ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GTi6 vs 172

Clio 182
Had a blast in a Gti-6 last night and totally forgot how good of a car they are, awesome induction roar rather quick and still look fresh.

Any one gone from a 172 to a gti-6 or a gti-6 to 172 and which did you prefer

VaVa
If they still made the GTI-6 new when I bought my 172 I'd have bought the 306. No doubt. Nuch prefer the handling of the 306 and despite being a little heavier I doubt it's any slower than a 172 in reality. And they handle beautifully.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think there is a few people went gti-6 to 172 and loved the gti-6.
Brother in law still has one alonside his golf anniversary. He said he'll never part with the pug.

Lee

BMW M2C
I had a GTi-6 years ago, and have since owned a 172. In all honesty the 6 is still one of the greatest hot hatches I've ever owned. If it weren't for the age thing I would have got one instead of the 172, but I wanted a new car. I was forced to sell the 6 when I got a company car, by the time I was ready to buy my own car again the 6 was out of production. When I bought mine it was 9 months old.

As good as the Trophy was, I still have a soft spot for the 6. It could be rose tinted specs though, and the fact it was the car I'd always wanted to own when reading reviews of hot hatches but I really did love that car.

What a stunner: http://www.rapidpants.com/images/cars/Pug/index.htm

Mk1 Clio Rsi
my mates got the 306 Rallye which iirc is the same engine as the GTi-6, absolutely love it, he said he's never sell it!! fast little thing, never been in a 172 tho :(

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Alot of good reviews about them. But i think there seen as more of a Soft-core hot hatch!

I swear tney are quicker to 60 than this (from your site Lee)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0-100 km/h[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8.2 secs[/FONT]​

Dude I know had a yukky gold one when they first came out, he then had a red rallye. Nice cars, the rallye was sparse.

Lee

BMW M2C
Alot of good reviews about them. But i think there seen as more of a Soft-core hot hatch!

By who? They were seen as hardcore and the greatest of that era. Every review I read back then either had the GTi-6 or 106 GTi win. They were very stiff and had a nasty sting in the tail. Get the back end out and they often threw people into a tank slapper, spitting them out the other way.

I can't remember where I found those stats Craig, I think it was Parkers or something like that.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I really like them.

Does anyone else remember the magazine advert with the GTI 6 trailing the supercars with the caption ''slowest car in it's class'' ?

Lee

BMW M2C
Rear wheel steer weren't they?

Yeah passive RWS, used to corner like it was on rails.

I remember the ad Fletcher. It was in reference to the 6 speed box. Like I said, I seriously wanted one for years. I had to write off my Rover 200Vi before I got one. lol

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Seen it in a few mags. Doesn't shout as you much tho does it? The 306 would of been released around the time of the last williams and the start of the mk1 172. So...not being unfair the competition wasn't all that great for it!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Flol at the soft option. As a standard car, far better to drive than every clio i've had bar the trophy. I had a rallye, stunning. Although the trophy was overall better as a car, the rallye was more fun. No slower in a straight line either, far better driving position, far better sounding. Were it not for the age, i'd have one tomorrow. There's a corner i slid that car around every day i drove it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Pug tested them 2 up with a full tank when doing 0-60 etc. Kept them in a lower insurance group.

VaVa
I had a 306 HDi Dturbo.. same suspension setup as the GTi.... I wrote that off sliding it round a bend. Got exactly the tank slapper style thing Lee is describing. f**king loved that car. Wish I'd have bitten the bullet and bought the GTi because I was blown away after test driving one. But due to a driving ban and only being 20 insurance was ££££££ so group 5 Dturbo it was lol :(

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'll give you that on the competition Ali. The first one hit towards the end of the Williams and before the 172. It doesn't stop it being one of the true greats though.

Some reviews here: http://www.306gti6.com/downloads/downloads.php

LOL, laps faster than a CTR: http://www.306gti6.com/downloads/ccc/ccc.htm

I almost bought a CTR thinking it would be like the Pug, but the 172 had a character which was closest to the Pug in the end.

lol! People will always defend what they own! Thats only normal! If cars were that good you'd never sell! Regardless of age.

Example 1 - Mr 2live who came out his mothers bits shouting the words Williams!

;) no doubt a good car, just doesn't feel or look like a hot hatch. Bit like the Xzara VTS imo! (I'm going to run for cover now!!)

Lee

BMW M2C
I rarely bother defending what I own or have owned, but in the case of the 6, it's a legend.

At the time it was set apart from the rest of the range by the wheels, skirts and bumpers, but they were added to the rest of the range as they got ready to kill the 306. Even the badges were subtle, or often deleted when the cars were ordered.

Personally I thought it looked perfect, as did the 106 GTi. No need for an OTT body kit, the drive said it all. Kinda the reverse of a V really. ;)

Christ, if 2live came out screaming Williams what the f**k did Stromba do? Come out painted Blue and Gold? lol

Lee

BMW M2C
Even though my Cup is hardly luxury, the Rallye was just too low spec for me. Electric windows and a/c are a must. The rest I can live without.

Megane Trophy, Golf
I had a 306 GTI-6 in silver a few cars ago! awesome handling but not as quick as the cup. Much more comfy though ;)

BG182®
The Rallye was really basic but if I bought one for a weekend car it would still be the Rallye. There much faster then the book figures state. And the fact the GTi-6 looks quite standard make it more appealing to be a sleeper

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
My old 106 gti (i had two the same)
P4230030.jpg

My old 306 Rallye
DSC00615-1.jpg

Both truly epic cars, especially having raided the Bilstein & Pugsport Grp N parts catalogues. Easily as good as a 172/182 imho, both punish you with liftoff oversteer though ;) IMHO much more satisfying to throw down a back road/track than the clio, purely because it doesnt do it all for you, clio is a little too-polished by comparison.

172 Cup
Had a little blast with one of these a few weeks back on the north Circular, nothing in it at all. had a for sale sticker in the window, the guy wanted a quick sale for £1500, had 80k on the clock.i do have his number!!

Lovely car!

I had a V plate Xsara VTS back in 2006, which I ran alongside my 182 for a few months.

Was a lovely car, well specced and handled superbly, just missed the 6's six speed gearbox.

Lairy colour too:

xsaracar.jpg