ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had my first "pop" - how do I get more?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Out for a thrash, approaching a 3rd gear corner hard in 4th, onto the brakes, blipped as I dropped a gear as I normally do, then as it continued to run down in 3rd, the exhaust popped :D

Tried it repeatedly after that to no avail.

What actually makes it happen? What can I do to make it do it more (sad I know)?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
ooo, i want to know this aswell, but i've been to embrassed to ask, Managed to do it once in the past

the pop is excess fuel in the exhaust system. My GTi-R was the brill for pops and bangs especially with a mongoose exhaust

james

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It does happen occasionally. Usually when very hot. Willy does it all the time tho.

I heard a rumour that if you switch the ignition off while driving then turn it bak on it pops. Dont think its good for the engine though

mine was popping away like a very poppy thing around Brands Hatch....

the video is funny to watch back, bang bang pop bang....

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Beef-Mc said:
I heard a rumour that if you switch the ignition off while driving then turn it bak on it pops. Dont think its good for the engine though

I dont think you will get a loud "pop" doing this, more like a large "bang" when you crash trying it!!

Mondeo TDCI 130
Beef-Mc said:

this is true, but on older carb cars! not very healthy though! my scooby pops and bangs every gear change when its warm! i had a saxo vts that was the same and used to pop flames, but my mates decatted clio just did it occasionally, and it has a few other mods to, must just be the design. Flamer kit..........???:rasp:

Black Gold 182 (Cup Pack)
Beef-Mc said:

Correct, well it did in my mates starlet anyways

172 cup'd extreme
One day last year going to york i was following the nana northy etc and their cars were all popping and flaming

193 mk2
to get poping with a decat, get it up to temp. accelerate hard then come off & blip the accelorator. this usually works for me. i think its just igniting the excess fuel left after accelorating hard. sounds the bizz!

Clio Mk1 1.4RT
Beef-Mc said:

It does work, but! There can be some serious consequences for doing it, some bikers do it going through tunnels or under fly-overs and although it's easier on a bike it will still cause the same kind of damage to the engine. So I would say DONT DO IT!!! Just try pushing your car hard or take it out and try to do everything the same as you did when you got the "POP"

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
OK,
DECAT is pretty much a must for pops and bangs. I used to get little tiny ones before with just a custom cat back, but not much!!!
I find when the car is cold it pops loads until it's warmed up (Firework display style) but of course while it's cold you don't want to shock the engine by driving silly.
What you can do is (once engine is warmed up) in 1st gear take it to about 5000rpm and hold in gear and drop it back down the revs this couses some pops for me and others. You can do the same in 2nd gear and 3rd.

mo brothers focus makes flames when he holds it in 2nd gear and whacks on and off the gogo pedal... can't say that this is any good for the car but he loves it.

Looks cool from behind too :p I don't do this though :D

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Beef-Mc said:

loss of power steering and brakes, enough said

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mine does it, and i do it when the car is on overrun (ie slowing down) just tap the throttle just a little bit, and it sends enough fuel through to go pop, but not enough to start accelerating again.

(BenR Taught me that!!)

clio 172 sport
my clio valver did it all the time givs it a proper rally sound got myself a 172 now and got to admit i miss the popping all valvers do it when de-catted.:evil:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Out for another thrash this afternoon, popped once again. Then I noticed the exhaust is blowing slightly.

Would that explain it - oxygen getting in to help it ignite?

my clio did it loads with a decat, was 2inch bore from manifold back with tiny practically none existent silencers.

it's dead easy to do. drive fast and get the car well into cam and as you back off get it on over run and at that point on the pedal just press it down slightly and constantly and voila, it should pop and flame like a b*****d. my Williams was ace for it, the flames were about a foot long, new one does little farty egg shaped ones... lol

(oh you need a decat too usually... although again, my Williams still pop'd and flamed with the cat on every now and then)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i think its the 172/182 engine and/or management, old valvers and willys do it for fun

Clio 1.8 16v
superfastdan said:
Mine does it, and i do it when the car is on overrun (ie slowing down) just tap the throttle just a little bit, and it sends enough fuel through to go pop, but not enough to start accelerating again.

(BenR Taught me that!!)

mines the same mk1 1.816v with a de-cat on it. can do it all the time

gt_gaz said:
i think its the 172/182 engine and/or management, old valvers and willys do it for fun

dunno, I got a cracking one last night going down the bypass. had a bit of a run in with a GT4, but once I got nicely ahead I got it on over run and the road lit up behind me... love unlit dual carriageways :D

Turbos.
Hi Mark,

Ordered my decat on Friday :D

As has been said, the 172/182 must have some tight mapping as even my 1.2 used to do it a lot with just a cat back k-tec exhaust...

Clio 197
Mine did it the other day...

I was absolutely ragging the t*ts off it, then I came to a traffic jam.

I slowed down in 2nd gear as I approached the traffic, and BANG!

Everyone looked to see what it was!

In town I can get it to happen too, accelerate in 2nd, clutch in then out again (off the gas)m, and I get a loud noise. I'm not sure if it's the exhaust physically knocking, or if it's a Pop.

Dan x2c said:
is a silenced decat gunna hinder the poppin at all?

wouldn't think so no, it's still the same size. I have a Janspeed I think and it will pop and flame on over run... nothing like a Mk1 though, they do it miles better :dapprove:

172 Cup SOLD
arrrrrrrr mine dont, well i havent managed it yet anyway......k-tec stealth shouldnt stop it either?

i want pop's!

'18 Megane dci
Blow up some crisp packets, place them on the passenger seat and let rip with your left hand every now and again, works a treat. ;)