ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HANS Device for Trackdays

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
So after my little off and my wife's only comment of "you need a new helmet" ringing in my ears I have been looking for new helmets the question I have been pondering is whether getting a HANS device is a but over the top or is it case of "if you can afford it then it makes sense".

Im not worried about looking a it of a helmet using one as they are a safety device with clear benefits but wondering whether its a bit much.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
The Simpson hybrid is a lot nicer to wear and they do one that works with normal 3 point belts, I wish I'd gotten one of them now but they are a massive amount more than hans if you get one that isn't a posh CF version.

IIRC I got a Schroth XLT and was sub 300

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like about £260ish plus delivery which is decent. So many options need to figure out if I need 10 or 20 degs - But it all feeds into my thought process that its the right thing to do.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
It makes sense to me, I’d certainly buy one again if I had a car with harnesses. Seems cheap compared to potential spinal cord damage 😂

The number of cars I see advertised with harnesses where they’re incorrectly mounted so the drivers spine gets compressed in a smash still boggles my mind.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
It makes sense to me, I’d certainly buy one again if I had a car with harnesses. Seems cheap compared to potential spinal cord damage 😂

The number of cars I see advertised with harnesses where they’re incorrectly mounted so the drivers spine gets compressed in a smash still boggles my mind.
Seen a few with harness bars being used as a mounting point as well!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Do you have a roll cage ?
If you use a Hans device , cross the belts over before they go through the seats , it'll stop the belt slipping off the hans in a bump , we do in the rally cars

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've never used one, my mate has one for the race series he is in and says initially they are quite annoying but you soon get used to it. There are some alternatives I believe but no idea what they are like, hybrids? I think they might be called?

Which is more like a harness/vest. I need to read up on it more as its something I would certainly invest in especially if I am doing more track days next year in the fiberglass bath tub.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've never used one, my mate has one for the race series he is in and says initially they are quite annoying but you soon get used to it. There are some alternatives I believe but no idea what they are like, hybrids? I think they might be called?

Which is more like a harness/vest. I need to read up on it more as its something I would certainly invest in especially if I am doing more track days next year in the fiberglass bath tub.

Simpson Hybrid, they're like £700+

simhs-med-11-pa-fia_d1_3.jpg

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
HANS devices are definitely worth it, I’ve been using one since 2013 and I don’t get in a car on track without one. Slightly annoying to begin with but really not that bad.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I wouldn’t do a trackday without one these days so would absolutely get the kit. I have a bell sport 5 and every level schroth hans. Package was about £550 in early 2020

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Would you folks say that its still worth getting one even if you don't have other safety gear such as fireproof clothing etc?
Its a tricky one as its almost like you're choosing how to be injured. But I'd say my car is more likely to go into a wall than go on fire, but you can never really tell.
Obviously I'd need a HANS helmet, but are the special harnesses necessary or just preferred? I've got a 3" harness I'd rather not replace.
Also, seeing as we're discussing safety, what's the general feeling on open face helmets? Obviously it restricts what you can have a passenger ride in, but I find my closed face helmet annoying, and trying a friends open face felt like I didn't have a helmet on.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Would you folks say that its still worth getting one even if you don't have other safety gear such as fireproof clothing etc?
Its a tricky one as its almost like you're choosing how to be injured. But I'd say my car is more likely to go into a wall than go on fire, but you can never really tell.
Obviously I'd need a HANS helmet, but are the special harnesses necessary or just preferred? I've got a 3" harness I'd rather not replace.

I was speaking with my mate who races in the Civic cup, even when he does track days and test days he wears all his kit including nomex. While crashing is the most likely thing to happen (as I did last time out at cadwell) the likelihood of it being bad is relatively low. However if you car has an oil leak or fuel leak that will be bad even if its rare so the risks of actually needing the kit is probably comparable - if that makes sense?

He also said that he knew a chap that had an oil leak the oil got into the cabin and onto his legs and melted the joggers he was wearing and they just stuck to his legs, it was pretty grim.

I think in time I will invest in some fireproof leggings at the very least.

Tarticmonkey

ClioSport Club Member
  CLIO 197 CUP,
Also, seeing as we're discussing safety, what's the general feeling on open face helmets? Obviously it restricts what you can have a passenger ride in, but I find my closed face helmet annoying, and trying a friends open face felt like I didn't have a helmet on.
Yes, you only have one neck. I think i will be purchasing next year as my helmet has HANS posts already.

Might also invest in a fire proof shirt though that does feel a bit full kit W******

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve ordered a HANS device but as said how far do you go ? Full fireproof suit ? plus I always take a passenger, becomes expensive when you have to buy 2 of everything