ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harness Mounting Points

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Afternoon All,

As some of you may know I've recently fitting a rear SD rear cage and this weekend coming I'm picking up the bucket seat & harness, which leads me on to my next question, Harness mounting points.

Here is a pic of my car/cage (ASW!)
IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

I've purchase two Sabelt 6 point harness, the shoulder straps will be mounted to the cage, however I would like to see how people have mounted the crotch and lap belts.

If helps I'll be running a pair of Corbeau Clubsport seats on VBD X-Low subframes and I would appreciate pics of where you guys have mounted the crotch and lap belts.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

330i. E30 Touring.
Really, that's great if so however I was told by someone else that the I would need to drill the floor to mount them?
The only one you may have to drill and plate the floor for is the crotch belt. Everything else should be able to be done by the standard seatbelt mounting points with eyebolts, or on the subframe.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
The only one you may have to drill and plate the floor for is the crotch belt. Everything else should be able to be done by the standard seatbelt mounting points with eyebolts, or on the subframe.

Thanks again for the response. I was hoping I could use the standard mounting points for the lap.

19400722_10211538432308775_963895588_o.jpg

Here is a pic of the subframe I'll be using from this pic I can't make out where the seatbelt mounting point is by the handbrake...

Thanks again for the help.

danterzza

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I have the same cage but with trendlines in a trophy, if I use a four point can I use the existing mounting points?

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
STILL NOT SURE...
I fitted my seats this weekend however I'm still no further in knowing where I mount the lap strap? I don't believe there are any mounting positions on my subframe therefore am I best welding new fixing points for these as well as the crotch strap?

Any pics of how other members have mounted would be great.

Pics of how the car currently looks:

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3343.JPG

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Removed the outside seatbelt rail and fit one of these in it's place.

omp_eyebolt.jpg

For the straps on the inside near the handbrake, get one of those eyebolts like above but with a long thread and a nut and replace the inside rear bolt that holds the subframe down with that. So the eyebolt holds the subframe down on that corner as well as providing a place to clip the strap to.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Removed the outside seatbelt rail and fit one of these in it's place.

omp_eyebolt.jpg

For the straps on the inside near the handbrake, get one of those eyebolts like above but with a long thread and a nut and replace the inside rear bolt that holds the subframe down with that. So the eyebolt holds the subframe down on that corner as well as providing a place to clip the strap to.

Thanks for the response, that makes perfect sense now.

I just used the below brackets, I fixed one to the bolt at the back of the subframe hand brake side, and one between my cage and OE seat belt mount. You would only need one though as you can use an eye bolt for the OE belt point by the drivers door, you'll need an m10 eye bolt with longest tread possible.

https://www.msar.co.uk/motorsports/...Harness-Hardware/Schroth-B23A-Bracket_88.html

I was looking at these the other day.

Thanks both.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Great thread.answers a few questions I had when I posted a similar thread an hour ago.

When you secured the subframe handbrake side, was it bolted through the chassis, so you bolted though the floor?
And was it hard bolting the door side bolts, as they sit on a bridge rather than bolting straight thru?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I will get pictures of where I put mine. But behind the rear of the handbrake the tunnel has a flat spot, drill it and put a spreader plate on the underside. Fit another eye bolt there, might need someone to stop it spinning around as you tighten it (unless you can wedge it with a bar or screwdriver).
Crotch strap, drill the floor and use spreader plates, or get one welded in if you can with captive nut(s) on

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I will apologise, I've just spent an hour or so messing around in the garage with the Clio and didn't take pictures as said. However, the ring is where I drilled, outer eyebolt in the seatbelt guides hole. (Marked in up RB for you though! Ha)
I got my eyebolts and spreader plates from jjc race and rally

Attachments

• IMG_7480.JPG
    IMG_7480.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 606

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I will apologise, I've just spent an hour or so messing around in the garage with the Clio and didn't take pictures as said. However, the ring is where I drilled, outer eyebolt in the seatbelt guides hole. (Marked in up RB for you though! Ha)
I got my eyebolts and spreader plates from jjc race and rally

Which spreader plates did you use? The square shape plates or the thinner rectangular plates?
Also does anyone know how far apart the crotch strap mounting points need to be away from each other?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
@Stuiemc i used the square ones, the one under the exhaust tunnel needed a small amount cutting off the corner. then gave them a good covering of underseal once bolted up

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I will get pictures of where I put mine. But behind the rear of the handbrake the tunnel has a flat spot, drill it and put a spreader plate on the underside. Fit another eye bolt there, might need someone to stop it spinning around as you tighten it (unless you can wedge it with a bar or screwdriver).
Crotch strap, drill the floor and use spreader plates, or get one welded in if you can with captive nut(s) on

Thanks.

Really helpful.

I'm fitting them this weekend all things being well.

Tom

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
@Stuiemc i used the square ones, the one under the exhaust tunnel needed a small amount cutting off the corner. then gave them a good covering of underseal once bolted up

Did you have to drop the exhaust or remove any heat shielding? Going to order the plates now think I've got some eye bolts spare. Mounted the eyebolts and speaker plates for my crutch strap today.

IMG_0989.JPG

They sit behind giving a 20 degree angle as per the Schroth guide.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Did you have to drop the exhaust or remove any heat shielding? Going to order the plates now think I've got some eye bolts spare. Mounted the eyebolts and speaker plates for my crutch strap today.

View attachment 195157

They sit behind giving a 20 degree angle as per the Schroth guide.
Can't remember exactly, but I'm sure if the heat shielding was in the way I'd have just bent it out the way and then bent it back.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
why does everyone suggest long bolts when fitting the subframe to the floorpan- your not leaving the OEM spacers on are you?
As when I fit the JonFos subframe to the floor pan strut, closest to the door passenger side, after taking off the 2 rubber bungs, theres only a few mm of steel meaning I only need a fully threaded 2 or 3 cms at most length bolt with washers either side and Nyloc bolt?
am hoping that's all that's need on all 4 corners.

then same size bolts to fit seat mounts to subframe?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Cant edit above post, so I was going to add, it must be people are using the spacers? as guessing the seats are too low- that right? Anything better to use than OEMs spacers as they seem a bit feeble?
I haven't offered a seat up, will do that Sunday

Off to a Wedding sales pitch, to see how much money the daughter wants out of me for her forthcoming event....

How tall are you? I'm 6ft and have no spacers and have them as low as possible, but I have the crap runners the Clubsports come with and it's not low enough for me.

I'm gonna try and remove the runners tomorrow and see the difference.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Ah... I'm a shortie at 5"7" so maybe best to leave the spacers out? will give it a go
The seat (Passenger) i am working on is mainly for transport of the wife in a Clubsport seat, so she may be well low.... :)

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I removed the spacers when fitting the subframes. I am also running the @JON FOZ items. My seats are bolted via the side mounts directly to the subframe and I love how low they sit.

I'm using 40mm bolts to secure the subframe down.

I'm just shy of 6ft.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I removed the spacers when fitting the subframes. I am also running the @JON FOZ items. My seats are bolted via the side mounts directly to the subframe and I love how low they sit.

I'm using 40mm bolts to secure the subframe down.

I'm just shy of 6ft.

I didnt use the spacers , passenger side anyway, as i fitted that today. (Drivers side to do)
Used 30mm high tensile bolts and big washers either side
Didnt use runners either, bolted the side mounting plates straight to the subframe and seems great. Wife not tried it yet, tho

2 bolts door side are easy, but 2 bolts under exhaust are a pain. The one toward the back of the car not too bad, but the one nearest gearstick was a PITA. Didnt want to drop exhaust, so was really fiddly, but did it. (Piece of cotton and string)

Now just the drivers side to do, which isnt supplied with runners anyways (Corbeau Pro Series 1)