ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got a Pro-Speed Exhaust

Popped down to Cardiff on Saturday to visit Pro-Speed and get a new exhaust after my back box dropped off my Mark 1 172 a few weeks back.

Thanks to everybody on this board whos recommended Pro-Speed in the past, and to Charlie and his guys who fixed me up a top notch cat back system in a couple of hours and all for under £300. :) Only wished Id taken my camera so that I could have posted pictures of the car up on the jacks showing off the new system.

I went for a stealth system, trying to keep as close to stock as possible, and since Im not into big noise, I went for the biggest silencer. As expected the exhaust generates a little more volume than before but most importantly still enables a comfortable motorway cruise without any background drone. If I had wanted it louder though or had wanted cutouts in the bumper and a smart set of tailpipes, Charlie would have happily done it. If youre looking for a replacement stainless steel system built to your specification my advice is to give Charlie a ring.

Interestingly the other two bookings at Pro-Speed on Saturday were for two Mark II 172s (believed they travelled down from London) both of which were having performance cat systems fitted in addition to the cat back system. They were still being worked on when I left, so I didnt get to see of hear the result, but if the owners are on this forum, it would be good to hear what you think. Anybody else had a Pro-Speed exhaust fitted recently?

172 cup TT

nice one mate... im getting mine booked in as soon as i can but you say its "slightly louder" but what we talking here - considerably? slightly?... Did you ask for it to be as quiet as they could possibly get it?... under hard acceleration is it still just slightly louder than standard?

Rob669, good to hear that you are happy with your exhaust too!

As for the volume level - it is only slightly more. Whereas I wouldnt normally be able to hear the standard exhaust on light throttle or providing some engine braking on slight downhills, I can now hear a burble that wasnt there before. On hard acceleration I cant really notice much difference from standard. I think my pipe is as quiet as Charlie produces. I know he offers three different sizes of silencers and I went for the biggest and quietest.

Its early days so it may get louder or quieter still - not sure which way stainless exhausts go after a few miles - but I suspect that in a few weeks my ears will become tuned to the new exhaust and I wont even notice it.

Ive heard that Prospeed have a good reputation and that they do a stealth system - its even better news that I live in Cardiff

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

How did you know which silencer to choose. Could you hear examples before you decided?

Racing Blue 182

that was me and my mate with our cups on saturday. had a stealth system also with a sports cat and it sounds the tits. charlie and his team are top blokes.

I take it that was your silver 172

I have exactly the same system on my 172 mk1. Had it about a month now. Slightly beefier tickover. Quiet when cruising around 4k rpm. Makes a nice fruity noise above 4.5k rpm but not too loud.

I think it is noticably louder than a standard system in good condition. You just dont tend to notice the db level of the standard exhaust creep up as it deteriorates before falling off ;)

Its perfect as far as I am concerned. Nice and subtle but when you give it some stick, it sounds sweet. Makes some nice noises on the overrun as well.

Good to hear from everybody - as to some specific points....

The Bear - I just knew that I wanted quiet so went for the biggest silencer. I dont know if there would have been the opportunity to try different silencers. I assume not, but I disappeared off into town with the girlfriend to do some shopping zzzzzzzzzz, so I wasnt there when the fabrication was being done.

Willis - yep that was my silver mk 1. Saw your cars parked outside just sorry I didnt get chance to catch up with you. Sounds like you are happy with your system. Im assuming you went for a smaller silencer than I did. I think if I had gone for a decat I would have wanted more noise just to let others know that the car was something special over and above standard.

Darren555 - nice to hear that you have the same setup as me and one of my thoughts was whether or not the OEM exhaust had got louder as it deteriorated. Im beginning to think that was the case. Havent done many miles in mine since I came back from Cardiff but took it out last night and as you say, I think it is ideal for me. Doesnt intrude too much on a motorway cruise but throws out the fruity tone when you want it under acceleration.

CJ

Blue ph1 172

Had a decat with mine and charlie fitted a resonance box or something so not too loud at all when cruising but when you boot it it sounds lovely.:D