ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got pic problems with new LCD TV

Skoda Fabia vRS
im new to TV stuff, we havent had a new TV for years

got a Panasonic LCD TV today, 32"

im gettin like noise/artifacts around things, and the pic quality is better when cable is viewed coming through the DVD recorder/HDD we have

ive been on AV Forums and they have suggested messing with the settings which i have done and it is a lot better than when it was on factory settings, but considering our old TV was about 15 years old, the picture quality did seem better than this

at the moment its kinda like a jpeg image, with little bits around the edges on things like people and writing

someone has suggested connecting the cable box to the TV using composite and not scart but im not sure if i can do that from our telewest box

got JVC scart leads, 2 of which are flat and gold plated

Skoda Fabia vRS
do you get this with Plasma aswell ?............ive been told its because the TV is so much better than a CRT it shows up any bad parts of the image whereas the CRT wouldnt because its not as good

this tv is £1000 in Argos, though we paid £600, if this is the kind of TV you get for £1k then why do people bother, for that kind of money everything should be perfect

Skoda Fabia vRS
much or not at all ?

my family on my dads side are pro photographers so i have got a bit of an eye for image quality and i tend to spot anything that isnt right

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
remember the tvs are designed for HD material, not ancient standard definition. Have u got a 360 or an HD source u can connect to the TV?

much or not at all ?

my family on my dads side are pro photographers so i have got a bit of an eye for image quality and i tend to spot anything that isnt right

Not at all.. certainly not enough to notice it.. and certainly not enough to complain about it.
The only time I have had them on here, is when Sky was in 4:3 mode, and not 16:9 - when it was sending 4:3, it looked SHOCKING.. is awesome now in 16:9.
This is ALL via Sky+ (none-HD) - dunno what Freeview/Analogue TV looks like, never plugged in a normal aerial.

Skoda Fabia vRS
not at the moment no but im trying to get my dad to get HD cable

and the reason we bought it was because we wanted a new bigger tv, and the old one wouldnt let you switch between AV's when the new dvd recorder we bought was turned on which meant we could only watch what we were recording

i think i have got the cable aspect ratio set to 'widescreen', will have to check

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
being sat 3 ft from a 32 inch tv running normal SD will not be as good as your CRT. sorry

Mégane RS
its prob your signal not being digital, you could try better cables and filters etc, monster do some very good stuff, i get 50% off :rasp:

Monaco 172
i was disapointed with mine(as its not getting a HD signal)), but i do know its because the resoloution being higher on it than it ever was on a normal tv, it will show up a bit more "blocky" or "pixelated" as the signal its receiving. if you get me. i plugged a 360 into it though, and shat my pants at how clear it was! have yet to experience sky HD or a HD-DVD player on it

Cable, sky or terrestrial, Digital 'TV' is pretty much a step back in picture quality. Its not the image quality in general, its moving or high detail objects are killed by the the bit rate.

Everyone would expect digital to mean higher quality, it just means more channles in the same bandwidth (more advertising revenue and TV shopping channels) and a poor picture due to compression artifacts.

Plug in a console or good DVD and your jaw should drop !

Skoda Fabia vRS
yup we have moved the TV back a bit now, and the chair further away from it, and it does look a lot better and being bigger than our last TV you can see everything very easily

i might ring telewest/virgin though and tell them their supply is crap

500bhp Scoob
cable tv (telewest/ntl) will always show artifacts... i get it on my crt tv quite a bit... its them compressing the video stream too much.

Looks evil in a high action scene, starts pixelating (not a box fault)

You'll notice it alot less on BBC1 than to something like UK Gold...
Bitrates for BBC1 seems to sit at around 5-7mbits, whilst UK Gold barely see's even 3mbits.

SLK 350
Play with the sharpness in the options menu, I find on LCD when watching non-HD you're best to have it about 50%, this provides enough moire to get rid of the jaggies.

Does it look nasty watching a DVD? It should look a fair bit better than normal TV, try a DVD like Ice Age, good benchmark for colour and sharpness, use that to set the TV up, then you should see better results.

Like Clart said, try and get your hands on a 360 and run some HD through it. Or download some HDTV video off the net, and play it through your PC to the TV.

A4 Avant
As Mole said, my Plasma looks great with the sky premium channels. Things like E4 and UK Gold can look atrocious. It's down to the bitrate of various channels.

If you plug a DVD player in via Component/VGA/HDMI and it still looks poor even with SD source then there could be something wrong with your LCD.

Also make sure your sat at least 6ft from the screen.