ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gt2871r on a clio?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
As in the title, if I fitted a garret gt2871r to the clio is it going to be laggy? Just wondered why Nobody has fitted one, or is the gt2860rs just a better option, I'm after 300 ish

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
There pretty pants to be honest and I wouldn't waste your time, I used one for 600miles before I took it off and sold it.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
If you're after 300bhp use a gt28rs with .64 turbine housing!
Would be pointless to bolt on a more laggy gt2871r when you're not going to use it's full potential..

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
OK then the compressor wheel can flow considerably more air than the turbine wheel can cope with, I believe in the turbo world it's called a mismatch. As such when people choose them over something like a GT28RS they are normally left scratching their heads wondering why it isn't massively more powerful. Also the extra diameter over the 60mm compressor wheel makes it noticeably more laggier with a poor spool up.

Mental 172 Cup
I will be fitting one of these to my clio in the new year. Better turbo if used to its full potential..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
OK then the compressor wheel can flow considerably more air than the turbine wheel can cope with, I believe in the turbo world it's called a mismatch. As such when people choose them over something like a GT28RS they are normally left scratching their heads wondering why it isn't massively more powerful. Also the extra diameter over the 60mm compressor wheel makes it noticeably more laggier with a poor spool up.

A 3071 is a well balanced turbo IMHO and is what I would use generally on a 2.0, with a .82 housing.
Ive done engines at under 300bhp on that turbo and they have driven really nicely and not felt laggy, and also used them at over 400bhp.

Really versatile turbo.

172 turbo 'cup'
I'll be useing the gt2860R T Trophy recomended me to use, he has tried and tested a lot of different set up's on the clio as alot of people on here know.He has built better set up's than some of the trader's on here can do, I would tend to belive someone who has done it.Car'nt wait to see his next build it's going to be epic.

Cooksport Fleet
I'm using a 2871 on my meg. Full boost by about 3.5k runs 1.4 bar and still holds 1.3 at 7600rpm. With an internal Wastegate, need to change the actuator though.

Really drivable, pulls smoothly all the way though. I'm only at 380bhp for now...

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
A 3071 is a well balanced turbo IMHO and is what I would use generally on a 2.0, with a .82 housing.
Ive done engines at under 300bhp on that turbo and they have driven really nicely and not felt laggy, and also used them at over 400bhp.

Really versatile turbo.

Depends what size turbine wheel is fitted, the 60mm wheel has a much better flow capacity than the 56mm wheel. But my point is that the 71mm compressor paired with a 53mm turbine wheel found in the GT2871R is poor, yes it does work but no where near as effectively as the smaller compressor found in the GT28RS which shares the same turbine wheel.

I'm using a 2871 on my meg. Full boost by about 3.5k runs 1.4 bar and still holds 1.3 at 7600rpm. With an internal Wastegate, need to change the actuator though.

Really drivable, pulls smoothly all the way though. I'm only at 380bhp for now...

Glad your happy mate, but your not gonna get anymore power out of your current set up. The reason your boost is dropping from 1.4 to 1.3 is because you've reached the maximum flow capacity of your turbine wheel. You can up the boost as much as you want but all that will happen is it'll peak at whatever you set it to then steadily drop off to 1.3 bar at the redline. No doubt you'll be advised to change the actuator for a stronger one, but I'd suggest saving both your cash and your time. If you want more than you have its time to step up to another turbo.

What is interesting is I made only 6bhp less than you @1.2bar which would indicate whatever set up you have isnt flowing quite as good as the engine dynamics logg turbo manifold and Ktec 2.5" turbo back setup that I used on mine.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR

Really versatile turbo.

30 yes but we are talking 28 with a smaller turbine

Cooksport Fleet
Pressure is only a bi-product in a restriction in flow.

If you were running the clio inlet and tb your inlet flow would be much better. What size boost pipes you running?

I do need a stronger actuator, I haven't been told this. My boost solenoid was at 99% and wouldn't make more boost.

I'm running a tubular exhaust mani.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Pressure is only a bi-product in a restriction in flow.

If you were running the clio inlet and tb your inlet flow would be much better. What size boost pipes you running?

I do need a stronger actuator, I haven't been told this. My boost solenoid was at 99% and wouldn't make more boost.

I'm running a tubular exhaust mani.

At a guess this is the turbo you have:
http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga.../turbogroup/performance_maps/743347-1comp.jpg
If so then you are towards the end of the map anyway and it will not make more power. In a perfect world it can flow about 40lb which is about 400hp. Taking into account the small T25 flange, turbine housing and other restrictions you are about max already.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
However I am upgrading to a larger turbo, GTX35 probably.

Good luck with that one Josh!

Mine is "interesting" with 485hp on the 30, a GTX35 will be totally pointless unless you want a drag car. I actually have one here but after seeing the 3071 perform it's not going to be fitted.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Fantastic turbos, but no advantage over the GT3071 until you get well past 400bhp IMHO, and its about 300 quid dearer.

Have to disagree there chip. I had a GT3076 on the megane before the GTX3071 and the GTX flows much more at 1 bar. I made 366 at 1 bar on the 3076 and 390 on the 3071

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have to disagree there chip. I had a GT3076 on the megane before the GTX3071 and the GTX flows much more at 1 bar. I made 366 at 1 bar on the 3076 and 390 on the 3071

1.1 bar on the non GTX would have done the same thing though no doubt.
These turbos are designed to handle big boost.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
My point is they flow much better at the same boost so they are a better turbo with much more scope.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My point is they flow much better at the same boost so they are a better turbo with much more scope.

I agree with all of that, but for sub 400 I still use the non GTX as there isnt any advantage at that level which justifies the cost difference.

The GTX though are amazing turbos and the way a GTX3071 spools so well despite it being capable of WELL over 500bhp is really epic :)

Will be the next turbo on my nova if I replace the GT35R with anything.

clio 172
to be honest if you want low 300-320 froma small displacement engine , i would highly recommend ihi vf22 , on 1.8t it reaches 1bar by 2900 rpm with a good tubular exhaust manifold and will achieve 310-330bhp at around 1.4-1.5bar of boost so on a 2.0 engine i would presume spool time would be even better , some will call it chocolate turbo but ran on my mk4 gold turbo for 2 years with no issues and mapped by jabbasport