ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake snapped!

BG 182
My handbrake snapped on the drivers side today so I'm looking for the cheapest place to get a new set of cables as I might aswell replace both while I'm on! Is it a easy job to do if anyone knows of a guide or something woul we a great help thanks

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Easy
Slacken off cable inside on hand brake
Jack up use axel stands
remove heat shield 4 bolts which maybe seized
remove cable from caliper
unclip from divider under hand brake
pull out cables
fit new cables bought from german and swedish

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Pics

DSC_0888.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

DSC_0884.jpg

DSC_0888.jpg

Now Sold :-(
after you have taken the non gen ones back three times as they don't fit you will be happy to pay the extra.

Lionel Richie
^GSF don't do cables for the RS cars, neither do any other parts suppliers

fit genuine (modiffied parts now that don't fail) and only about £30 each

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
^ well the part number is fkb2606 fkb2605 and were exactly the same as the ones that came off when laid side by side ? !
Ps I am not arguing with you !

CLIO PH1 172
How much were they from gsf? This for a ph 1 or ph2 if not what's the difference anybody know?

BG 182
so is genuine the way to go then thanks for the pics btw! and will most reno dealers have the cables in stock??

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
I was quoted £35 + VAT for each side by my local Renault dealer on Saturday. Not in stock but can be within 48 hours. There's a Renault parts store on the bay that advertises replacement handbrake cables for the 172/182 at £16 each but after seeing a couple of comments about fitment issues, I might just bite the bullet and fork out the 80 quid for the genuine ones, ouch!

Ph1 172
I went for cheaper motor factor cables, didn't fit correctly at all. have now oredered some through NWP.

BG 182
I've been quoted 52.10 for a set!24.05 for each cable and 4 postage! from west Renault on here very good price!

Last edited:
  172/vx220t/m135i
I've been quoted 52.10 for a set!24.05 for each cable and 4 postage! from west Renault on here very good price!

I tried 3 or 4 non-genuine cables of which none would fit before conceding and buying a genuine pair from west renault also, mine however were £69.40 for the pair delivered back in November so you got a great price there!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F

I bought mine from Wests Renault (great service) after the ones from the local motorfactors didn't fit.

I tried the local place first as mine snapped the night before the car was booked in for it's M.O.T. test.

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
I was quoted £35 + VAT for each side by my local Renault dealer on Saturday. Not in stock but can be within 48 hours. There's a Renault parts store on the bay that advertises replacement handbrake cables for the 172/182 at £16 each but after seeing a couple of comments about fitment issues, I might just bite the bullet and fork out the 80 quid for the genuine ones, ouch!

Renault has now agreed to give me a discount so I can get both sides now for £60 inc VAT, so that's a bit easier to swallow and I know they'll fit OK.