ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guide: How to remedy the sticky interior trim, quick and cheap.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I've only had my 172 a few days, but the interior trim was really getting on my nerves. I've seen a few but mine was by far the worst I've came across.

After searching through the forums for an answer, everyone seemed to either be stripping them completely and respraying them or else replacing them with items from non-sport models.

With nothing to lose, I thought I'd experiment.

Before:

QU9kukY.jpg

YiZTQJd.jpg

The Process:

Remove the trim from the car and unclip the switches.

Then soak the trim in hot (not warm) soapy water.

hb1LVXp.jpg

The items used:

Elbow Grease is available for £1 in The Range and the scouring pads (Glitter optional) came from B&M or somewhere like that, I'll have to ask 'the boss'.

TvXT53X.jpg

Spray the degreaser on and let it dwell for a couple of minutes before scrubbing with the scourer. Once you start scrubbing, it goes a bit white and scary looking, don't worry and keep scrubbing, it all comes off.

I wasn't expecting to make a guide, so I didn't take pictures of the scrubbing process - I'm sure you can use your imagination. It was surprisingly easy, each piece only took 5-10 minutes to do. Some places were a little awkward to do but just keep scrubbing, rinse occasionally and wipe with a towel and you'll see the parts you have missed.

Dry them off (If you don't have any kitchen roll left, improvise, like so):

8yrWluo.jpg

And the dried item:

kMy1AGo.jpg

You can see on this one where I had to go over it again as it was still a bit white near the switches.

VInGcS0.jpg

I then gave them a coat of Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing. This isn't slippy/greasy like most tyre shines/cockpit shine sprays.

S8FSbjY.jpg

The results:

HO6pdb0.jpg

2j4mCLg.jpg

I1N70HV.jpg

5EIgrRA.jpg

Hopefully this helps someone out.

2003 Clio 172
Will be doing this with mine. Shame I can't do the centre dash console and clock surround so easily. Have to take the upper dash off for that ?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I'll be tackling those in a few days when I see how these hold up. I really want to do the radio and climate control but it would ruin them.

The passenger side needs done again as there's a few bits I've missed. You only really notice it when they're dry.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I've seen folk lacquering them when I was researching how to solve it. I done this a few weeks ago to all the plastics in the car (and the rear wiper surround) and i've just been giving them a wipe when cleaning the car and there's no marks/grime on them yet.

2005 CLIO 182
Isn't that mirror switch on upside down? ? Also, does anyone know where to get the screw caps from and also what size screws are meant to be used? Thank you!

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Using this method I’ve now done all the dash bits that went sticky. I dismantled the stereo & climate control units to make sure I didn’t get the electronic bits wet.

It’s mint now! Thanks op!

Btw I got ‘Elbow Grease’ for 95p, chortle ?!

2003 Clio 172
So I decided to do mine today, but the damn torx bolts holding them on decided to round off. Any ideas how I can get them out? I'm thinking drilling them out would be the only way. Sometimes I hate my car, nothing is ever straightforward ?

arChi69

ClioSport Club Member
Lol and i was wondering why the f... are my dash bits sticky. Will give be doing them this weekend.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Isn't that mirror switch on upside down? ? Also, does anyone know where to get the screw caps from and also what size screws are meant to be used? Thank you!

Lol, yeah. I've changed it since. Oddly, it works just the same upside down :/

Using this method I’ve now done all the dash bits that went sticky. I dismantled the stereo & climate control units to make sure I didn’t get the electronic bits wet.

It’s mint now! Thanks op!

Btw I got ‘Elbow Grease’ for 95p, chortle ?!

Did you have much issue dismantling the radio fascia and the climate control? I'd love to do mine. Any pics of the process?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Did you have much issue dismantling the radio fascia and the climate control? I'd love to do mine. Any pics of the process?

No issues, it was straight forward:

I pulled the stereo out by using thin Allen keys instead of a stereo removal tool (you obviously need to do this to get the fascia off, but also to access the 2 screws holding the climate panel in place).

Once removed you’ll see the stereo has a torx screw on each side holding clips in place, I removed these first, then popped off the upper and lower metal body covers, no screws to undo here. The fascia should then just unclip from the body of the stereo, but be careful because the clips are plastic, thin and brittle. Then undo 3 screws and a few more clips to remove the circuit board and buttons from the fascia.

The climate panel was easier, undo the two screws that fix it to the dash, they are located ‘under’ the stereo. The climate panel is all held together with clips, so take it apart like Lego, but try not to damage the clips of course.

All the buttons will drop out of the stereo and climate panel, so take a picture beforehand so you know where they belong!

Also, there are two small panels above and below the climate panel which need cleaning up too, take these off at the same time!

Honestly, if you have an ounce of common sense and just a few skills you should cope just fine.

Sorry, I didn’t take any pictures ☹️.

2003 Clio 172
Finally managed to do my door trim after using a bigger torx key to get the damn bolts out. Boring, and lots of scrubbing, but definitely worth it ? I found using an old plastic bank type card helped to scrape the nasty rubber coating off along with the scourer sponge and plenty of washing up liquid.
20180808_090948.jpg
20180808_115555.jpg
20180808_115607.jpg

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
  Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
No issues, it was straight forward:

I pulled the stereo out by using thin Allen keys instead of a stereo removal tool (you obviously need to do this to get the fascia off, but also to access the 2 screws holding the climate panel in place).

Once removed you’ll see the stereo has a torx screw on each side holding clips in place, I removed these first, then popped off the upper and lower metal body covers, no screws to undo here. The fascia should then just unclip from the body of the stereo, but be careful because the clips are plastic, thin and brittle. Then undo 3 screws and a few more clips to remove the circuit board and buttons from the fascia.

The climate panel was easier, undo the two screws that fix it to the dash, they are located ‘under’ the stereo. The climate panel is all held together with clips, so take it apart like Lego, but try not to damage the clips of course.

All the buttons will drop out of the stereo and climate panel, so take a picture beforehand so you know where they belong!

Also, there are two small panels above and below the climate panel which need cleaning up too, take these off at the same time!

Honestly, if you have an ounce of common sense and just a few skills you should cope just fine.

Sorry, I didn’t take any pictures ☹️.

Great job man, I'll give that a go tonight if the weather stays good. Cheers for the writeup.

Inferno 182
Anyone tried Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover and a clean rag? Worked when I had some decal residue on my motorbike. Going to try it anyway. ?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I tried a tar remover that’s supposed to be a chemically stronger concentrate of tar remover compared to autoglym on my rear wiper plastic and it started to go funny again within a week or two.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I’ll grab a pic when I’m home. It went whiter than it was before I started scrubbing it.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
The products I use on my car are all Anachem Automotive stuff. It’s a local company and developed along side one of the best detailers in the country. It’s great stuff and cheap compared to other brands.

https://anachem-automotive.com/

Their ‘purge’ wheel cleaner is the best I’ve used. My wheels were like new after. And the hybrid quick detailer smells like coolwater lol

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
They probably don't tbh, I just found that it gave a deeper colour and probably offers some sort or protection. Plus I had the bottle sitting with-in arms reach.

I made this guide up off the top of my head, just tried some s**t and it worked. There's no science to it lol.