ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gonna try detailing my car - advice needed

172 rep
Ok. After seeing some pics on here of cars that have been detailed, i've decided to give it a go.

I already clean and polish my car regularly, but have decided to give claying and waxing a go.

Was just looking for some advice on what to do/ what order to do things in, here's a list of the products I have/have ordered, what order would you suggest?

G101
Autoglym shampoo conditioner
Autoglym polish (some dark car speciality stuff)
Tar remover/preptone
Clay bar
Dodo juice purple haze
Autoglym window polish

I have a wash mit/wax applicator mit thing and I also have a machine polisher at my disposal, but used that on the car a few weeks back as there were quite a few swirls etc in the paintwork, got them all off now though.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Golf GTD Mk7
Jet wash and shampoo (wheels as well)
Tar removal
Rinse
Dry
Clay
Polish
Wax (2 coats - buff off coat 1 then give it another coat the day after.)
Windows
Could i suggest some autoglym bumper car for all the plastics too. Adds a little something ot the finish imo.
Presumably you're using G101 for the wheels?

Got all this to do on mine, plus full swirl correction before WSR.

172 rep
Wash
Clay
Re-wash
Dry
Tar remove if necessary
Polish
Seal
Wax

Done :)

What's this seal?

Jet wash and shampoo (wheels as well)
Tar removal
Rinse
Dry
Clay
Polish
Wax (2 coats - buff off coat 1 then give it another coat the day after.)
Windows
Could i suggest some autoglym bumper car for all the plastics too. Adds a little something ot the finish imo.
Presumably you're using G101 for the wheels?

Got all this to do on mine, plus full swirl correction before WSR.

Do have plastic stuff, forgot to say - not autoglym though, some blue gunky stuff bought from one of those Autosmart trucks.

Sealant is something like AGs Extra Gloss Protection. It just helps protect the paint after polishing, and normally goes on before waxing :)

172 rep
Started the detail today, first began with a wash using the two bucket method, I then clayed the car and washed it again.

I didn't start 'til late, so started to run out of light at this point, and decided to call it a day. Will do the rest tomorrow.

I couldn't believe the difference in the feel of the paintwork after it had been clayed, or how much it shined, and it hasn't even been polished yet!!

Video: (listen to the difference in noise) The first bit is the back of the car that has not been clayed, then it's the side of the car which has already been done.
http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt50/jujuju3004/?action=view&current=V230409_1750.flv

Some piccys:
P23-04-09_1946.jpg

P23-04-09_1947.jpg

P23-04-09_194703.jpg

RB Cupped 182
Hi guys

ive got swirl marks all over my RB. wots the best way to get them out? Elbow grease or a mop? wot products will be best?

thanks

Nimbus 197
Hi guys

ive got swirl marks all over my RB. wots the best way to get them out? Elbow grease or a mop? wot products will be best?

thanks

depending on depth of the swirls, a bit of AG SRP should help. Failing that, machine polisher time :) - all after some proper preparation first though.

Be careful when you're claying it can leave some irritating marks behind if you're not.

Just make sure you use loads of lube :D