ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

greasy wheel

clio 172 cup
driveshaft gator

Washed my cup today and noticed grease on the inside of my alloy.upon further inspection confirmed its from my driveshaft gator(drivers side)i know the parts cheap.Is it easy to change,any special tools needed,is this a common problem as my cups only done 17000 miles.Thanks.

Last edited:
  Lots of Alfas
The gaitor kit is about £10 from renault (consists of gaitor, 2 clip and grease). Its more likely to be a loose clip as the Renault ones are crap, if your lucky and it is the clip then you just need to buy a metal zip tie or plastic one may do. Otherwise its quite hard taking the driveshaft out to replace the whole gaitor.

clio rsi turbo, phase 2
if its just the clip come off, you can sort it leaving the drive shaft on. re-pack the gaitor with grease and fix a new clip on, then clean everything up thats been getting covered in grease.

Washed my cup today and noticed grease on the inside of my alloy.upon further inspection confirmed its from my driveshaft gator(drivers side)i know the parts cheap.Is it easy to change,any special tools needed,is this a common problem as my cups only done 17000 miles.Thanks.
Its a pain to change the gaiter. If the gaiter is damaged and your selling up superglue can fix and get the stuff injected in. Otherwsie a new driveshafts so much easier to do.

£20 for a new gaiter with grease and clips.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
i use stretch boots (gaiters) these days. much easier, cut of the old one and fit the new one with a cone type thing or air expander and plenty of grease, the cheapo cone type fitters are only about a tennner

clio 172 cup
thanks all for advice.it was the clip.had to fit a new one so i removed the driveshaft which was really easy,repacked joint with grease and put the new clip on.Refitted driveshaft and job done in under 1 hour.:D
whole job cost 6 quid.