ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Happy With Your Car?

Racing Blue 182 Cup
This site is great for problem solving issues and has helped me on a few occasions. My car is used for the school run, shops and comuting a short distance to work. Just recently I've had a couple of spirited drives and at the moment the car is running great, it's just had a service and new Brembos fitted and I'm really loving the car just now. When these Clios (mine being a 182) are on form for the price we've paid there can't be many cars out there that give the grin factor like these do. So what I'm trying to say is if your having issues right now hang in there as there is a great car waiting to be unleashed!

PB Clio 172
agree, mine is far from problems and has been the best car yet and I can't think of owning one better ! :approve:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
mine drives me nuts all the time, but when I just plant the right foot and shoot off to the horizon, god do I love it (mk 1)

Monaco 172
I usually change my cars every 6 months, got my ph2 in feb this year...... its my 32nd car! and I love it. When I get back from afghan next year its having all belts and a full service at ren-tec in portsmouth and all being well i should have trouble free motoring for many miles to come!

S3, Polo
I'm still in the period of ownership where I'm sorting all the bits to make me happy with my car.#

I'm over the moon with the car, but as an OCD/ perfectionist-type, I sometimes feel that when I tackle an -ostensibly small- job that I notice something else I want to sort. It's like setting about a task is opening a can of worms!

I look at it like an on-going project and that helps me cope... :rasp:

172 cup
I love the type of car but not happy with mine. Last month it has decided to start knocking from everywhere and the engine sounds like a tractor. I will love it again when sort but my wallet won't.

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Mine isnt a sport but love it all the same.

Has been fault free and covers the miles all day nearly every day. Will be upgarding to a sport in the next 6 months. This is my first french little hatch from swedish and german cars and really like the cars.

clio sport 172
Agree with all that's been said havnt owned mine long but absoloutly love it! After having 6 Peugeot hot hatches this is by far the best Iv had!

GT 86
Right here goes then I've had my RS 200 now for 10 months, I'm not unhappy with the car I just don't love it, the car has given me no problems so far and runs as sweet as a nut. I just can't put my finger on it, I don't know if its that my expectations of what it was going to be were too high but it just doesn't float my boat as it were. I had a 197 before and I have to say that it performed better than the 200. I had a Type R (EP3) before that and maybe its because I try to compare the 200, sorry and I'm sure someone will flame me for this but the Honda was better than both Renaults in my opinion. However upon saying that I will persevere as I'm not in a position to change the car at the moment maybe in time love will blossom :)), plus I don't like the new Type R

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Loving mine, it owes me nothing, has low miles, goes well, handles like its on rails, cheap insurance and I can't replace it with anything better without having to pay a fair amount. I like 200's for instance but for the money they cost, much better cars can be had, let's hope their value drops a fair bit once the new rs is out. What's the point of getting a 7k loan out for a 'better' car when my Clio ticks all the boxes?

BG182FF
I came over to renaultsports from the peugeot hot hatches too, was a touch decision but its paid off for sure :)

133/225/CLS AMG
I've had 8 Renaults, 4 of which have been RenaultSport models and all have been good cars.

Admittedly I do think a Renault needs to be treated respectfully and carefully. They won't hold up to a really hard life in terms of interior build and their electrics are fragile. I could probably list on one hand the number of faults I've actually had with all of my past and present cars.

Ironically the least reliable car I've owned was a VW!

BG 182 FF
Had mine a little over a week. One of the alarm switches has broken, and the rear access release on the drivers side seat has failed but I don't care, I love the car to bits. It's fast, handles brilliantly, rides well and is a comfy place to be. I know it's going to throw little things up at me, it is a Renault but that'll just improve my mechanical ability and let me get to know the car better. This is going to be very, very hard to beat.

RB 182 195bhp
Had my 172 Cup for a few months now, very happy with it coming from a 306 GTI-6. Performs better in everyway IMO, but i do miss the gear ratio's of the pug lol

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
had my 182 nearly 2 and a half years now. i love it because, its small, fairly cheap to run insure etc, has alot of kit for 'just' a clio (cc, climate etc) i still love the look of it. and i can add my own little touch to it to make it different to others :eek: and its parked next to it big bro at night (my dads vee)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Ironically the least reliable car I've owned was a VW!

me too, and imo its not iroically, VW's fall apart, no idea why they have a rep for good build quality, they are not built well from my experience when they age past like 6 years, they feel solid upto then, after that they flall apart

Never had a problem in just over 2 years of ownership, I do want something RWD though, there's an itch and I need to scratch it!

They say "oh it's french its a bag of nails" - I think the people who have cars that constantly break down just choose s**t cars, there's plenty of them out there all makes and models.

Iceberg 172
I will be happy when I get a new bonnet and, get my front and rear bumper resprayed, and get my dephaser replaced

133/225/CLS AMG
me too, and imo its not iroically, VW's fall apart, no idea why they have a rep for good build quality, they are not built well from my experience when they age past like 6 years, they feel solid upto then, after that they flall apart

Well it's certainly less ironic now I've owned one but the perceived build quality is that they are good.

The Lupo I had felt well put together, sturdy seats, nice dash, solid thud when shutting the doors. Just the mechanics were fragile and the electrics weren't perfect either.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I think its that that does it, its the feel of a VW when its new, its sucks you in, but I've driven loads over the years and its literally after 6 years bits come loose, fall off, electrics go wrong, turbos blow, all sorts of general disintegration. the 56 plate works Passat is shocking, its only done 70k and the dash squeaks like nothing I've ever heard, the brakes are terrible despite new everything, the clutch is in tatters and that's the second one already, loads of the boot trim has come away, the main loom in the bay has rubbed through twice and the alarm goes off all the time and no matter how many times its 'fixed' it lasts a month and does it again, its a total total shed of a car

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not liked a car since my RB tbh.

I'm going to run my cup into the ground, decided its not even worth doing the belts, if it goes then i'll break it and should easily make back what it owes me.

I really want a jeep wrangler atm, or a 3 series maybe. Something different to hot hatches for a while, but will just run the cup for the time being.

I had the same experience with a VW! Everytime you took it for a good rip down the lanes, clunk squeak clunk.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member

I'm going to run my cup into the ground, decided its not even worth doing the belts, if it goes then i'll break it and should easily make back what it owes me.

I really want a jeep wrangler atm, or a 3 series maybe. Something different to hot hatches for a while, but will just run the cup for the time being.

sold the trophy then jenic?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
No i want another clio.. The RB thats currently in the FS section is the one i want... I need my plate off like 3 days ago andthe car gone but by the time the megs gone the Clio willhave sold :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
almost, just need to work out why the aux belt is squeaking and stop it.....and get a cage. then ill be happy with mine!!

i think all that jazz about german being well build and french being terrible was relevant 10-15 years ago. but since then renault have got their act together a bit, and VW have started cutting corners for extra profit so its all evened out tbh. every car will break some way or another.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
almost, just need to work out why the aux belt is squeaking and stop it.....and get a cage. then ill be happy with mine!!

i think all that jazz about german being well build and french being terrible was relevant 10-15 years ago. but since then renault have got their act together a bit, and VW have started cutting corners for extra profit so its all evened out tbh. every car will break some way or another.

was thinking this just now! german built a while back yes but not so much anymore imo

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I absolutely adore my Ph1

It has taken me a lot of thinking, time, trial and error and hard work to get it correct but I genuinely believe it is the PERFECT fast road/ occasional track car!

I love every part of it and would no change anything.

It is still a very nice place to be on the M25 driving 300miles up and down the country delivering 37mpg+

On a back road hack the induction noise puts a massive smile on my face, as does the power delivery. The handling and feedback the car gives is perfect and very predicable. You know exactly what the cars going to do long before it does.

On the track even when pushing the car at 12/10ths the car feels just a alive and just relays so much information back to the driver. One on my favourite parts of this car is the way it turns in. Even when you barrel arse into a corner far too fast, and you think your going to end up under steering straight on, it just doesn't. It may look a mess and may not be the best way round a corner but it still seems to go round no matter how much too fast your entry is.

The spec is as flows

Engine-
ARP rod bolts
197 cams dialled in at my own spec
182 exhaust manifold
Stone RS2 inlet manifold with some MWM internal work
ITG maxiogen filter
De cat
Magnex exhaust with modified rear tip
Pure Motorsport air con delete kit

Suspension-

White line rear anti roll bar
Polyflex wishbone bushes
Polyflex inner and outer ARB bushes
Cup wishbones
Eibech camber bolts
Gen Renault Cup dampers
Eibech Sportline springs
Gen Renault top mounts
Gen Renault ball joints

Brakes-
Gen Renault rear discs and pads
Pagid RS blue 4-2 front brake pads
Brembo hi carbon discs.

Clio 182, VW Caddy

Interesting to hear someone else say they 'don't think it is worth doing the belts'. I got my 182 for peanuts with no history and a handful of minor niggles that I've been sorting out as I go. Everyone keeps telling me to get the belts done but I'm kinda thinking I'll take my chances and just break it if/when it goes. I'm no mechanic and I don't know how often the belts do actually go but If I'd spent £3k + on the car I'd be more worried about it.

1eight2
I was until it started to break. Now its a gamble every time I start it.

Probably time to order some breakdown cover...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 200 was nothing but problems from day one, 15 dealer trips was enough, after 10 months ive never been so glad to see the back of a car while at the same time never been so sad to see one go!!!! its strange! ive had some awesome drives in it but unfortunaltey its broken or falling apart more often than i get to have a mad blast in it so its not worth keeping. 13k miles in 10 months is enough! ill probably have another when they are £5k in a few years!

182 Cup, Camaro Z28
eah I really like the RS, my first was last year a 172 cup which I sold to a friend only cause I got a good deal out of it...now I have the inferno 182 cup...I've done the bits I wanted to make it what I wanted.... although it didnt surprise me as much as the first car this is much better to drive and still has a nice grin factor when im on a hoon, but confy on motoway too. These little cars really have impressed me and the stick they get reving to 7k and still been fine and drive civilised as well is awesome, plus better Mpg than a type R.

172 exclusive no 172
I love my clio 2001 exclusive , mainly it has the fuel economy when i need it, and then the power when i want to play,
With having such a unique number 172 of 172 and low mileage currently only 35100 i will be with me for some time, if i get a job further a field i will get a cheap diesel.

She is going in tomorrow for coilovers to be fitted and decat

182 FF
Coming from a jap car background I never thought I'd be as impressed with my 182 as I am! Total newbie to the clios but there's something about being in it/ driving it that's totally addicting lol! Mine is completely standard and I can't wait to get some money together and splash out on it!

172/1.2/E30
Love it to bits. Bang for buck it's one of the best cars i've ever driven. Will keep it for the rest of my life i guess.

Clio 182 FF
Coming from a troubled 02 Audi s3....I brought my 182 as a stop gap before moving on again. But still have it since 09 :pI have had no real issues apart from wear and tear and love the car still today. Deals with everything I throw at it including snowy Kent country lanes.

I have to admit I have had a wondering eye in the past few months for a 3 series, but am scared of the big bills. People forget old performance cars still have expensive parts.

Love the plucky Clio its just a great hot hatch

bg182ff
For the money its the best car i can own if i want to dodle around town quietly i can and on the b roads im chasing down cars that on paper its no contest but throw in traffic and the tight bends and im huntting down f430's and aston's!!!?????? And when you see the f430 behind with the noes in the air you know he's giving it some!! The lastguy in a db9 was so pissed i kept up behind him for 30 miles (traffic holding him up and im passing right up the prancing ponies gearbox!! That when we hit swindon he flew off (i back off in towns to high risk for kids/people) ive looked for other cars but nothing offers as many thrils as the rs for the money :D