ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Goodyear tyre issues from new (and other manufacturers)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Not the first time I've had this. But last time it wasn't that drastic.

Anyway, 4 new Goodyear Assymetric 6 tyres bought 2 weeks ago from National tyres (now under Halfords) and had them fitted.

Straight away I could feel them as quite uncomfortable but whatever, I'd made the choice and got these tyres now. Then took it on the motorway the next day for the commute and it was shaking through the floor and seat, so clearly something wasn't balanced properly. So, another trip to another tyre fitter to have them redone. Balanced up on the static balancer, well within the tolerances of the machine, but could clearly see a noticeable amount of run out on the assembly as the wheel would oscillate up and down on the spindle. Fingers crossed I wouldn't notice I thought and the balancer said it was all ok. Straight back on the motorway and it's no better.

So, reluctantly (as it's £45 a wheel!) booked it in for roadforce balancing this morning. If they couldn't balance it out, then at least I'd know for certain if it were my wheels or tyres (both bought brand new, to avoid this kind of hassle). Turns out the wheels are almost perfect and well within tolerance (there's no such thing as a perfectly round wheel or tyre), but the tyres have got imbalances/run out/defaults much more than can be balanced out and out of tolerance to be able to not feel any road force vibration.

Tolerance is 60 NM. Mine are 85nm and 165 nm.

So back to national and they tell me all they can do is investigate. Suggest for me to buy more tyres from them (LOL) and then they'll send these off to be tested. IF goodyear find fault then I'll get a refund. Seems an absolutely ridiculous rule - supply and fit was done by national and I have paid National, not goodyear.

So yeah, as you can imagine I'm pretty effed off - £520 tyres, £40 rebalance, £95 roadforce balance and I still need to buy 4 new tyres. Will be going back to trusty PS4S at £620.

Won't be buying Goodyear ever again that's for sure and National won't be getting any glowing reviews either.

Has anyone else had similar issues in the past or has also had issues with Goodyear? Someone else on a FB group has been asking me about it as he has the exact same problem, with the same model tyres, bought from the same retailer (albeit different branch)

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I had similar with the Goodyear Asymmetric 5’s.

Had some fitted to the front (by KwikFit because 10% off) last March and felt like they weren’t balanced properly, properly loud and felt dead hard. Gave it a few weeks and all that went away so I just put it down to them being new, coating on them etc.

Just had some more fitted to the rear and got exactly the same feeling at 70mph+. Was going to leave it a few weeks again in the hope it rectified itself. At just shy of £400 for 2 tyres, I hope to god it does sort itself out like the fronts did 😂

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I had similar with the Goodyear Asymmetric 5’s.

Had some fitted to the front (by KwikFit because 10% off) last March and felt like they weren’t balanced properly, properly loud and felt dead hard. Gave it a few weeks and all that went away so I just put it down to them being new, coating on them etc.

Just had some more fitted to the rear and got exactly the same feeling at 70mph+. Was going to leave it a few weeks again in the hope it rectified itself. At just shy of £400 for 2 tyres, I hope to god it does sort itself out like the fronts did 😂

Same yeah I gave it a couple of commutes and it got worse if anything. Could feel it 'bump' on rotation even at like 40 on the local roads. Not having that on the newest car ive ever had, on 24k, with brand new wheels and tyres!

I genuinely think this happens more than people think but folk just live with it. Can't stand any vibration or niggles whatsoever.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I've had the same, but it was a long while ago when the asymmetric 3 just came out. Exactly the same issues as you, could see that the tyre was all over the place on the balancer machine.
I got the tyres from ETS who are a big distributor, they contacted GY, GY admitted that it was a manufacturing defect and I got a refund.

Fingers crossed you can get it sorted

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
It was a toss up between the GY and PS4 for the next set of tyres on our car as Costco always have offers on both the brands. Glad I saw this first so I can give the GYs a swerve. 👍

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
It was a toss up between the GY and PS4 for the next set of tyres on our car as Costco always have offers on both the brands. Glad I saw this first so I can give the GYs a swerve. 👍

That's what it's here for!

They were a nice feeling tyre feedback wise, no roll like the PS4S, but so firm and only come with 6.8mm! But the manufacturing process sounds a bit shoddy and I can't trust them anymore. If I buy new stuff I expect it to be right first time, no faff.

The supersports I had a couple of years ago, were brilliant. Same size too. But I'm not a gambling man :)

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
To be fair though, I only ever put PS4’s on our Audi, I’m just waiting for the Conti’s to wear out on the Seat then I can put what I’m familar with on them.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Sale of goods act 1979, section 14, implied terms of quality or fitness. The seller has the duty to deal with you and seek remittance from the manufacturer.

May I suggest slagging them off on Twitter and seeing how quick they respond.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sale of goods act 1979, section 14, implied terms of quality or fitness. The seller has the duty to deal with you and seek remittance from the manufacturer.

May I suggest slagging them off on Twitter and seeing how quick they respond.

I did kinda hint that I'd leave back feedback and reviews until this matter had been closed (apart from CS obvs and a FB page :) )

They got back really quickly to me today to be fair once it had been escalated past the centre manager who clearly has no authority to make these decisions.

Once I take the tyres back next week, once they're off, they'll refund me. Took a couple of weeks of pissing about to get to this stage though.

Glad its getting sorted. I've never had issues with any goodyears I've bought makes me wary about buying them again though, especially as i normally buy off black circles.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've read about so many issues with Goodyear's. The BMW F3X groups on Facebook seem to be full of posts about the sidewalls bulging. I've ran about 70k miles on a mix of Assy 3 and 5's and thankfully never had an issue. Mate of mine swears by them too and has ran them on every car he's had for the last 4 or 5 years and never had an issue either.

Forums and FB groups definitely exacerbate matters, being that you only read the bad stories, but there definitely does seem to be more issues with them than any other 'premium tyre' in recent times.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
They are an utterly horrendous tyre, i had them on my brand new Up GTi and between every tread block they had cracking between them at virtually 7-8mm of tread left, won’t ever buy goodyear again.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Aparently a 1 star Google review can work wonders if they don’t play ball.

bloke at work got advised to give a 1* review after awful service at a Hyundai dealership, it notifys the dealer and Hyundai UK who want nothing less than a review like that.
Fingers crossed your on the right path to getting sorted!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not that it helps you but I had some new tyres fitted recently - all good. But after an hour on the motorway it was f**king horrible, worrying in fact. Low speed all good.

Was working though the little mental list trying to think which bush was fucked when it clicked.

Despite the tyre man asking me what pressure I wanted (32psi) they were all 45psi cold! After an hour on the motorway they were probably well over 50psi 🤦

Felt lush as 32.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Not that it helps you but I had some new tyres fitted recently - all good. But after an hour on the motorway it was f**king horrible, worrying in fact. Low speed all good.

Was working though the little mental list trying to think which bush was fucked when it clicked.

Despite the tyre man asking me what pressure I wanted (32psi) they were all 45psi cold! After an hour on the motorway they were probably well over 50psi 🤦

Felt lush as 32.

Yeah i tried that. Believe me, the last resort was to pay 95 quid for 2 wheels to be balanced!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I've just had a pair of 255/35/18 Asymmetric 6's fitted on the rear of mine, no issues for me.

Had several sets of Goodyear's over the years, I've got Asymmetric 5's on the front of mine and Efficient Grip 2's all round on the wife's Golf, never had any issues, so either I am lucky, or you're unlucky!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Good tyres (when not faulty) Just not a gambling man. Michelin were so much comfier too. Even these davanti/p zero I've got on the oem wheels I've had to put back on, are more Compliant than those assymetric 6.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Very. I buy stuff new now (and not the cheap crap) to save all this faff of running around dropping the car off at various places, chasing complaints, etc.

CBA

Hopefully these PS4S will be spot on. Were supposed to be fitted on Weds but no stock til the 9th so wasn't a great start!

A4 Avant & A3
Just stumbled across this, I've always been happy with the goodyear tyres I've had in the past.
However, my old man had 4 new tyres put on his Kadjar last year & was complaining about them when on the motorway, saying it was like the balancing was off but had been checked twice... i thought he was being a silly old sod!
In the end they were swapped with some Michelins & no more complaints so must have been something in that.. the tyres were sent off for testing & came back 'fine'.. luckily he knows the manager of the tyre place so they took the goodyears back & he just paid a few quid more for the michelins.

And more recently, my grandad bought a peugeot (not sure on model) from a dealership & was complaining about the tyres 'skipping' when doing semi tight turns. After a lot of hassle the dealership agreed to replace the tyres for another brand & I'm sure they mentioned Goodyears are known to 'skip'

Might steer clear next time (i do currently have eagle F1s on the front of my A4 & all round on the A3)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Just stumbled across this, I've always been happy with the goodyear tyres I've had in the past.
However, my old man had 4 new tyres put on his Kadjar last year & was complaining about them when on the motorway, saying it was like the balancing was off but had been checked twice... i thought he was being a silly old sod!
In the end they were swapped with some Michelins & no more complaints so must have been something in that.. the tyres were sent off for testing & came back 'fine'.. luckily he knows the manager of the tyre place so they took the goodyears back & he just paid a few quid more for the michelins.

And more recently, my grandad bought a peugeot (not sure on model) from a dealership & was complaining about the tyres 'skipping' when doing semi tight turns. After a lot of hassle the dealership agreed to replace the tyres for another brand & I'm sure they mentioned Goodyears are known to 'skip'

Might steer clear next time (i do currently have eagle F1s on the front of my A4 & all round on the A3)

There will be so many more who just live with it or get fobbed off. If mine weren't elastic band 35 profile I might not have noticed.

The supersports I've had before were perfectly fine, but had these unreliability issues with the assy 5 and 6. Shame as they feel like a really responsive tyre otherwise and are quite quiet.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ps4s are like driving on fluffy clouds compared to those assy 6! And they're round too 😂

406 V6, Race Buggy

I've got some Dunlops on the daily that do the same thing, they're going shortly, got some Kuhmos to replace the awful bloody things

A4 Avant & A3
I think you were just unlucky TBH. I've had Goodyears in the past and know loads of people that use them and don't think I've ever heard of issues.
I've had goodyears on various cars for years, normally the eagle F1 and also the efficient grip or whatever they were called, I've never really had any issues.

The only thing i get with mine I which i never really thought much about is this 'skipping' feeling, on a few particular roads i drive on, doing a right hand turn into a street it does feel like I've slipped on a manhole but there isn't one there.. so that must be this 'skipping' feeling i guess.

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I was going to get some goodyear 6 as seem to win tyre reviews for MX5 but this thread has put me off.

Had the skipping really bad on Megane when on Cup 2's. Went away with PS4s. But still does again occasionally on tight turns in the wet.

Perhaps its just with compound getting harder less rubbery.

I think Megs may have a habit of doing too cause of geometry.

406 V6, Race Buggy
A lot of modern cars skip more on full lock - cars haven't run anywhere near full ackerman geometry for a while now, gets worse with wider tyres too.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I was going to get some goodyear 6 as seem to win tyre reviews for MX5 but this thread has put me off.

Had the skipping really bad on Megane when on Cup 2's. Went away with PS4s. But still does again occasionally on tight turns in the wet.

Perhaps its just with compound getting harder less rubbery.

I think Megs may have a habit of doing too cause of geometry.

I wouldn't rule out getting Goodyear for others. I won't be buying them again though.
I was unlucky, but a top brand like that shouldn't have issues like this.
Purpose of thread really is to not be fobbed off if you get a vibration. Don't care how rare it apparently is, it happens and tyre manufacturers should be more willing to address this in aftersales

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Either I'm numb to the feedback and sensations, but I've never really had issues with any tyre on the 182 - and that's included Contis, Goodyears, Michelins and Pirellis.

The only one that ever did cause me frustration were the factory fit (and tiny) Pirelli tyres on my previous Punto GT. They were SO soft that I'd be looking at replacing the fronts every four to five months. And they weren't cheap either back then - made worse by the fact that they were a really obscure size and there weren't many alternatives.

When I switched alloys from the OEM 14" up to 17" - I suddenly had a world of choice AND the price was cheaper per tyre - lol.