ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guide with pics- Aux belt kit replacement

MK2 PH2 02`
So...
Bit of car history, it's a 172 ph2 with a 88k miles. His name is Tony [emoji6].

Bit of car history, it's a 172 ph2 with a 88k miles. His name is Tony.
When i bought it i had a bad water hoses (little cracks) and the previous owner put distilled water and that caused the thermostat hosing nipple to break. So i replaced thermostat housing but didnt replaced the thermostat gasket with the new one. Anyway eventually there was a small leak there and the o-ring needed replace.
Thats a bit of history of the coolant system in a brief.
One day i found out I'm loosing coolant. Quick check shows that the leak is from water pump area.
I decided to replace only the pump now and in several months I'm going to do valve stem seals and timing job and will replace aux belt and tensioner. (The plan, as you will see now, cahnaged)

I bought these parts:
1. Water pump (with gasket )
2. Thermostat housing gasket
3. Thermostat gasket
4. 3X water pump pulley bolts
5. Renault coolant

* also bought aux belt kit for the future timing job.
View attachment 119839

So i planed to release the aux belt, remove pump, install new pump and aux belt and close it all.
Renault just love to make life complicated so it didn't went that well as planed.

Started the job, Tried the jubilee clip method (to release tension) but it didn't effected the spring at all. Wired.

So i looked at Renault manual and they request to use tool which I didn't had so i used something that fitted correct. Pushed for release the tension. No go. Push with lever. No go.Push again with lever and one more friend. Tensioner socket broke.
Removed the the tensioner and compared it to new only to find out that the bearing inside the tensioner was stuck from rust.( genuine oem btw). Thats why it needed so much pressure ...

So i finished replacing aux belt kit, thermostat seal and thermostat housing gasket.

Thats the procedure for the job i did( replace water pump and aux belt kit)
1. Remove all underlying covers.
2. Put a wood under sump and support engine with a jack.
3. Remove top engine mount.
4. Unbolt dogbone front bolt and release rod between gear and dogbone mount. (Helps when need to move the engine when removing water pump pulley from engine bay).
You don't have to remove the all mount. You remove just the front bolt, and loosen the other make the mount move freely.
5. Release subframe bolts and lower subframe in 1-3cm.(Again, helps when need to lower the engine when removing water pump pulley and when refitting water pump).
6. Release water pump pulley bolts(3 bolts) in order to do so i rotated the main pulley(using a ratchet to get to the all 3 bolts.
7. Try to use a jubilee or the specific tool to release tension of aux belt.
8. 1 Remove bolts of water pump pulley and remove the pulley. You will need to lower the engine in order to extract the pulley from engine bay.
8.2 open (with super carful) the bolts of the pump ( there is one more on the timing cover- don't forget it).
Now the extra space from lowering the subframe became handy.
9. If replacing aux belt this is the time to remove it.
10. Clean the remaining gasket left on engine block. ( i used a scotch and brake cleaner and then with sharp knife with carful i removed the old gasket).
11. Put in the new pump and gasket and one bolt to align the gasket bolt holes.
12. Screw in all water pump bolts by hand and only then tighten it with a ratchet.
13. Put the water pump pulley on the pump and screw in bolts by hand (you cant torque the bolts until you tension the aux belt) (i bought 3 new bolts)
14. Place aux belt all over the accessories pulleys. In order to do so i recommend to remove the tensioner, use a jubilee when it off the car, place the belt around the pulleys, put in the tensioner and screw in its bolts and then open the jubilee until the belt is nice and tensioned. (Before releasing the tensioner check the belts seats at the right position over pulleys and look under the car also validate that the belt is seats correct over the air con pulley.
15. Tight the water pump pulley bolts (17nm).
16. Close subframe bolts, dogbone bolts(62nm), upper engine mount (62nm). Put back in any cooling system hose you have opened.
17. Fill up coolant system
18. Check for any leaks around the pump and the entire system.
19. Use Renault manaul how to fill up and bleed the coolant system. Anyway you need to fill up system while bleed screw is open and wait until coolant pouring out from bleed hole. Then close the screw top coolant on reservoir., start engine for 4 minutes (at 2500 rpm) while coolant reservoir cap is open and when the coolant level lowers add some more coolant. Shut the engine off. Then check for leaks again. Then start again the engine for 20 minutes and let the radiator fan to start.wait for the fan to stop. after a few minutes it supposed to stop. Wait a while (30 minutes +-)so coolant get cooler so you can touch the coolant hose. open bleed screw and let any air out- the air is out when stream is continuous. Close screw when the stream is steady with no bubbles. Add coolant to max and check for any leaks again. ( i used an obd when start the engine to be sure it wont exceed the 100 degrees C..- used an iphone and DashCmd)

*Before moving to next step, make sure your car is all closed up, no screws left open or left on the ground. Make sure everything is tight. Visually inspect every thing you have opened during process to be closed.

16. Go for a test drive slowly with minimal load. During the test drive check for any unusual noises or high temps.
After a short ride, check for leaks while engine is running.

Thats it. You done.
If you done everything correctly you will have a clio with no leaks and to strange noises.

17. After a few working-cooling down cycles check again coolant level. There is a chance the coolant level will drop a bit. Fill up to max and then it supposed to stay there.

Thats was the description to that kind of work.
Please be carful when you do it yourself, the responsibility is on you only. Use a Renault service manual and correct torque values on any bolt. I write it here so you all can learn and know as much as i learn from you guys.

I have took some pictures and i hope you will find it helpful in the future. If you going to do so, have fun:)

Here is the jubilee pic View attachment 119833View attachment 119834

It released the tension a bit so i removed the belt, the pulley and the water pumpView attachment 119835

These are before and after photos: new vs old water pump( the leak was from the water pump was from gasket- the pump is appear ok)

Replaced the thermostat gasket and the thermostat housing gasket :
View attachment 119838

View attachment 119864

MK2 PH2 02`
I see the pics did not uploaded.
Here they are:
The leak
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426176984.225147.jpg

First try with jubilee, didnt went well due to rust.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177010.704544.jpg

The thermostat gasket
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177026.691245.jpg

The water pump place on the engine block
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177052.193931.jpg

Water pump: old vs. new
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177073.079202.jpg

The new OEM parts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177099.898694.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177262.656785.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177312.711589.jpg

The jubilee clip on new tensioner when fitting the part:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177340.083724.jpg

Aux belt. Old vs. new
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426177369.736198.jpg

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
was looking forward to seeing this thread, then none of the photos worked :(

fail...

dan's cast offs.
i never bother trying to get tension off the old belt, just slice it with a stanley knife.

Volvo S60 T5
I use this most of the time, no need to piss about with tensioner.
It's designed for stretch fit belts so they don't get damaged while fitting. Tried it on a clio and it works a treat with no damage to belt.

Snap on tools
SBT2KT

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Cheers for that Mike, I'm going to add that to my order later today!