- Thinking Coilovers not so much for lowering but for handling as well as strut braces underneath and under the bonnet
- Would love a ducktail spoiler but like the more subtle ones
- Exhaust is one of my top priorities (its just not loud enough haha) MX5 Parts Exhaust???
- I want some of those big mud guards for the back but cant find any???
- Maybe roll bar at some point

So here it is, not much has changed in terms of mods but some new photos:

1-9.jpg

DSCF4033.jpg

DSCF4067.jpg

a bit of slow shutter action
smile.png

DSCF4055.jpg

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Looks neat, needs the coilovers though and a little more light in the slow shutter shot! :grimacing:

My friends just got an awesome roll bar for his, that does a proper job. Looks the dogs too, proper bit of kit.

Swift Sport
Nice! Can't beat an MX-5 for cheap driving enjoyment! Here's mine...
15774475602_842f6deeaf_c.jpg

I couldn't get on with the MX-5 forums and meets... I found them a dull bunch!

Listerine & Poledo
Sorry, just spotted how you're pouring Super unleaded into your 5.
No need chap, completely unnecessary, even on y0! JDM spec-R-edition-S imports.
It's an old-tech engine, it doesn't care what fuel you put in it, as long as it's got some octane. Exact same engine spec is used in the US where their petrol is about as explosive as Savlon.

- Suspension - I just swapped my tired old Sport-S Mazda struts for the Bilsteins from a newer Mk2.5. They removed the wallow, pitch and yaw in one go and I didn't have to lower the car at all....which was already grounding out over speed bumps, how the slammed set get along with dragging their sills is beyond me :smile:
- The MASSIVE mudguards are part of the OEM bodykit, along with side skirts and , for a Mk.2, a new nosecone with fog-light zits.
- MX5 parts exhaust - not any louder than standard really. bloke at work put one on his and it made all of no difference....also it looks s**t
- Stiffening - if you can get hold of the under-bracing from a Mk2.5 Sport, that'll sort you out. all the mounting points are already in place on your car, you just need to line it up and bolt it on.
-roll bar - A PROPER roll bar will also help with bracing, of course, but is a bit more of a faff to fit. Only got a style bar on mine, which is just pointless bling.
- MX5 Owners Club - They're more about enjoying the car as it was created. Nutz is more the scene for "wow, ma coililez n spacers are phat. Check out me stretch tyres lol"

I do know a guy who has a proper aladdins cave of used parts, he can post stuff out too. It's who I got my Enkeis, Bilsteins, calipers and all sorts off of. I'll PM you details if you like?

ENJOY!

Nice! Can't beat an MX-5 for cheap driving enjoyment! Here's mine...
15774475602_842f6deeaf_c.jpg

I couldn't get on with the MX-5 forums and meets... I found them a dull bunch!

Lovely car that, I was after a mk1, went to have a look at a couple and couldnt find one that wasnt ready for the scrap yard for my budget, managed to get mine a good price and in good condition, yours is like new haha

Sorry, just spotted how you're pouring Super unleaded into your 5.
No need chap, completely unnecessary, even on y0! JDM spec-R-edition-S imports.
It's an old-tech engine, it doesn't care what fuel you put in it, as long as it's got some octane. Exact same engine spec is used in the US where their petrol is about as explosive as Savlon.

- Suspension - I just swapped my tired old Sport-S Mazda struts for the Bilsteins from a newer Mk2.5. They removed the wallow, pitch and yaw in one go and I didn't have to lower the car at all....which was already grounding out over speed bumps, how the slammed set get along with dragging their sills is beyond me :smile:
- The MASSIVE mudguards are part of the OEM bodykit, along with side skirts and , for a Mk.2, a new nosecone with fog-light zits.
- MX5 parts exhaust - not any louder than standard really. bloke at work put one on his and it made all of no difference....also it looks s**t
- Stiffening - if you can get hold of the under-bracing from a Mk2.5 Sport, that'll sort you out. all the mounting points are already in place on your car, you just need to line it up and bolt it on.
-roll bar - A PROPER roll bar will also help with bracing, of course, but is a bit more of a faff to fit. Only got a style bar on mine, which is just pointless bling.
- MX5 Owners Club - They're more about enjoying the car as it was created. Nutz is more the scene for "wow, ma coililez n spacers are phat. Check out me stretch tyres lol"

I do know a guy who has a proper aladdins cave of used parts, he can post stuff out too. It's who I got my Enkeis, Bilsteins, calipers and all sorts off of. I'll PM you details if you like?

ENJOY!

Thanks a lot, pretty much sums up everything I had questions about :smile: I have so many plans at the minute, tax is going to wipe me out this month, Double what my clio was haha. I'll see about getting some 2.5 bits though and then onto bigger things, thanks

also i got slated on the mx5nutz forum about the petrol situation. that one time at tesco, i swear the nozzle wouldnt go in, it just sprayed everywhere, now its fine though i use standard :)

Listerine & Poledo
:)
Yeah, all bar the nosecone from a Mk2.5 will bolt straight onto yours. There's a reason they're better than poppy-up lights ones....Mk2's came with a decade of development parts already attached from the factory ;)

I only go on Nutz to look at the classifieds now, it seems that 90% of the people on there are actually paid-up racing drivers who are only chav-scummers in their time off lol

:smile:
Yeah, all bar the nosecone from a Mk2.5 will bolt straight onto yours. There's a reason they're better than poppy-up lights ones....Mk2's came with a decade of development parts already attached from the factory :wink:

I only go on Nutz to look at the classifieds now, it seems that 90% of the people on there are actually paid-up racing drivers who are only chav-scummers in their time off lol

your right it does appear that nearly all the cars in the rides section are pimped up track cars :0

So its been a month or so now and I've done a few bits and bobs. Some critical and some mods.
- Miata badge, shipped over from a guy in California.
- Prosport water temp gauge.
- Roof gutter because I came back of holiday to find an actual puddle on the floor mat.
I decided to put stripes on it but then they came of straight away haha
- Next step is new louder exhaust.
d135a5199a2ad81068bbc5ce84d63808.jpg

a57cc04a50ee636a384ce79441aa791e.jpg

e05ec7dcc3e472fcd0b959c25762dab4.jpg

If anyone want to know how its wired let me know
a01ae6249af258a79d045d47de5fdb22.jpg

Just a mock up jubilee clips were added after
b62849e668d7ccef678d75d689e6234a.jpg

Looks like this when the ignition is off
bc0eeb8acb3585e907fe137eb1914fa9.jpg

811015b910a08f07ce65c193d89398f9.jpg