ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grinding from rear under braking?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Just been out for a spin and noticed theres a grinding kind of noise coming from the rear of the car....

Pads were changed 2 months ago, and had no problems before that I have noticed. The discs seem in 'decent' condition however I was going to change them in around 6 months time....

Any ideas?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Surface rust on the discs?

My old 172 was bloody terrible for it.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Nah was doing it for over an hour of driving, and did 4/5 heavy braking from 60-20ish thinking it was that.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Def not that then.

I'm out of ideas then. Have you checked the discs? Made sure they're not scored from any bits of s**t stuck in between the disc and pad?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Pads were changed 2 months ago, as per original post.

Clio 182
Pads were changed 2 months ago, as per original post.

Ideally would have changed the discs when changing the pads and vice versa but each to their own i guess...........
Only other suggestion is whats been said before and change the discs!!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Why change the discs with the pads? Especially when the discs aren't worn down enough (in my opinion) to warrant changing?

^ that comes across as me being arsey, not meant to but not sure how to word it otherwise!

Clio 182
Why change the discs with the pads? Especially when the discs aren't worn down enough (in my opinion) to warrant changing?

^ that comes across as me being arsey, not meant to but not sure how to word it otherwise!

Lol nee worries............
Theres obviously a problem there tho and if its not the pads it must be the discs...

Failing that could a wheel bearing on its way out make a grinding noise?

1 Series Coupe
I had this but on the front. Turned out the pads needed changing, but obviously this isn't the problem in your case.

I was also told it could of been a bent disc?

Evo 6, E92 320d
I had a very similar occurence, turned out to be a large stone wedged between the wheel and rear frame, have a good check to see if anything is there.

Megane dci 130
Worn out pads is a possibility, dont rule them out because they were changed recently.

Were they fitted correctly?
Were they non genuine?

That would be my first surgestion.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Correctly fitted yes, did them myself, they are from GSF but the premium ones. I will be upgrading them at some point too though.

Worn out on the rear after about 2k use? That couldnt be right surely?

Thanks for the help, I'll have a proper look on Friday if the noise is still there, failing that it goes to Birchdown a week on Friday so I'll see if they can have a look.

b/g 182, meg tourer
is it a grinding noise or a loud vibrating noise?
mine were vibrating then a crack formed. i think it was the pad biting on the disc slightly (getting it hot) then with breaking it would make the noise because it was getting too hot.
could it be that?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not noticed it today, I'm guessing it was something stuck, but I'll check them all over Friday or at the weekend.

Luke, a crack in the std discs?

b/g 182, meg tourer
yep, standard disc. 3 years and 9 months old
when i took it off there were actually 3 cracks and heat marks. the cracks were not visible until 3 weeks into the noise happening under breaking. it even passed an mot just under 3 weeks into the noise. the crack appeared 2 days after mot! lol

DSC01140.gif

172 mk2 Iceberg
Just a hard bit in one of the new pads ?

Had this in a works van for a while and it just went after a few days

They have some metal or some thing in them now to make them last longer as no aspestos

b/g 182, meg tourer
Just a hard bit in one of the new pads ?

Had this in a works van for a while and it just went after a few days

They have some metal or some thing in them now to make them last longer as no aspestos

nice and gentle on the discs with metal in the pads then :S

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Still happening, I took the rears apart, pads out and cleaned, discs checked, i took the surface rust off the edges, then with a file just knocked the sharp off the lips.

The lips were pretty small though, and the discs looked in decent condition :S

In reverse when braking it sounded a bit like the suspension was creaking slightly, so thats my next point of call as it's too dark to work now, get that off and make sure evrything is seated right.

Doing my head in though!

CLIO
Correctly fitted yes, did them myself, they are from GSF but the premium ones. I will be upgrading them at some point too though.

Worn out on the rear after about 2k use? That couldnt be right surely?

Thanks for the help, I'll have a proper look on Friday if the noise is still there, failing that it goes to Birchdown a week on Friday so I'll see if they can have a look.

my rear pads broke up with less than 2k on them buddy, that was from my car being new, they wouldnt change under warrenty as they said it came under wear and tear

cheers james

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ thanks mate.
They all seem fine condition wise but I'll admit I'm not too clued up on how they look.

I'll be replacing the rear discs at it's service in April next year, so I think I'll get some uprated rear pads aswell, if these ones arent screwed already.

ITB'd MK1
probably a lip on the disc has worn away part of the new pads very quickly. Have you looked at the back of the disc as the front face can often look perfect but the back is totally screwed

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ yeah the back lip was bigger, but still not overly bad.
Got a local mechanic gonna come for a spin with me tomorrow I think to see if he can work it out. Failing that I'll get Birchdown to have a quick poke around on Friday if they have time.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Right, just been out again, but I'm completely confused.
Part of me thinks it might be a slightly loose exhaust just rattling slightly when I come to stop.

But, when reversing slowly, on either full lock left or right it does the noise too?!

gek

Clio 172 Cup
Is the rear exhaust mount knackered? Mine made noises especially at slow speed.

EDIT: forget that, it's a 182 lol

Last edited:
  Clio 182 FF Cup
Turn the engine off and roll down a hill, use the hand brake to stop, this will tell you if its brake/wheel related rather than engine. If its making the noise all the time I would put money on a wheel bearing.