ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake cable fitting

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Quicky lads,

I am changing both cables tomorrow - car is currently on axle stands after i took out the one that had snapped.

I have an idea of what's involved however when I took the knackered one off it wouldn't slide through the hole as the the nipple end (oh er) was obviously too big.

handbrake.jpg

I managed to get it out but that was only because the nipple was missing due to it being snapped off.

How will the brand new cable thread through :confused:

It's probably dead simple :oops:

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Quicky lads,

I am changing both cables tomorrow - car is currently on axle stands after i took out the one that had snapped.

I have an idea of what's involved however when I took the knackered one off it wouldn't slide through the hole as the the nipple end (oh er) was obviously too big.

View attachment 1460435

I managed to get it out but that was only because the nipple was missing due to it being snapped off.

How will the brand new cable thread through :confused:

It's probably dead simple :oops:

Where did you get your handbrake cables from?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Where did you get your handbrake cables from?

Got one from RPD which happens to be the side that went ping and the other off eBay after someone on here recommended it as quite a few don't fit.

I'll report back tomorrow regards fitting them but couldn't understand why the one I took off wouldn't pass through the hole.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Right been at it for 30mins and there is no way the cable threads through as something is stopping it physically, it's the end that attaches to the handbrake adjuster that's too big.

IMG_20200322_132915.jpg

Anyone help us out, getting a bit angry with it now :mad:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
That brown bit of plastic isnt oem. Basically the oem lines have a white clip that is connected to the lines itself. It pushes in exactly like the brown one. Your new line should have the same plastic clip? Pull out the brown one

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
That brown bit of plastic isnt oem. Basically the oem lines have a white clip that is connected to the lines itself. It pushes in exactly like the brown one. Your new line should have the same plastic clip? Pull out the brown one

Oh OK makes sense, that brown bit pictured is metal and turns and turns.

I'll try and pull it out, back in a minute!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
You're a star Louis, pulled out with a bit of force, cheers buddy.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Yeah you should have the white plastic bit on the end of the line that will plug into the hole. Then the cable feeds in and out through the cross member

All done, what a PITA that was though regards access.

Adjusted to 4 clicks as read on here, nice to have a firm handbrake back :)

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Got one from RPD which happens to be the side that went ping and the other off eBay after someone on here recommended it as quite a few don't fit.

I'll report back tomorrow regards fitting them but couldn't understand why the one I took off wouldn't pass through the hole.

Do you have a link to the one not from RPD please mate?

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
  182 Trophy
Adding to this thread for future handbrake cable removal/installs:

DIY:

Tools required:

- 2x Axle stands (minimum)

- 10mm short socket ratchet handle/wrench

- thin nose/needle nose pliers (medium size)

- old screwdriver/punch

- small hammer

- WD40/equivalent

- medium flat head screwdriver

- small flat head screwdriver

Disclaimer: This is purely a guide from my experience removing my drivers side hand brake cable (I assume the process for the passenger side cable is the same), my original cable measured circa 1480mm and will add further detail when installing the new cable.

PXL_20210512_135623628.jpg

1. Jack the car as high as possible on a level surface from the drivers side and put one axle stand under the rear bream and one axle stand just after the subframe braces.

2. with wd40 spray the 4x 10mm bolts on the center exhaust section heat shield then remove these bolts, gently removing the lambda clip in the process.

3. with the shield removed there will be easy access to the front section of the handbrake cable.

4. unhook handbrake cable from rear caliper, spray the cable nipple with WD40 and gently using an old screw driver/punch with a small hammer push the nipple of the cable out.

PXL_20210512_135626949.jpg

5. with the large flathead screwdriver slowly wedge the brown plastic clip away from the tunnel.

PXL_20210512_131012434.jpg

6. with the small flathead screwdriver push the clip in brown plastic clip and this should free the cable sheathing (image of the clip below)

PXL_20210512_135631195.jpg

7. uncook the front of the cable from the handbrake adjuster and slide the whole cable out. (the brown plastic trim does not need to be removed, it acts as a guide for the handbrake cable)

PXL_20210512_130956873.jpg

To install, reverse the whole process.

182 Trophy
Received my new OSR/Right/Drivers Side handbrake cable by First Line: FKB 3048

The failure point was right at the pivot arm at the back of the cable where the black sheathing had come apart exposing the cable to the elements.

I can report that the lengths (give or take 5mm) and quality seem to match the factory original cable. I'll report back once I've installed it next week. Images below.
PXL_20210514_152440578.jpg

PXL_20210514_151949938.jpg

PXL_20210514_152020345.jpg

PXL_20210514_152044263.jpg

182 Trophy
As above the following Firstline (owns Borg & Beck) hand brake cables are confirmed to fit the Clio 182

Passenger Side/NSR/Left Side: BKB 3049/FKB 3049
Drivers Side/OSR/Right Side: BKB 3048/FKB 3048

Installation:

With the handbrake in the car down, loosen the handbrake adjuster (13mm deep socket, leave the socket there as you will need to come back to it later), don't need to back the nut all the way out, just enough for the cables to be loose. Then from the back side of the car through the tunnel (clip end first) slot in the cable and clip it into the tunnel. Also make sure the brown cable guide is in place before you put the cable through otherwise you will be in a whole world of trouble.
PXL_20210518_095056717.jpg

PXL_20210518_093123331.jpg

PXL_20210518_093126746.jpg

Then run the rest of the cable as per the original cable through the clip under the fuel tank, through the guide hole in the rear axle and then into the caliper.

PXL_20210518_093137427.jpg

PXL_20210518_093140648.jpg

PXL_20210518_093324012.jpg

Then clip the end of the cable to the caliper swing arm
PXL_20210518_094448493.jpg

After this, pull the handbrake in the car up 4 clicks and tighten the handbrake adjuster until there is enough bite on the discs. How I tested this was by putting the wheel back on and seeing how easily it would spin using my breaker bar on the wheel nut. If necessary tighten a bit further and then to test that you haven't over tightened, release the handbrake and see if you can freely spin the rear wheel by hand.

Finally reinstall the midpipe heat shield + lambda sensor clip:

Total time including removal was around 70 minutes.

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
As above the following Firstline (owns Borg & Beck) hand brake cables are confirmed to fit the Clio 182

Passenger Side/NSR/Left Side: BKB 3049/FKB 3049
Drivers Side/OSR/Right Side: BKB 3048/FKB 3048

Installation:

With the handbrake in the car down, loosen the handbrake adjuster (13mm deep socket, leave the socket there as you will need to come back to it later), don't need to back the nut all the way out, just enough for the cables to be loose. Then from the back side of the car through the tunnel (clip end first) slot in the cable and clip it into the tunnel. Also make sure the brown cable guide is in place before you put the cable through otherwise you will be in a whole world of trouble.
View attachment 1539489
View attachment 1539491
View attachment 1539492

Then run the rest of the cable as per the original cable through the clip under the fuel tank, through the guide hole in the rear axle and then into the caliper.

View attachment 1539502
View attachment 1539501
View attachment 1539500

Then clip the end of the cable to the caliper swing arm
View attachment 1539497

After this, pull the handbrake in the car up 4 clicks and tighten the handbrake adjuster until there is enough bite on the discs. How I tested this was by putting the wheel back on and seeing how easily it would spin using my breaker bar on the wheel nut. If necessary tighten a bit further and then to test that you haven't over tightened, release the handbrake and see if you can freely spin the rear wheel by hand.

Finally reinstall the midpipe heat shield + lambda sensor clip:

Total time including removal was around 70 minutes.
Nice write up and info mate 👍

Renault Clio 182
I’ve only just found this thread and just this second ordered both cables after looking for ages, emailing various suppliers, none of which had the right parts or could point me in the right direction.
Fingers crossed they fit but regardless, you sir deserve a pint!

perazzi

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Like you Dave I've just found this thread and would like to say a massive thank you to whereislee; 🍷 🍷 .

Dave, did they fit? I was/am in the same situation as you were.... 😢

Cheers

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hi, I have to replace my cables also (especially the rear right one) and am curious about a few things:

There are two numbers around here for the cabe lenghts: 1480 and 1420mm
But I have a guy working at a large online store and asked him to verify this for me and he came up with these 2 OE part numbers:
8200228260 with the specified length of 1450/1170 (probably outer and inner lenghts)
8200228347 with 1378/1101 mm
So if searching via the VIN number of my car those 2 OE numbers show up, how come they're shorter than everybody here states they should be?

He found me some TRW cables (as OE ones are no longer available of course) and he's sure they'll fit. But I really want to spare me the hassle of trial and error so what's the story here? are 1450/1378 indeed too short? Why are they specified as compatible then? Is there a glitch in the parts system that trows up wrong items for these cables?
I'm outside the UK so I can't get the Borg&Beck stuff except from the ebay but I have just a few days to sort it untill MOT and I can't wait a week or so till they arrive.
TRW numbers that I found are:
GCH435 rear left(1378mm)
GCH436 rear right (1450mm)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
p.s: here's the description of the Firstline FKB3048 found on ebay:

Item specifics​

Condition:
New
Brand:
First Line
Manufacturer Part Number:
FKB3048
MPN:
FKB3048
EAN:
Type:
Cable, parking brake
Function:
Cable, parking brake
Length 1:
1450 mm
Reference OE/OEM Number:
A.B.S.: K16918, APEC braking: CAB1354, BORG & BECK: BKB3048, BOSCH: 1987482040, COFLE: 11.6599, FAI AutoParts: FBC0359, FEBI BILSTEIN: 109488, LPR: C1001B, QUINTON HAZELL: BC4152, RENAULT: 8200228260, sbs: 9039115, TRISCAN: 8140251143, TRW: GCH436
Unit Quantity:

You can see as equivalent the reanult part number and the TRW one among others and the specified length of 1450mm! So again is it 1450 or 1480?
link to the cable:

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Update:
Fitted the TRW cables with 1450/1378mm stated lengths and they fit just nice.
But.... Go figure with brand new cables the handbrake is absolutely useless. If the car is stopped and I pull in the lever like an animal it barely stands still sort of.. But if I pull hard while moving even at 10-20mph it just goes like it has no brakes. One of the old cables was shot and if I pulled hard enough I could lock one wheel but now it just does not stop whatsoever! What the hell? What am I missing? The lever is adjusted properly, there's no question about that, cable tension spot on.

182 Trophy
Update:
Fitted the TRW cables with 1450/1378mm stated lengths and they fit just nice.
But.... Go figure with brand new cables the handbrake is absolutely useless. If the car is stopped and I pull in the lever like an animal it barely stands still sort of.. But if I pull hard while moving even at 10-20mph it just goes like it has no brakes. One of the old cables was shot and if I pulled hard enough I could lock one wheel but now it just does not stop whatsoever! What the hell? What am I missing? The lever is adjusted properly, there's no question about that, cable tension spot on.
you may need to adjust the piston in the caliper. The handbrake on our cars rely on the pivot arm to manually activate the piston to clamp the pads onto the disc. Check your caliper guides too as they might not be moving as freely as they should.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Sort it. The new calipers were utter crap. Bought second hand Bosch originals, rebuild them with new sliders and pistons and now the hand brake is stronger than ever.
Advice: careful when buying aftermarket rear calipers! Especially if they are something like Kamoka or other cheap brand..

182 Trophy
Sort it. The new calipers were utter crap. Bought second hand Bosch originals, rebuild them with new sliders and pistons and now the hand brake is stronger than ever.
Advice: careful when buying aftermarket rear calipers! Especially if they are something like Kamoka or other cheap brand..
nice! yeah I did my handbrake cable in conjunction with a new pagid caliper. made a world of difference!

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Started tackling this today while I had a free hour before going out. The torx bolts area already being awkward, don't think they've ever been out. This is going to be fun, yey

Last edited:

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Torx bolts? Don't remember coming across any.
My centre piece of heat shield is held in by 4x large head torx bolts. Drilled the back two out in the end and just managed to work with the space I had. Will have to figure out reattaching it another time.