ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had my Clio 172 Test Drive today

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Took the wife and had a test drive of the Clio 172.

The car we tried had done 10,200miles, so was nicely run in and ready to go.

First Impressions:
Comfy Seats (even the wife agreed)
Very quiet (I was expecting rattles/road noise)
Very nippy

Overall, I was most impressed. The wife was too, and shes harder to please with a car :)

I was able to drive the car on a variety of roads, so got to see it in traffic and on a dual carriage way.

Engine
Pick up was responsive, especially after 5,000 revs when the VVT kicks in. Got a nice subtle growl to it.
The clutch bite point was very high, which made it a little hard work to start with, but thats like any new car you drive I guess.

Exterior
On the exterior, the body has clean lines, almost bland. Which for a pocket rocket is just what is needed. People only see what they want to see, and to most people it looks like a little town runabout. The exhaust is hidden nicely below the bumper, which keeps the subtle lines across the rear of the car as well.

Interior
Seats were comfortable, held you in place nicely. Got the wife to sit in the back as well, just to see if there was enough room for the rare occasion when we have rear passengers etc.
The Leather/Alcantara combination gives the car a nice sporty yet comfortable look.
I was expecting a harsher ride and more rattles/creaks than there was, I guess I had the wrong impressions about a hot hatch.

So.... where now?
Ive called the bank, asking for a new loan to cover the difference between my car and the new car.
Awaiting a decision, then once its been agreed, its off to find the right car to buy.

Currently the options I have are:-
My car + 3,900 for the Clio above, 02plate 10,200miles (Total Price 11,500)
My Car + 4,250 for a brand new 53 plate Clio Sport from Trade Sales in Slough (Total Price 11,500)

Fingers crossed the bank likes me and decides itd be a good move giving me the loan.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Good luck, remember there are no new 172s being made, there is only what stock is left in places like trade sales.

What colour is the one from renault.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Both the cars listed above are in Black.

I dont want Silver, no disrespect to those that own silvers, but I think there are too many about.

I would have liked to have seen the Blue 172 but havent found one anywhere.

Both options above have 2yrs Renault warranty, the black ones at TS are Cyprus imports and hence have 2yr instead of 3yr and obviously the 02 plate is second hand.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Your right silver is very popular and is deffinatly the best colour..;)

well thats what I though you were saying anyway.. ask anyone silver is fastest.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy

No doubt about it, silver has always been faster;)

But black is getting very common now also, itll be overtaking silver soon - in number, not literally!!

For your info, Cyprus (and Malta for that matter) only get 1 year.....not even two!

Black is very nice when clean but awful when dirty......its also the one that looks least like a 172 when you see it. I think thats because of the colour itself masking certain features at first glance - i.e. the fact that things are body coloured isnt obvious because a non black 172 would have a black bumper too, whereas a silver non 172 wouldnt have a silver bumper as standard so its immediately obvious what it is!

I do think that black is the "hardest" looking colour. See avatar <----- ;)

You obviously have a few quid headstart with your car and you rarely have passengers in the back.....

hmmmmmm

GET A V6.... ;)

Elise/VX220/R26

Id go for the new one m8. Dont get me wrong its an amazing car but you will need the warranty!!!

Black is the fastest colour, think Ive told you before _KDF! :mad:

Blue or Red are the rare colours, looking back I should have brought the Blue one even if it is a slower colour! :eek:

"Currently the options I have are:-
My car + 3,900 for the Clio above, 02plate 10,200miles (Total Price 11,500)
My Car + 4,250 for a brand new 53 plate Clio Sport from Trade Sales in Slough (Total Price 11,500)"

please check its not an import !
(i,e. phone renault hq and check the vin plate)
they can fudge all the other details, yes even at a renault garage.

if it is you should be paying less, if its not happy driving!

Ziel Nurburgring

Where you from Coco, i dont mind showing you round my Beautiful (and extremely quick) blue one.

sorry didnt read the cyrprus import post

I would say thats a lot for an import m8, also
when they say the warrenty is 2 years left thats bollox
you wont get the AA cover either. Personally i would hold out
for a uk version (same price). Speak to Renault HQ, ask where you stand with an import dont believe the dealers spiel.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Im in Reading Berkshire if anyone wants to give me a "honest" show of their car without sales spiel etc.

Ziel Nurburgring

I work in Winnersh T and live in Maidenhead. So by all means give me a shout and we can hook up. Might be an excuse to get the others in the area to meet up

I live in Maidenhead (Coxs Green), and drive to Farnborough each day, and between Maidenhead and Bracknell I must see about 4 Black 172s each day ! (I have a Silver 172).

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Glad your getting black, its the best colour.. and silver is SOOO common, just look at all the mugs on here with it ;)

get a brand new 182 04! Use their finance company if you want low interest rates. Mine was an option of 0% over 1 year or 5.5% over 2 years

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 31 December 2003
cocopopsmakes a good read what your saying - GO ON BUY IT !!

Im just trying to look at all angles of purchasing a 172.

So far this morning, Ive found out that the warranty on the "new" ones from Trade Sales starts from when Renault delivered the car to whomever in Cyprus and not from when I buy it, therefore it could be much shorter than 2yrs left etc.

Ive also had a call from the Renault Dealer I test drove with yesterday to let me know that the 02 car had 1 owner, and was regd June 2002, meaning the warranty has 18months to go.
It has been fitted with 5 new Pirelli PZeros, as it has an alloy in the boot. All alloys have minor kerbing.

It was encouraging that when I told the dealer I was considering an import, he said "what would we have to do to convince you to buy this one".

So far we havent discussed final prices etc. But the only thing that needs doing soon with the 02 plate car is a service in 1800miles, so I reckon we could get that done as part of the sale etc, worth about 180-200 they reckoned for a first service.

At the moment, it all comes down to whether I can get the extra money from the bank to make the change. My car is finance free, but was bought with a personal loan, so Ive asked the bank to increase the loan to cover the difference. So hence any considerations including renault finance is out of the question.

Thanks for everyones help so far, it really is much appreciated as it means I am aware of all aspects, and not just relying on salesman advice etc.

Regards,

Lee.

Ziel Nurburgring

Tank, where in Cox Green do you live? So far i have spotted 3 in the area, 1) On the Meadowood estate in Silver S4 ***. 2) Down Coxgreen lane in blue 3) One that goes into Loosen drive in blue (Possibly the one above).

Lee, do you want to meet up with me, WackoJacko and dust (Cup) and see what they are like when the dealer isnt sat next to you and get an honest opinion of the cars??

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Guys,

That would be superb, if I could spend some time with you.
I live in Reading, and work in Maidenhead.

I am in Maidenhead on Saturday at my parents near Cox Green, so if anyone is about then?

Feel free to add me to your msn list is that helps? cr1pps(at)hotmail(dot)com swapping the obvious :)

Thanks,

Lee.

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 31 December 2003

So far this morning, Ive found out that the warranty on the "new" ones from Trade Sales starts from when Renault delivered the car to whomever in Cyprus and not from when I buy it, therefore it could be much shorter than 2yrs left etc.
I did say before but it must have got lost in the mass of replies! You dont get 2 years on a Cyprus import (or Malta). You only get 1 year and yes, thats from the original sale date to the Cypriot dealer so you could end up with a 9 or 10 month warranty on a new car. I thought Id say it again because thats a very important point if you did go for the trade sales one. Whoever told you 2 years on Cypriot ones is lying - either that or the rules have changed recently.

"So far we havent discussed final prices etc. But the only thing that needs doing soon with the 02 plate car is a service in 1800miles, so I reckon we could get that done as part of the sale etc, worth about 180-200 they reckoned for a first service."

too right matey - mine had 9200 on the clock when i bought it off renault, got them to chuck in the 12k service, all the little scratches, chips and dinks taken out and asked them to replace a scuffed alloy - and that was before we started talking about the price.

good luck.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Woohoooo!!!

Ive had my loan approved by the bank.

Now its just down to me to choose!

Just found another couple of cars that I want to look at.

2 x Red 172s on 02 plates, one in beckenham and one in Hemel Hempstead.

Gonna be a fun weekend.

2012 WRX Waggon

Nah mate....I overtook Paddys red one at speeds approaching 55mph :eek: on the way to Donnington down the M6, he just couldnt keep up!;)

scary stuff I can tell thee!

<<<<<<we were doing nearly 60 when I took that pic!