ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had car on the dyno and highlighted a problem - Need some help

Westfield
Right,

My 182 has panel filter, full decat back KTR exhaust, and JMS remap.

It pulls very nicely at low revs and feels smooth right through the gears,

I had it on the rollers recently and it is not making as much power at the top end as i was hoping.

The guy testing it said it was very inconsistent at the top end around 6-6500rpm and that a sensor might be the cause of this,

does anyone know what sensor could be causing it to lose power at the top end?

It is due its 24k service this month so i will be taking it in and ideally want to have an idea what sensor it could be so i can get them to check it out then.

Thanks for any help, the RR graph is below

View attachment 50997

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I had it on the rollers recently and it is not making as much power at the top end as i was hoping.

does anyone know what sensor could be causing it to lose power at the top end?

Well done for posting a graph ! Looks pretty fine to me... apart from lack of visible X-axis data ;)

Your problem is that Renault lie.

:dapprove:

Westfield
Yea sorry about the missing axis data, only picture i had at work.

There seems to be somthing wrong though as in the first couple of runs it hit 169, then 172, then 168, he then finally got 175. Thats why he said it was very inconsistent and thinks something is wrong.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Was the engine properly warmed up .. i.e.: Rev limiter freed up properly ?

Was it hitting 7200 (or whatever your hot limiter is) properly the first few runs ?

Looks 100% fine? About there for the work you've done - the cars always take a few runs to peak. Stop worrying and keep driving the dam thing ;)

Westfield
Yep everyone was leaving the cars to tick over outside for a good while before they went on

Westfield
It has been driven more than ever Tom don't worry about that, can't get enough of the overun ;)

I had no suspicions of a problem as it drives great, just the bloke at Surry RR day seemed to know what he was doing and told me to look into it.

That's Charlies default get out if a customer thinks there car is down on power.

Your's isn't. It's fine. If a 182 makes over 170 beans it a good one.

Tin Can with wheels
mine made 171.4 at the surrey rolling road day.. car fully warmed up (went for a rather long drive to get some food, then back and on the rollers) .. but my graph only went up to 6.800RPM!? and said it had nothing else to give.. my car is a 182 running cat 428's, matched inlets, panel filter/std air box and map for them.. now that's gutting! something wrong with mine somewhere :/

Westfield
ok thanks guys,

Clio_in_Motion_2008 - I was the car on before yours, was a surprising result with cams

Tin Can with wheels
182matt - ahh got yah

could be that, was weird though as my lot headed into town for food took ages in traffic car was nice and hot and was hitting 7.8K rev limit.. just scratching my head now lol

monaco 172
mine made 171.4 at the surrey rolling road day.. car fully warmed up (went for a rather long drive to get some food, then back and on the rollers) .. but my graph only went up to 6.800RPM!? and said it had nothing else to give.. my car is a 182 running cat 428's, matched inlets, panel filter/std air box and map for them.. now that's gutting! something wrong with mine somewhere :/

sounds like your thermostat or cts is stuffed. A standard 182 will rev upto 7200 when hot and most with a remap will hit 7800.

Clio RS 182
There RR sounds fucked to me!

I would take it elsewhere for comparison, if you have the money to do so that is.

Westfield
There RR sounds fucked to me!

I would take it elsewhere for comparison, if you have the money to do so that is.

a standard 182 hit just over 180, and most other cars run pretty close to expected so rollers seemed ok. A 197 even ran over 200 with just a panel filter so if anything would say generous.

SRR is actually very relibale in my expierence. It reads within 1-2bhp every year on the same cars that attend, and usually lands around 1-2 bhp within a comparative reading at RSTuning.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
ok thanks guys,

Clio_in_Motion_2008 - I was the car on before yours, was a surprising result with cams

if they're 428s they do take a bit of torque away. The base map they use is quite rich apparently. Besides, go get it live mapped ;)

Edit:just saw your rev limit, hooky coolant sensor maybe(@Clio in motion)?

Last edited:

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I wouldn't worry, if it's running a base map it can only gain power from a calibration lol. Doesn't mean theres anything wrong with it tbh (id look at your coolant sensor though!)

It can depend on who has strapped the car, if they've rev'd it the limiter (SRR very rarely do) etc. etc. Stock 197's do not make 200bhp panel filter or not so straight away I'd say that one had been allowed to climb off the rear roller or the atmospheric settings were incorrect.

Peak power on 428's is quite a bit higher than 6800RPM as well!

Westfield
I checked my RR print out and the peak power was at 6800RPM too, would this be were the peak power is achieved on a 182 even with a higher rev limit that that??

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
thats perfectly normal for a standard engine - but with 428s/421s you're looking at sacrificing a bit around there and gaining it nearer the limiter