ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT5

Visually GT is more impressive in terms of the lighting and car models but given 6 years in dev it should look better than Forza which was completed in 2 years and released. It's also worth pointing out only around 250 models (which are the ones PD have been whoring lately) are premium which means high detail built from scratch and have an interior. The rest are simply polished variations of the models from GT4 on the PS2! So while showing clips of the GTR in the pissing rain from the c**kpit on Eiger with the wipers on is all well and good it's not representative of the whole game.

I get the distinct impression Kaz has been far too ambitious with his vision given the platform he has to work on and number of dev's he has working for him. His vision of GT5 IMO requires the next playstation along with him hiring about 3 times the staff he has to turn the thing around in an acceptable time frame.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Tbf they're onto a winner. Sell a s**t load of ps3's of the back of a fictional game. Then no doubt outsell the nearest competitor by a boat load when it eventually appears.

Because people are idiots rather than based on quality. It's s pity things are looking so bad at present as I (no doubt along with Christopher, full size Chris etc) have fond memories of the PS1 and PS2 GT titles. Plenty of enjoyable hours were wasted on all of them. Right up until GT5p where it all went wrong. Kaz is riding on the legacy of the previous GT's and while he might get away with it once if the game is a stinker I suspect all be the complete fanboys will avoid pre ordering GT6.

PMSL at GT6. We'll be using Matrix style simulations by then.

Why didn't they just release GT5 as a 'good' game years ago, and build on it with sequels, like every other software house in the world? You can't aim for perfection because there is no such thing in video games.

PMSL at GT6. We'll be using Matrix style simulations by then.

Why didn't they just release GT5 as a 'good' game years ago, and build on it with sequels, like every other software house in the world? You can't aim for perfection because there is no such thing in video games.
Its exactly what they should have done and released the rally/nascar/track editor as add-on packs. This is what people have been doing for years so I don't know why they didn't follow suit.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
LOL'd. You started well, but as this gent says....

Forza is in no way a simulator. But if you meant for consoles, then yeah, it's the best out there atm. But compared to Live For Speed / GTR2 / GP Legends. It's not that great.

And I also have the hump with this game. Only reason I got my PS3 and it's beginning to sound worse and worse. The time delays take the piss!

I didn't say it was, but its the best console driving game, by a mile.

SG9 Forester STi
Is this ever going to happen. Annoyed waiting for it now :(

At least I have the new fallout to look forward to!

Octy VRS
It's just a shame there isn't really another decent racing game for PS3. I may have to buy NFS Hot Pursuit in the meantime as it's looking promising.

Lee

BMW M2C
It's just a shame there isn't really another decent racing game for PS3. I may have to buy NFS Hot Pursuit in the meantime as it's looking promising.

I had a play of that a few weeks back. I'll be getting it.

Last edited:
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
LOL!!

257kbba.gif

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
As the drama surrounding the delay of the PlayStation 3’s flagship title spreads around the web, one very important question remains unanswered: why? An official explanation will most likely never be issued, but that won’t stop me from trying to figure out this puzzle. First up, Taku Imasaki (North American GT5 producer) offers a vague look at what’s been happening on the “inside” via an interview with the New York Times:

“We’re really close, but this was an executive decision that was made yesterday. Realistically, we thought we had a good date. We’re not happy over here.”

This somewhat confusing statement wasn’t lost on the Times editor, who didn’t hesitate to add “there was also speculation that Sony might not have sufficient supplies of the game to meet demand in November”. This speculation was later supported by a comment from a Sony Canada spokesperson to Reuters Canada, clearly stating that “production difficulties were to blame for the delay”.
I have also been privately informed that review copies of GT5 were only briefly postponed and should still be in reviewer’s hands within the next few weeks. Better yet, I can report Sony is targeting a new release window within approximately 8-12 days after November 26th (“Black Friday” in the United States).
Keeping in mind that Sony presses their own Blu-Ray discs, and production time at each facility is carefully divided and scheduled between all of the company’s movies and games for the holiday season, I find the following theory most likely: 1.) Polyphony Digital narrowly missed its Blu-Ray production window, 2.) to prevent serious disruption of many other products, Sony must move forward with its schedule, 3.) an “executive decision” must be quickly made to find another production slot for GT5, 4.) the game’s producers are “not happy” with the inflexibility of the decision as it forces a launch delay, 5.) both Polyphony Digital and Sony can actually claim responsibility for the problem, and finally, 6.) Yamauchi personally apologizes to fans via Twitter

“Apologies for the delay. It’s because time and labor were spent ironing the kinks out of a complex system. I’m really sorry. Everyone, it’s inexcusable… Wait a little longer.”

Regardless of what really happened, this Christmas, when you’re blasting down La Sarthe’s Mulsanne straight, in the rain, at dusk, this week’s events will probably be the last thing on your mind.

Meh.

DCi
LOL'd. You started well, but as this gent says....

Forza is in no way a simulator. But if you meant for consoles, then yeah, it's the best out there atm. But compared to Live For Speed / GTR2 / GP Legends. It's not that great.

And I also have the hump with this game. Only reason I got my PS3 and it's beginning to sound worse and worse. The time delays take the piss!
Mmmm I'd forgotten GP Legends. Now there's a real sim :approve:

You can always find another theory, this time about the recently released 'jailbrake' for the PS3. Which i do actually find quite plausible:

An insider close to Sony is chalking up the recent delay of Gran Turismo 5 to the recent PS3 hack that has made waves over the last few months, pinning blame on a last-minute SDK switchover. This comes following yesterday’s revelation that GT5 would miss its November 2 release.

A source on the Blu-ray.com forums suggests that looming fears over piracy prompted the setback. Shortly after PSJailbreak and its variants made the rounds, SCE issued a mandate requesting that titles with a post-October release date must be compiled with 3.50 SDK libraries. Here’s the post in full, which has since been removed for reasons unknown:

"Like I said it is manufacturing issues. I had it confirmed today.

The problem arose when SCE mandated SDK 350 on all games releasing after after October, GT5 was about to go gold running on SDK 341, but it has been delayed by around a week so that they can update to SDK 350. This has caused a big headache for the manufacturing side, given how big this game is missing the gold date by even a week can cause a months worth of delay as slots are already taken up at this time of year for Blu-ray movies and such. So Sony had to find a 3 week slot big enough to make 7m+ copies of this and get them shipped out."

If you want to blame anyone, I would direct it at the pirates and hackers, SCE never had any real SDK restrictions before firmware 3.41 was compromised.

Certainly sounds plausible. While a switchover to the new SDK is hardly a big deal, you have to factor in QA testing, which can easily take an upwards of a few days to complete, depending how extensive. That, factored in with setting a revised manufacturing date, can easily lead to a delay of this nature.

Fans can rest assured, however, that GT5 will make 2010. While Sony has not yet pinned down a firm date, it’s still on for a “holiday release.”

Basically, all games that only need 3.41firmware on the PS3 can be pirated, newer games requiring the newer firmware update have yet to be cracked etc..

Lee

BMW M2C
So £7m (copies) x £40 = £280m

That should pay for the first 6 months of development then...

A tiny amount of that makes it to the developer. The retailer gets the largest cut, and I'm sure they'll be required to pay out quite a lot for licences too.

From all the talk of why it's been delayed again, I'd say the most likely failed submission and they've having to re submit. Time wise that would account for a re sub to test it with the updated firmware. Either way it sounds like it's been submitted again, and that's the hold up.

Mito Sportiva 135
Speaking on Twitter, as translated by website Kotaku, Yamauchi said: 'Apologies for the delay. It's because time and labour were spent ironing the kinks out of [the game's] complex system. I'm really sorry. Everyone, it's inexcusable... Wait a little longer.'
Replying to a panicking fan worried that the game would be delayed into 2011 Yamuchi then added, 'I believe we won't keep you waiting until then.' Sony Europe has claimed the game will still be out before Christmas, although of course it's not really down to them.
Although pretty vague all the talk about 'ironing out kinks' seems to confirm our first assumption: that the game still has some major bugs and more time is needed to fix them.

However, the scuttlebutt around the Internet suggests that it may be something else. Allegedly the game is actually completely finished and was all set to be manufactured with version 3.41 of the PlayStation 3 firmware on the disc. At the last minute though Sony decided it had to be 3.50, to ensure greater protection against piracy.
The problem is it takes a long time to press so many Blu-ray discs, with most factories booked up for weeks in advance at this time of year - hence the delay. We've no idea if this rumour is true, but if it is Sony will probably do their best to ensure it's never confirmed anyway.
Either way Sony Europe has promised to 'confirm a new release date before the end of the month'. Whether they do and how reliable it'll prove is another thing entirely…

A tiny amount of that makes it to the developer. The retailer gets the largest cut, and I'm sure they'll be required to pay out quite a lot for licences too.

From all the talk of why it's been delayed again, I'd say the most likely failed submission and they've having to re submit. Time wise that would account for a re sub to test it with the updated firmware. Either way it sounds like it's been submitted again, and that's the hold up.

Yeah I was just being faciouis(sp) mate!

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Was in blockbuster earlier and they mentioned they had a email down from head office saying its been delayed untill after christmas, i wont be in a rush to buy it now, cba waiting any longer

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Pretty much an exact copy of the above 458, but this time in Enzo guise :

Last edited by a moderator:
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
red-bull-x1-prototype-front-640x689.jpg

red-bull-x1-prototype-side-640x168.jpg

red-bull-x1-prototype-rear-300x136.jpg

Gran Turismo 5’s Red Bull X1 Prototype Revealed (w/Specs!)

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s-red-bull-x1-prototype-revealed-wspecs/

* Engine: gas turbine, 1483bhp @ 15,000RPM, 527lb ft @ 12,000RPM
* Transmission: continuously variable, rear-wheel drive
* Top Speed: 249mph
* Weight: 545kg
* Length/Width/Height: 4750/2180/980mm
* Suzuka Lap Time: 1:11.540 (compare with Vettel’s 2009 F1 lap time of 1:30.833)
* Special Features: enclosed wheels, “fan element” to increase low and medium-speed downforce (much like a vacuum cleaner)

Last edited: