ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google Nexus 5

LY 182
Got mine yesterday.

Really enjoying it so far. Love the texture of the back it feels great in the hand, and I can't believe how light it is. Screen is lovely and obviously it's very nimble.

Still getting used to Android so there's a bit of crossover where I'm still thinking about iOS gestures and what not. Whilst I really like the big display, coming from an iPhone 4 this device does feel ridiculously big right now, but again I'm sure that's something I'll adapt to.

Overall definitely recommended. Simply not going to get a device of this quality for £300/£350.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Just tried it with mine and i'm the same as Danny, can only get 2 home screens (not that i'm bothered, was just curious).

I'm no noob to Android either, so i know what people are saying about dragging to the right to add more.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Edit: Scrap that!

I've figured it out, it's a different way to my HTC One X though. You need to go into the Apps menu, press and hold the app you want to add to a new screen and a new one will appear.

Can't believe i didn't think of that before :eek:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Got mine yesterday.

Really enjoying it so far. Love the texture of the back it feels great in the hand, and I can't believe how light it is. Screen is lovely and obviously it's very nimble.

Still getting used to Android so there's a bit of crossover where I'm still thinking about iOS gestures and what not. Whilst I really like the big display, coming from an iPhone 4 this device does feel ridiculously big right now, but again I'm sure that's something I'll adapt to.

Overall definitely recommended. Simply not going to get a device of this quality for £300/£350.

You'll get used to the screen size very quickly, my N4 feels just right, not too big...not too small.

Pick up an iPhone and you'll wonder how you ever lived with it.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I have the misfortune of using iPhone's in work a lot ranging from the 4 all the way to the 5s. I can't use the keyboard for s**t and the screen is far too narrow.

On the subject of keyboards I assume everyone with the Nexus 4 has just had a Google keyboard update? They've swapped a few symbols round and now it's greyscale. Looks really dull but seems a little smoother and faster.

Can anyone confirm if this is the same as the 4.4 keyboard?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
What's the benefits? Now that the Google keyboard has continuous typing/swype/whatever else it's been called I can't really see the need for a 3rd party keyboard.

1.8 Civic EX
Thats good service! Ordered yesterday at approx 7:30am. Delievred today at approx 8:45am, just over 24hours. Itching to use it now, it's just sitting on my desk here at work staring at me lol

Rav4
Ok been using my phone for over 24 hours.

My thoughts so far.

Shape/construction

Nice feel, good shape. Not slippery which is great and fits well into jeans.

Quality build is good, but not that of an iPhone.

Screen is excellent, not over saturated like the Samsungs (from my point of view).

Size is rather big, I will probably become used to it, but you really do need two hands to use it comfortably.

Battery

I turn off my wifi when not in the office (commute in and out of work is over 3 hours) made around 3 calls, 10 text messages, 18 whats app messages.

Didn't reply to any emails.

Have two email accounts sync'd, both synchronise every 15 minutes.

Nothing else running.

Battery duration from fully charged to 1% is 21 hours. I was hoping more. I think the reason for this is due to the screen.

Android

There are some great things, some are just cumbersome as I have mentioned before.

Getting more used to it, which is good but I still don't feel at ease as I do with iOS. That is probably me being used to it more than anything else, however I am a bit of a geek so always open to new things.

Performance

Now this is where it amazes me.

I use all kinds of devices which I am rather lucky for.

iPhone 5 with iOS6 I thought was bloody quick and nothing could match it.

Since iOS7 has been released, I have found the performance less satisfactory. Admitedly if you have an iPhone4, you will struggle which is what I have for work at the moment. (also use a 4s and a 5) on my iPad Mini, iOS7 is rather shocking.

I think this Android version is STUPIDLY quick. Much quicker than iOS6 (when I thought that was the quickest) going through menu's, even scrolling through the contacts I would always notice some kind of lag on an Android device, even the S4 has it (from my point of view)

The performance is superb and it runs really, really well.

Summary
Overall, I am really pleased. The only thing which is so far disappointing about the hardware I have noticed is the battery life. Had it had the increased capacity version, I would have been incredibly pleased.

When I bought a Galaxy Nexus S, I only managed to put up with it for just over 2 weeks, it cost a fair penny @ £549 when it came out for 16GB. This Nexus 5 is £299 (16GB) which really is a good price.

The only thing which I have not tried, that improves it's performance is the Note3, but that it's just massive to be used as a phone.

:)

LY 182
Yup battery life is pretty awful.

Fully charged last night. Watched 45 minute TV show on train then approx 30 mins of Spotify / tweeting and general browsing.

As I type this I'm at 41%.

Fortunately I'm never far from a charger!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Having had the use of one for a few days, I'm not feeling it. Battery life is astonishingly bad. My iPhone 5 (which has a brand new battery) out lasts it by several hours and I'm not constantly turning things off like I am with the nexus, Bluetooth, wifi and a reasonable screen brightness.

Kitkat is beautiful and surprisingly smooth, although it's not as responsive as ios.

Hangouts could potentially be awesome, but that weird SMS tagging is super clunky.

And I still don't like the way android handles notifications, I was hoping Kitkat would use some of the lockscreen things from the moto x but I think that's related to amoled, maybe the rumoured moto g will come to Europe.

I did my best to get on with it, but I simply prefer iOS. Didn't really like the feel of the device either, felt cheap in the hand and the camera was actually s**t. Even compared to my 5, which is ancient by comparison.

Rav4
Having had the use of one for a few days, I'm not feeling it. Battery life is astonishingly bad. My iPhone 5 (which has a brand new battery) out lasts it by several hours and I'm not constantly turning things off like I am with the nexus, Bluetooth, wifi and a reasonable screen brightness.

Kitkat is beautiful and surprisingly smooth, although it's not as responsive as ios.

Hangouts could potentially be awesome, but that weird SMS tagging is super clunky.

And I still don't like the way android handles notifications, I was hoping Kitkat would use some of the lockscreen things from the moto x but I think that's related to amoled, maybe the rumoured moto g will come to Europe.

I did my best to get on with it, but I simply prefer iOS. Didn't really like the feel of the device either, felt cheap in the hand and the camera was actually s**t. Even compared to my 5, which is ancient by comparison.

Can you provide examples of responsiveness?

I do agree with all your points unfortunately.

Are you going to take back the Nexus5 and continue with the iPhone5?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Can you provide examples of responsiveness?

I do agree with all your points unfortunately.

Are you going to take back the Nexus5 and continue with the iPhone5?

It seems like a latency issue, touch screen accuracy and response time is noticeably slower on the nexus 5 compared to my iPhone 5.

There's also still lag when scrolling

It's not mine anyway, it's a mate of mines review unit. He was just kind enough to lend it to me while he did another review.

The battery life is why I have the G2 - near enough the same device with a better battery and camera.

My G2 can last 2 days (where my old Nexus 4 would die just before bed time) I absolutely love this phone and is certainly the best phone out at the moment.

Rav4
It seems like a latency issue, touch screen accuracy and response time is noticeably slower on the nexus 5 compared to my iPhone 5.

There's also still lag when scrolling

It's not mine anyway, it's a mate of mines review unit. He was just kind enough to lend it to me while he did another review.

Tom, thanks for the reply.

Response time and scrolling lag is not something I have found and I am quite anal about this sort of stuff.

Touch screen accuracy, agreed. It's not as good as an iPhone/iOS but perfectly good and not as noticeable as previous versions.

Well, that's good that you did not have to shell out on the money.

Rav4
The battery life is why I have the G2 - near enough the same device with a better battery and camera.

My G2 can last 2 days (where my old Nexus 4 would die just before bed time) I absolutely love this phone and is certainly the best phone out at the moment.

The issue is, that if you are buying it off line as I do, the G2 is a lot more money.

Secondly, some mention on here was made about the bloated android version on the LG G2, are you finding that?

I don't understand, the capacity difference is 700mAH, yet you can get nearly double the usage.

If only the Nexus5 had the ability to replace the battery, some people would go for something like this if it was released for the Nexus > http://www.slashgear.com/mugen-powe...for-samsung-galaxy-s4-active-debuts-04304013/

Is the N5 battery any worse than the N4 or on a par?I find my N4 to be perfectly fine. Lasts me about a day and a half of use. But then again, I don't watch TV/play music/Instagram my life to drain it as quick as others do.

The issue is, that if you are buying it off line as I do, the G2 is a lot more money.

Secondly, some mention on here was made about the bloated android version on the LG G2, are you finding that?

I don't understand, the capacity difference is 700mAH, yet you can get nearly double the usage.

If only the Nexus5 had the ability to replace the battery, some people would go for something like this if it was released for the Nexus > http://www.slashgear.com/mugen-powe...for-samsung-galaxy-s4-active-debuts-04304013/

LG G2 £400 PAYG from 3. it's not that much more. I've got a debloated rom of the stock firmware so that's fine. You can also get Cyanogen mod to make it like a Nexus 5.....

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Fair play for having a go.

A couple of questions (these are serious, not trolling)

What is it that you don't like about the notifications? I prefer my lock screen not to be filled with lots of stuff like iOS does, I like the fact I can wake up my phone, glance at the toolbar and see exactly what notifications there are, unlock, pulldown and all notifications are there. Things like email etc on iOS I always had preview turned off because of privacy issues anyway.

I also use light flow, so I can tell what notifications I've got without having to turn the phone on, it might be old school but there's a lot to be said for an RGB led! I think Apple are missing a trick here. One thing Apple have got absolutely right is the physical mute switch, this should be on every f**king phone.

People who constantly turn stuff on and off are wasting their time, they will make zero difference to their battery runtime. WiFi and Bluetooth consume so little when idle that it's not worth turning them off, the biggest saving you could ever make is by turning down the screen brightness.

I've not got around to looking at the N5 yet, but to be honest, I'm not really fussed about upgrading because KitKat will be on my device shortly and there's not many other benefits to upgrading.

I think for this generation of phones the iPhone 5S will be king of the hardware, the touch unlock is a great feature, I'd be surprised if any of the future pretenders to the throne will be without a system that works like it (and isn't crap like previous efforts). I think the screen is the only bit that lets the hardware down...I think you know where I sit with iOS as well, so I won't bother repeating myself.

Fiesta ST-2
Tom, thanks for the reply.

Response time and scrolling lag is not something I have found and I am quite anal about this sort of stuff.

Touch screen accuracy, agreed. It's not as good as an iPhone/iOS but perfectly good and not as noticeable as previous versions.

Well, that's good that you did not have to shell out on the money.

Apparently the Iphone has poor touch screen accuracy - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...es-Apple-tests-reveal-inaccurate-75-time.html

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Fair play for having a go.

A couple of questions (these are serious, not trolling)

What is it that you don't like about the notifications? I prefer my lock screen not to be filled with lots of stuff like iOS does, I like the fact I can wake up my phone, glance at the toolbar and see exactly what notifications there are, unlock, pulldown and all notifications are there. Things like email etc on iOS I always had preview turned off because of privacy issues anyway.

Kinda answered your own question there. With iOS i don't need to do anything other than touch the power button to see whats going on.
You could argue theres two levels of notifications, lock screen and within the os the latter android does a bit better, its less invasive for sure. The former in my usage is non existent out of the box. Yes you can have a light, but id rather just see for myself.

And as for using a daily mail article as an argument/example, you already lose. If you dig deeper into that article you'll see that the iPhone does some weird voodoo s**t to filter out mistaken touch inputs. This could be perceived as inaccuracy in a test like that.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Kinda answered your own question there. With iOS i don't need to do anything other than touch the power button to see whats going on.
You could argue theres two levels of notifications, lock screen and within the os the latter android does a bit better, its less invasive for sure. The former in my usage is non existent out of the box. Yes you can have a light, but id rather just see for myself.

In my own particular use there's no difference as I would specifically turn off "content" from showing on notifications as I don't want random people/friends picking up my phone and seeing a preview of a message or email! In my use I click power and see immediately what apps have caused notifications at the top of the phone. Out of the box android shows the toolbar at the top with notifications on the lock screen, just not content.

And as for using a daily mail article as an argument/example, you already lose. If you dig deeper into that article you'll see that the iPhone does some weird voodoo s**t to filter out mistaken touch inputs. This could be perceived as inaccuracy in a test like that.

eh?

Edit:

Oh I see. That was directed at somebody else!

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Where's the bit about the voodoo s**t? I've had a scan through all I can see and have missed any mention of iOS correcting/filtering mistaken touch inputs automatically.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
2007?

The test was on 2013 model 5S/5C. How can an article from 2007 be relevant?

Also, from your second link;

I haven’t been able to find official documentation on this, but I think this behavior is intentional compensation being done by Apple.

So that's purely speculation then.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I suppose its no more speculation that the original test.

My apologies for taking this off topic. I was doing my best to be objective.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
In my own particular use there's no difference as I would specifically turn off "content" from showing on notifications as I don't want random people/friends picking up my phone and seeing a preview of a message or email! In my use I click power and see immediately what apps have caused notifications at the top of the phone. Out of the box android shows the toolbar at the top with notifications on the lock screen, just not content.

My point was that toolbar isn't enough information (for me), i don't care about security either rarely leave my phone unattended.

The use cases for these things are so specific its no wonder you get arguments.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
My point was that toolbar isn't enough information (for me), i don't care about security either rarely leave my phone unattended.

The use cases for these things are so specific its no wonder you get arguments.

Indeed.

Tom-ar-toes.
Toe-may-toes.

Rav4
Google Now is an interesting feature.

Set it up as public transport from work to home, however, it's thinking I have a car and want to drive through London.

USB charging is rather slow if done through the computer, or maybe iPhone's are really quick.

Growing to like the phone, I can see some of the advantages.

Shame USB mass storage isn't an option, however I presume a third party app enables this.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
USB charging is rather slow if done through the computer, or maybe iPhone's are really quick.

USB 2 is limited to 100mA before enumeration and 500mA after enumeration, there's also all sorts of caveats on multiple devices on the same hub sharing total power output.

Basically it'll always be s**te.

Growing to like the phone, I can see some of the advantages.

Good good.

Shame USB mass storage isn't an option, however I presume a third party app enables this.

Phone is running Linux and the OS is not stored on a FAT partition, therefore mass storage wouldn't work.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Mines just been delivered, just working my way through getting it setup how I want it.

First impressions are good though, and it makes the HTC desire HD I've cme from feel like a brick!

Rav4
Phone is running Linux and the OS is not stored on a FAT partition, therefore mass storage wouldn't work.

Not correct. It's a feature which Nexus turns off.

Normally the phones with space for SD features have this functionality turned on.